I'm converting a section of my basement into a pretty decent recording studio, and I've got it all planned out:

That's obviously not a scale drawing, but it represents my layout.

Control Room: This is obviously where the computer and other recording equipment will go, and it's also where I sleep Since I don't want to install a window, I'm gonna buy a webcam and put it atop a shelf in the recording area, then use that to watch the performers (my bandmates). I don't think they need to see me (if they do I'll have to spend lots of money on another monitor). I'll also hook up a little PA system so I can talk to them from in the control room if I don't wanna get up. I already have most of the stuff I need for this room, except a webcam. I don't think I need much soundproofing here, except the one wall facing the recording room. Now this wall isn't a regular wall, it was put up to make another room, and it's probably not as thick as other walls. What would you recommend as a cheap way of soundproofing that?

Recording Room/Lounge: The place with the drumkit, guitars, and microphones... and couches, a TV, and a CD player for when nobody's recording. I'll have to spend some money to soundproof this area (including the drapes, but I'll get to that later), mainly the windows, there are two, and since it's a basement, they are small and high up. What would you recommend as a cheap way of soundproofing the windows? And If I need soundproofing on this side of the wall of the control room... I guess I'd just do the same thing as the other side. Nothing really makes noise in this area, except the instruments of course.

Heavy Drapes: As you can see in the diagram, theres a bunch of noisy equipment, such as our computer server, and a washing machine/dryer in one of the rooms. I don't want any of this sound on my recordings, obviously, so I thought of hanging some heavy, yet good-looking drapes around the recording area. This will probably be the most expensive area, yes? I don't wanna cheap out here, I can't have any computer or washer noises on my recordings. These drapes would preferrably be "retractable" so I could open up the whole room when not recording.

So, my questions are:

1 - Is this design even reasonable for an amature (but not too amature) recording studio?

2 - Is there a cheap way to sound-proof a wall?

3 - Cheap way of soundproofing my windows?

4 - Thick and heavy drapes? Good idea? Any recommendations on where to buy?

Thanks.
The key to stopping noise from moving to area to area is to have lots of layers of stuff between (like 2 solid things with a layer of air in betweem: doubled doors and such for example)
stick egg cartons to the walls, i here thats a good way of sound proofing. Course you will have to like eggs.
Quote by Virgil_Hart05
Beating the elderly is a big favourite of mine. Also, pushing kids over and kicking pregnant women in the womb is fun.

Right now we're called 'Various Artists' just to fuck over people with iPods
Too bad I hate eggs. Maybe I can go buy cartons in bulk.

As for the first reply, it would be really effective to hang the drapes, then another layer of drapes behind the first? I may be able to do that depending on the price of fabric.
Quote by kanguuu
stick egg cartons to the walls, i here thats a good way of sound proofing. Course you will have to like eggs.

no, i hear that's more of a myth. but seljer has the right idea. i think another possible way is to hang more heavy drapes, not directly against the wall, but with some air between the wall and curtain. dense, finely porous (as in...much much smaller than the dips in egg cartons ) material is generally good at absorbing sound, as you might notice in some of the acoustical treatment in some auditoriums. i'm not exactly sure what kind of thing you could improv it from, but moderately thick (half inch?) sheets of styrofoam might work. for the windows, elaborating on what seljer said, maybe get a sheet of plexiglass and seal it over the window and leaving some air in between...
Quote by Iluvpowerchords
I like:

Phobos (he oozes cool)

Misfits and AC/DC Covers + original recordings (jazz/punk, hardcore, "shredish").
http://advancederror.dmusic.com
Soundproofing also has to do with how well the windows and doors etc are fitted. If there are gaps anywhere, then no matter how much soundproofing material you've used the sound is going to escape. This is why people someimes use 2 doors [one about a metre or so away from the other]. Also, you can get doors with kinda like a brush on the bottom which also helps if your door doesn't sit flush.

Not having a window between the live room and control room is a bad idea IMO. I mean, it's not just you who needs to see the band; the band needs to see you too. If there's no way you're going to put in the window though, I suppose you could also set up a talkback mic from the live room if they need to speak to you.
By crook or fist I'll lather up your gracious smile.
And take my time...
I just sound proofed my garage with a very cheap solution
Moving Blankets there 14$ for a 70x79 inch blanket And you cant barely hear my 5150 when its on 3-4 through drywall. Its cheap and easy
carpet the walls. That helps. homerecording.com is a realy great site for this sort of thing...
Egg cartons DO work, but not the kind you buy with eggs.

They make them out of this heavy duty, recycled paper pulp/cardboard.

And you can buy them in bulk, although I'm not sure where.

My friend owns a renatble recording/rehearsal space, and we soundproofed it with egg cartons. Works fine.
you tell me who's better. i think good charlote are better than the bealtes but that's only because their lyrics mean more and they are better musicians.

Member #4 of The Mars Volta fanclub. PM happytimeharry to join.
Quote by mrFood
Egg cartons DO work, but not the kind you buy with eggs.

They make them out of this heavy duty, recycled paper pulp/cardboard.

And you can buy them in bulk, although I'm not sure where.

My friend owns a renatble recording/rehearsal space, and we soundproofed it with egg cartons. Works fine.

Yeah, there's also really thick foam ones you can get too. My college uses some. They're about £25 for one piece though, and they only measure about 50cm x 50cm
By crook or fist I'll lather up your gracious smile.
And take my time...