i've recently purchased a Ibanez RG370DX and found a day later that the internation is actually been tuned to 1/4 step. regardless on how many times i've raised or lowerd the bridge or tune it locked or unlocked with the pegs and fine tuners it keeps going back to 1/4 step. i've been told these trems have problems but the trem is fine to me, sits right and level and doesn't knock strings out of tune. i reckon the saddles have been messed around or the springs have been tightend or slackend. either way i need from fellow ibanez users to talk me through on how to properly intonate this sucker!!
Quote by Holy Katana
God created man before creating woman, because you need a rough draft before you create a masterpiece.

Member #4 of the "Marty Friedman > You" Club. PM altronataku or apocalypse13 to join.
lol i hear ya buddy! my grg270b is like that too, perfectly inline and still 1/4 step, out, im gonna take it to a tech to see what the problem is, maybe they have to like that! but more than likely not
I'm the one that has to die when it's time for me to die, so let me live my life, the way I want to
- Jimi Hendrix

Im tired of following my dreams, im going to ask them where their going and hook up with them later
- Mitch Hedberg
alright you have two choices now you could take it to gc and get it fixed or reply back and get it fixed. btw the rg370dx does have a shoddy trem
BAh! i hear floyd rose trouble, no worries, just be patient and follow these simple steps.

Tuning Floyd Roses' intonation is really a bitch if you dont have any equipment. Its time consuming and really needs a lot of patient...A LOT. You can get a guitar tech guy to get it done but make sure he knows what he's doing.

This is the thing you should adjust on ur bridge. The little tiny screw below the strings.

This is a special intonation tool for Ibanez Edge tremolo system, sold at stewmac.com

These are the steps on how to properly adjust your intonation on floyd rose system.

Tuning
1) Loosen the locking nut
2) Set your fine tuners to middle position
3) Tune up your guitar to standard or whichever tunings u wish
4) If the floating bridge comes out, loosen the tunings and then tighten the springs in the tremolo cavity at the back, if the bridge sinks, then vice-versa

more info on tuning floyd roses - http://www.floydrose.com/originaltremolo.html
picture guide on how to perform the #4 step mentioned above - http://www.fretnotguitarrepair.com/floydrosetremolo.htm
http://www.jemsite.com/tech/1setup.htm#step1

Checking the intonation
1) Check the intonation on each strings and you might want to get a pencil for this. Jot down every sharps or flats on every strings
2) Pick a harmonic at the 12th fret of E and make sure its tuned to your tuning like open E = 12th fret harmonics. Or any downtunings make sure its the same
3) Now fret the 12th fret with normal finger pressure and check wheter its the same
4) If the notes of the open note vs. the natural harmonic are different you need to adjust the saddle position
5) Mark the strings that you wish to intonate

Setting the intonation
1) If you dont have the special tool, you need to loosen the string 1 by one and adjust its intonation step by step.
2) Here's the tricky part, your string needs to be properly loosed and you might want to hold it using ur fingers because if the tension is still there, the strings will pull the intonation saddle after you loosen it.
3) Loosen the saddle screw, see your notes that you just jotted, if the fretted note is SHARP, move the saddle AWAY from the neck and vice-versa.
4) You might have to move the saddle quite a bit to realize changes. You can get it really far back, past the bolt's head or washer in fact.
5) There are two bolt positions for adjustments so if there is not enough adjustment in the saddle move saddle further and use the next hole for the intonation lock down screw as you can see on pic below:

Ibanez ILT example Bridge
*there is another hole in front that you can put the saddle screw if the desired intonation isnt proper.
6) Tighten the intonation lock screw firmly taking care not to strip the screw
7) Retune the string and retest fret-12 fretted to the fret-12 natural harmonic
8) This is probably the most sickening step of all. This is a really really by trial and error, so if your desired pitch isnt working, you have to do it again and again and repeat the steps above until its properly intoned.

Really important notes, read this through
- Loosen the strings to make way for the allen/hex wrench to be properly inserted in the saddle screw. AVOID contact with the hex wrench and the strings. I did this once and the string just break....
- The notes at the 12th fret open note vs 12 fret natural harmonic should be in tune with themselves
- Do not touch this because thats the string lock.

If you loosen it the strings will pop out. Same as the Ibanez ILT example Bridge, do not touch the (E) part.

- BE PATIENT, you dont want to get any mental breakdowns
- When loosening the strings, make sure that your springs are loosed or if you hate to loosen it back and forth risking ruining the screw thread, hold its position using the trem bar. OR a better way to do it is to put a wooden block on the back of the tremolo to prevent it from moving for awhile. I personally use erasers coz of its flexible properties that wont ruin the finish or anything.

Hope this helps, its quite bitching and whatnot so you can save your time (but not ur money) by just sending it to professional tech to be properly setup.
"Play with your ears" - Yngwie Malmsteen, Paul Gilbert
Thats what she said...
UGmusic
Last edited by madpickin03 at May 29, 2006,
or you could just wait for madpickin to post up a mother****ing huge guide on how to adjust intonation
i just did, ur too late to say that...
"Play with your ears" - Yngwie Malmsteen, Paul Gilbert
Thats what she said...
UGmusic