i think this sucks..but whatever

http://xthost.info/crapmaster/monster%20riff.wav

crit?

edit: should of said this before, but my tone i used to record this is what i set it up for when i play with my band. it sharply contrasts our other guitarists tone and sounds great. i should of layered it with another guitar with a tone similar to his and you would of gotten the full effect.

2nd edit: i'll put up another version of this, same riff faster...different tones...etc, and probably one layered with 2 guitars also.
Last edited by capt_dammit at May 28, 2006,
nice tone but lame riff, needs some harmonics and needs to be played alot faster
...:::The Master Chief :::...
Positive: Nice and steady rhythm. Something crucial to build up upon.

Negative: The riff was not very creative and the tone sucked badly. Too much treble and gain. Try boosting the mids a fair bit and cutting treble.
Quote by Noomz
nice tone but lame riff, needs some harmonics and needs to be played alot faster

i didn't warm up before i recorded that so its not up to the speed i want, i just played as good as i could just picking it up. i can't play for crap unless i'm warmed up and ready to go.

any ideas as to what direction to head in after that riff?
i'll probably repeat it once but after that i have a few conflicting ideas...
Quote by SabertoothSheep
Positive: Nice and steady rhythm. Something crucial to build up upon.

Negative: The riff was not very creative and the tone sucked badly. Too much treble and gain. Try boosting the mids a fair bit and cutting treble.

i have the mids boosted all the way and the highs at about 3/4. thanks for the advice, i'll roll the highs back a little next time.

edit: how could it be more creative? i want to build on it so any ideas would be great.
Creativity is an issue for me, too. I recommend checking other time signatures (check my hard rock waltz for instance, its in 3/4) and tunings. Also, breaks (one day NO guitar playing at all) may help. Listen to Vanessa Mae, she's been a great inspiration to me.
not bad, a bit generic, but it could work with full instrumentals, especially dual guitars.

Tone was already adressed. Needs tweaking.

Not much more to say, it's kinda hard to adress creativity with another artist.
I actually that was a pretty cool riff. but it sounds like it should be played faster and maybe a different distortion sound would be nice... it sounds to crunchy.. maybe dial in something heavier or cut the mids put the bass at half and highs at 7 or so..
Last edited by legions at May 28, 2006,