Hi everyone,

For the last month or so ive been playing my brothers Squier. Now and again my brothers will ask a favour which is normally either unessecery or ridiculous but threatens that if i do not help him, he will take the guitar away. I am getting rather sick of this and i am looking to buy a guitar of my own. Now i know that there are a lot of different brands out there but here are a few of my likes/dislikes:

Ibanez
Bc Rich

Dislikes
Fender (no real hatetred just dont like the way they feel)

I found a rather cheap les paul package and was wondering if it would be any good as a first guitar. the link is here

Also can anyone post links to any other starter packs for les paul, bc rich or ibanez max price is around £300.
Good ibanez are GSA 60, or GAX for a more les-paul like guitar.
Cheap epiphones are the LP special II, which is alright, but you can get better at that price. Agile make good LP copies.
B.C. Rich make a starter pack, but their guitars sound like crap due to gay pickups. Avoid them.
well now that the bc rich is out of the picture can anybody suggest where i could get an epi les paul from, preferably in the uk and links are helpful. thanks.
Epiphone Les Paul 100 and a Marshall MG15DFX amp or Vox AVT15 amp.

Not a starter pack, but it is in your price range and it's a good guitar that will last you longer than just the beginner phase. The amps are both smallish practice amps. Be sure to try both out. Some people love MG's, some hate them. I love my MG50DFX. The Vox amp is a great alternative if you don't like the MG.
My Gear:

Washburn WI14 Electric
Washburn D10s Acoustic
Marshall MG100HDFXR Special Edition
Marshall MG412AR Special Edition

Quote by Danno13
^Xenn is my favorite MG owner EVAR.

Quote by jj1565
^ Xenn fav MG user evar
Last edited by Xenn99 at May 28, 2006,
thanks for that cal.

Xenn. i have actually used an mg before and i liked the fact that you can have a wide range of tone and styles so i think thats going to be what i get.
Last edited by (insertnamehere at May 29, 2006,
If your brother has an electric guitar already that means he has an amp right?? If so just steal his. Guitar wise, if you find something you like buy it. Les Pauls are a nice place to start though lol/
Current Rig:
Gibson Firebird Studio
Limited Edition Schecter 35th Anniversary C-1
Schecter Jeff Loomis Signature 7 FR
Ashdown Fallen Angel
Custom 7 Firebird from Ignition Custom Guitars (check them out)
ESP Phoenix
well onemanarmy9, in thoery it is a farely simple ploy but i thowt of that and i thowt tht i would still have the same problem of him stealing it back when he decides to get of his backside and learn the guitar for himself (which believe me could take some time). As for the Les Paul, do you know of anywhere where i could get one fairly cheap?
If you don't mind buying second hand instruments, eBay is the way (wow I rhymed....sa-weet) Most of the time, eBay-ers just resell brand new guitars with minor finish blemishes (which are unoticable) for much cheaper than the store price.
No. Marshall MGs are like taking it up the butt from Michael Moore.

You can do much better.
i bought the Epiphone special II pack for 250. its awesome- i will always use it.
Epiphone LP special II
-Duncan Designed pu's
Schecter c-1 Elite
-Neck:PAF Pro
-Bridge: Steve's Special
Boss MT-2 Metal Zone
Ibanez Weeping Demon wah
Peavey studio pro 112 65 watt
Ampeg 50 watt
Quote by Danno13
No. Marshall MGs are like taking it up the butt from Michael Moore.

You can do much better.

What would you suggest for him then? They're alright for the price aren't they? I hear Kustoms are pretty good too.
Love is not a victory march.
They're absolutely NOT alright for the price. He should look into Vox AD15VTs, Roland MicroCubes, and Hughes&Kettner Edition Blues.
Quote by (insertnamehere
i think im leaning toward the LP

look at this pack then its awesome. it comes in solid black, the one i got.

http://www.music123.com/Epiphone-Special-II-Gig-Rig-Electric-Guitar-i69285.music
Epiphone LP special II
-Duncan Designed pu's
Schecter c-1 Elite
-Neck:PAF Pro
-Bridge: Steve's Special
Boss MT-2 Metal Zone
Ibanez Weeping Demon wah
Peavey studio pro 112 65 watt
Ampeg 50 watt
im not against buying a second hand guitar no.
havnt checked ebay yet. i was going to see what i could find in the shops first.
thanks for the links shaky.
And danno13, i am curious as to your reasearch.
Quote by (insertnamehere

And danno13, i am curious as to your reasearch.

Quote by Danno13
They're absolutely NOT alright for the price. He should look into Vox AD15VTs, Roland MicroCubes, and Hughes&Kettner Edition Blues.

Hughes and Kettner amps aren't that easy to come by in the U.K (which is where i believe the threadstarter resides) and Vox amps are relatively expensive, but Roland Cube amps would be a solid choice yeah.
Quote by (insertnamehere
yes shakysam you are correct in your assumption of me being uk-ish

Nice

Anyway mate most guitar shops will put a starter package together for you, including a strap, gigbag, tuner etc. and if I were to go back and by my first guitar and amp all over again, that's what I'd do.

Danno is right though and I forgot to mention Roland Cubes in my first post, I'd probably go for one of those; a friend of mine has one and he says it's great. Yamaha guitars are really good, and the Pacificas have a great feel to them compared to Squiers.
Quote by shakysam
Yamaha guitars are really good, and the Pacificas have a great feel to them compared to Squiers.

i must say i have looked at yamaha's but have never really considered getting one over an epi. no real reason apart from ive heard better feedback from epiphone owners than yamaha.