Hello everyone. Well, I've had the same strat copy for about five years now, the total length of time I've been playing. It seems my musical tastes have changed, as well as my level of playing...and I finally get to pick out another guitar!
But I'm on like a $500-$600 budget.
I figure I might be able to get something decent?
Anyways, I like to play hard rock/metal, as well as some classic rock here and there for the fun of it...
The question is, what guitar should I get?
I've kind of had my eye on an ESP, more specifically an ESP KH202 because it's withing the budget and it seems to have something good about it...
Also a Schecter of some sorts, most likely the Tempest Custom I saw at my music store <3.
Well, I know these might not be the best choices- 5 years and I still don't know good from bad!
Well, almost..lol
So, fellow UG'ers, I'm asking for your help and advice/reviews on what guitars I can add as possible options as my new guitar!
So, really just asking:
What is a good hard rock/metal guitar for a decent player with a budget of $500-$600?
Thanks much, everyone!

FinestImagery
Yeah. Epiphone Les Paul Custom would be excellent, and in your budget. Stay the hell away from the Kirk 202. It has some really sucky passive EMG pick-ups. If you get EMG, you get active. No two ways about it.
Oh alright.
Somehow I assumed the Les Pauls were quite expensive.
Off to look at those!
Thanks guys, I really appreciate it!

FinestImagery
buy a used guitar from guitar center
MY GEAR :
2000 Jackson SL-3 Soloist
Roland Cube 60
Boss Metal Zone
Dunlop 535q Wah
Shitty DS-1 (AKA Teh Pap3rWeIgHt)

Quote by Nole07
i have like 30 bucks to spend. and i wanna know from first hand experience does it make pp's huge? thanks
yes^^ a used PRS or, like you said, an ESP. i have an ltd and id choose it before a les paul or an sg.
my shiz:
dean razorback explosion
agile septor 7 string
all monster/mogami cables

peavey JSX
peavey triple xxx cab

howabout some precision metal, ladies and gentlemen?
www.myspace.com/flawlessamongthefallen
well if i might take a different position, sounds like you might what a whammybar (b/c u play hard rock and metal.) everyone should have at least one guitar with one i think! Go for an ibanez rg series. That what i got i couldnt be happier. Its an EXELLECENT guitar for the price, and has extreme quality and tone. see sig mines a GC special so its extra cheap and customized kinda for them and i customized it further. Also, try many necks because the neck is usually what makes u happy. I have a thinner, flatter neck, as opposed to gibsons or epi's that have larger more rounded ones.
for $600 you could get a couple jems offa ebay, i'm sure you'll love them
"but i don't want to go among mad people," Alice remarked.
"oh, you can't help that," said the Cat. "we're all mad here."
~lewis carroll
Get a vintage guitar, like a Univox Hi-Flier! Yeah, That'd be sweet!

EDIT: I don't really know how they play because I don't own one, but I've played one in a store and it had a really great neck and scale. I didn't plug it in, so I have no idea how the pups sound, though.
WHY IS EVERYONE IN THE PIT A FUCKING METALCORE KID
Last edited by Kartman at May 29, 2006,
^How do those things play? I've been wanting to get one for awhile
Wade in the water, child.
Hmm...
So consider...
Ibanez
Les Paul Custom (seems to be a popular recommendation)
PRS
Or Univox?
hmmm...
I have some odd psychological attachment to ESPs xDD...
But yesh...
Thanks everyone for the suggestions...could anyone please give me specifics, like pros and cons of each? Sorry if that's too much to ask, but I'd really like it. ^^
I always mess up when choosing things like this, lol.
Thanks again,
FinestImagery
^^ Not too much to ask at all

The les paul: Great tone, probably the most versatile guitar out there, if you play mid-high gain music. However, due to a combination of neck joint and only being single cutaway, the accessability to the higher frets are somewhat hampered, although you get used to it after a while. Great for all genres, good for blues.

SG: The tone is a little less desirable IMO, but the access is again better to the higher frets because of the double cutaway. Great for classic hard rock.

But remember that all opinions on tone is subjective, and something you have to find out for yourself.

Also, you should of course try out the guitars for yourself and find which one YOU like better, and then maybe come in here and ask again if you're still unsure

I dunno about the ESPs or ibanezes, but im sure somebody wil tell you
Last edited by guitarforever<3 at May 28, 2006,
i have an ibanez gax50, ibanez rg2ex1 and a k7. the only thing is that you might want to change the pickups on it. i have dimarzio x2n's in the rg and paf7's in the k7. other than that they are durable and last forever.
mmm I dont how prices vary over there but you culd try...

An Epiphine Gold Top [les paul] plays very very nicely got one a few weeks back

Epiphone Sg I dont realli like the neck but they sound pretty good some are a bit top heavy

Used Prs everyone ive tried has sounded pretty dam good but tht might be personal preferance

The easist thing is to look around some shops try the guitars and see which one really suitsYou
Epi 57 lespaul Goldtop
60's Vintage Kay
Jim Dunlop Wah
Crate VTX200S
Quote by guitarforever<3
^^ Not too much to ask at all

The les paul: Great tone, probably the most versatile guitar out there, if you play mid-high gain music. However, due to a combination of neck joint and only being single cutaway, the accessability to the higher frets are somewhat hampered, although you get used to it after a while. Great for all genres, good for blues.

SG: The tone is a little less desirable IMO, but the access is again better to the higher frets because of the double cutaway. Great for classic hard rock.

But remember that all opinions on tone is subjective, and something you have to find out for yourself.

Also, you should of course try out the guitars for yourself and find which one YOU like better, and then maybe come in here and ask again if you're still unsure

I dunno about the ESPs or ibanezes, but im sure somebody wil tell you

Thanks!
Well it would seem sensible to try out the guitars for myself, but unfortunately I live in the middle of no where and the music store (majority of the store focuses on guitars, though) doesn't really have much selection. In brands, anyways. Their brand in stock right now is Schecter, which is where that came up from- I tried the Tempest Custom, and it was alright but the problem is I don't have anything to compare it to...They do have a Jackson there but I think it's just a biiiiit out of my price range ( i heard they were decent for hard rock/metal)...Maybe I should check around for more shops, lol.
Thanks yet again.

FinestImagery
Last edited by FinestImagery at May 28, 2006,