The more you push a tube amp the btter sound you get, unfortunately there isn't a master volume that controlls over all output on my amp )somehwere from a 81 to 91 CARVIN X100--B full stack...) So i have heard attenuaters (spelling?) are a good way to put out a good tone because you push your amps overdrive and your volume knob will be rather high up but the cabs will not be screaming loud and alllll the tone is present, is this true, or does an attenuator color you r amps tone, and if not where can i get one for and how much do they usually cost..and can you use on for two cabs?
Last edited by SGKIDD at May 28, 2006,
The THD Hotplate is supposed to be good but its expensive. Weber Attenuators are good. i dont have the link. The minimass is cheap.
But will they color my tone? i dont wanno lose any of that awesoem setups tone i have because that would be moraaly devastating to me...
you'd need a weber mass 100 watt for that size amp. they sell for $225 which is really cheap.

the thd hotplate is said to be about the same quality as the weber and it sells for $300...but you can get them off ebay practically new for around $225-250.
Quote by deg0ey
The best pickups for emo are no pickups at all...

Gear:

1996 Les Paul Classic w/ Alnico II's
Marshall Jubilee 2550
Vox V847 Wah
Assorted pedals
Quote by SGKIDD
But will they color my tone? i dont wanno lose any of that awesoem setups tone i have because that would be moraaly devastating to me...

slightly but not enough for you to notice i don't think. some attenuators are worse then others for this. i hear the weber and thd don't change the tone that much at all.

if anyone here has used the weber mass can you give me a review of it...i'm thinking of picking one up.
Quote by deg0ey
The best pickups for emo are no pickups at all...

Gear:

1996 Les Paul Classic w/ Alnico II's
Marshall Jubilee 2550
Vox V847 Wah
Assorted pedals
The THD hotplate is the best from my experiences. Great little thing!

It doesn't color your tone, but the loss of speaker movement does change it a bit.

That is why the hotplate has the treble and bass boosts. With the attenuator, you can drastically lose some of the high and low end.....the switch boosts replace them perfectly.

For this reason, the THD is more than worth the $300. And it works like a charm!
They do actually suck quite a bit of tone, but the THD's have Treble and Bass boosters.

But really the most important thing to remember is volume = tone. Speakers react differently at different volumes, high wattage speakers don't exactly sound their best with only 15w of power is pushing them.
Ibanez -> Peavey -> Eardrums

Apparently I'm on some list of people to listen to..?
My only worry would be can i use them for 2 cabs? i dont feel like buying two....if thats the case, plus i thought the point was awesome tone at low volumes?
Quote by Vomitorator
awesom-er

Awesom-er?!?!?

Didn't think it was awesomer just you got that tone at lower volumes....
Purists wouldn't use an attentuator because of the minute change in tone. They are good if you don't mind spending the money on one or the tone thing. Personally I never use them
But you can just detach them to perform, you know, for the whole.. not blowing your ears while practicing thing? You dont need your best tone at home, and if you have a job, you can afford tubes once every half a year or so...
See now i do have a switch on my amp that allows 100% 50% or 25% power but that only dulls the sound doesnt bring down volume.... and i end up blasting the guys in my band out the window with no problem...i turn up to two and i cant hear them.... even with a 300 watts bass head w/ Dual 15's and a drummer whos as loud as they come plus our vocalist going through a 500 watts per side daul 15 and horn cab on each side of the room , STILL i blow them away... i think my tone would improve if i could turn the volume down and still crank the tubes up...