i hope to get a marshall tube amp which costs about 650pounds.

however i could also get a USA strat for that and play it on my MG30.

the question is would a mex strat with a marshall tube sound better than a USA with the MG?

edit: btw i know that the amp will be an essential eventually but im just askin about this hypothetical question and which sounds better.
Amp first. guita rlater. Amp is 70% of tone. A good guitar through a crap amp= crap tone
I traded in my Real Books for Robbins and Cotran Pathology Textbooks
Definatley the amp. Chances are the USA Strat will sound identical to the Standard one through your MG.
Like mentioned, the amp is like 75% of your tone.

If the guitar is playable well enough then upgrade the amp first if tone is what you want.
Yeah, amp first. Most guitars sound good through a decent amp, but even good guitars sound **** through **** amps.
Yea definately amp before guitar. Out of interest, what Marshall tube amp are you thinking of getting?

Also, why are you wanting to upgrade from a Mex strat to a USA strat? They are pretty much identical...
~ My Gear ~

Gibson Les Paul Studio in Alpine White with EMG 81/60
Fender Stratocaster
Marshall DSL401
Boss Metal Zone MT-2
Boss Super Overdrive SD-1
Boss Noise Suppressor NS-2
Digitech RP80
Samson Wireless
Fender Champions Series 30
yeh i thought so.

also in terms of the amp i get. im thinking about the marshall JCM2000 tsl601 limited edition (which is blue and has a metal grill) and would that be good to replicate hendrix/srv blues and rock tones and also more modern styles like frusciante yet also heavier rock tones. So basically (lol) are they good allround amps.
The jcm2000 are more modern voiced amps. You might wanna take a look at the Jcm800/900.
I traded in my Real Books for Robbins and Cotran Pathology Textbooks
don't spend that much on a tube amp...get on ebay and buy a marshall all tube amp used for half the price.

plenty of dsl, tsl, jcm900s, and jcm800s on ebay going for 700-900 bucks. use the extra cash on some pedals or towards a new guitar.
Quote by deg0ey
The best pickups for emo are no pickups at all...

Gear:

1996 Les Paul Classic w/ Alnico II's
Marshall Jubilee 2550
Vox V847 Wah
Assorted pedals
Well Im gonna agree that amps are the most important factor to tone but at the same time I know I play better on my American Strat then another guitar. So even though tone wise I may sound better through a nice tube amp, Im more comfortable with my Strat. But yeah Ill take a MIM Strat and that Marshall over an MG and an American.

Don't want to be an actor pretending on the stage
Don't want to be a writer with my thoughts out on the page
Don't want to be a painter 'cause everyone comes to look
Don't want to be anything where my life's an open book

Phish - Waste
The amp makes about 80% of your tone, but the 20% (including picks, strings etc.) is what makes your sound personal and unique. I'd get a good guitar first and have that guitar for the rest of your life and get a new amp later. It's no hurry.

Don't get the AMR strat. They really suck balls in my opinion. They have a paperlike sound and the overdrive is really worthless. I'd go for a Clapton strat or something with Lace Sensors. They kick huge @ss. Try it.
Ah ok. If I were you... I'd save up a bit more and get a DSL50 with a nice Marshall cab or just get the DSL401 combo.
~ My Gear ~

Gibson Les Paul Studio in Alpine White with EMG 81/60
Fender Stratocaster
Marshall DSL401
Boss Metal Zone MT-2
Boss Super Overdrive SD-1
Boss Noise Suppressor NS-2
Digitech RP80
Samson Wireless
Fender Champions Series 30
Buy an amp before since a MIM Strat is decent. But I think that the DSL n TSL suck balls, played few of them and wasn't impressed by the tone, get a old one, like the Plexi or JCM 800 if you want a Marshall. You think about how much to spend on the amp ?
Quote by bonchie1
don't spend that much on a tube amp...get on ebay and buy a marshall all tube amp used for half the price.

plenty of dsl, tsl, jcm900s, and jcm800s on ebay going for 700-900 bucks. use the extra cash on some pedals or towards a new guitar.

my dad would refuse to let me buy an amp on ebay. his mate owns the store and basically says to me if anythings wrong at all i'll fix it for free as i have a lifetime guarantee and also he gives a discount so my dad feels safer doing that.

Quote by Frostithe
Ah ok. If I were you... I'd save up a bit more and get a DSL50 with a nice Marshall cab or just get the DSL401 combo.

hmm yeh perhaps its just im thinking that if i get the 60watt 601 then it will almost certainly last me forever right whereas with the 401 i might be tempted to upgrade further?
for better tone def an amp. Its more than 80% of your tone. The American Strat is not the same as a MIM strat. The pickups are better, the electronics, the feel and playability too. Theyre pretty good. The Clapton strat is pretty much an american strat with vintage noisless pickups. i dont know how much it is but its too much (you're paying for the Clapton name). if you want that sound than an american strat with vintage noisless is about $1100
hmm yeh perhaps its just im thinking that if i get the 60watt 601 then it will almost certainly last me forever right whereas with the 401 i might be tempted to upgrade further?

50 watts of tube will make your ears fall off...you'll never need to upgrade further.
Quote by deg0ey
The best pickups for emo are no pickups at all...

Gear:

1996 Les Paul Classic w/ Alnico II's
Marshall Jubilee 2550
Vox V847 Wah
Assorted pedals
Unless your gigging, personally, Id go for the guitar. And this isnt just advice....I actually did this. I dont need great sound, but I wanted playability, so I bought a USA Tele a few months ago, and play it through my cheap starter amp. Now Im looking to upgrade the amp as Im looking to start a band.
Who needs tone when its only YOU thats listening
You won't be around forever girl, you gotta grab life with both hands.

Gear:
USA Fender Telecaster
Tweed Fender Blues Junior
Boss DD-3
Boss RC-2
Boss BD-2
Boss GE-7
Dunlop 535Q Crybaby Wah
Handmade AB box
MXR Micro Amp Clone
check my quote
"i disagree, I play on my own and if I had to play through my avt for another minute I'd probably poke a fork into the input, with the hope of both electrocuting myself and destroying the amp in one fell swoop."
-Dave_mc

Best video ever
a new guitar may make you play betta.

a new amp may make you sound betta.

its vice versa to a small degree too.
Quote by JET116
^ Why get crap tone when you can get good tone?

Hes going to buy guitar, or amp now. Its more than likely he'll be the only one hearing his playing. Why not treat himself and buy a guitar for improved playability and feel at a stage when tone is not necessary.

I think you guys just on the bandwagon too easily...

Gear:
USA Fender Telecaster
Boss DD-3
Boss RC-2
Boss BD-2
Boss GE-7
Dunlop 535Q Crybaby Wah
Handmade AB box
MXR Micro Amp Clone
I think what suprised me most was that he wanted to get an american strat and he already has a mexican one, i mean wouldn't you want to get a gibson style guitar so you have the best of both worlds? or at least invest in getting a different kind of fender?
Well if hes sure that Strats are the way to go, Id say just go for it. I was never in the market for a Fender USA Strat, but when I played a Mex Tele vs USA Tele, I felt, heard and saw a huge difference. Not to bash Mexican Fenders...they are good for the money, but personally, you cant beat a nice USA.

Gear:
USA Fender Telecaster
Boss DD-3
Boss RC-2
Boss BD-2
Boss GE-7
Dunlop 535Q Crybaby Wah
Handmade AB box
MXR Micro Amp Clone
true true but me personally, say if i bought an ESP LTD EC-400 I probably wouldn't upgrade to the ESP EC standard, because quite frankly, a bit of a change is good - look around broaden your horizons etc, but if a usa fender strat is what he feels he needs then it probably is, i just wasn sure whether he was just upgrading for the hell of it.
Quote by Matt_M_2002
Hes going to buy guitar, or amp now. Its more than likely he'll be the only one hearing his playing. Why not treat himself and buy a guitar for improved playability and feel at a stage when tone is not necessary.

I think you guys just on the bandwagon too easily...

meh, that's preference really. I would rather have a Daisy Rock thru a real Marshall tube amp than play any guitar thru an MG again. I've owned the MG, so I'm no bandwagon jumper. Good tone inspires me to play more. Even if a guitar plays great, if it sounds crappy, it's going to frustrate me, I judge my progress on how it's sounding. I also don't think it's a night and day difference between the Mex and American strats, not like the difference between an MG and a real tube amp. I mean yes, they are meant to be better quality, but I've played some very good Mex strats, and I own an American.
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids
Amp > Guitar.

The Mexican Strat should play just the same as the American Strat.
I have a Squier that plays (plays, not sounds) better than any guitar ive ever used.
If he would have the Mexican Strat set up, frets filed, truss rod adjusted, all that stuff it would play better than a stock American Strat. No reason to upgrade there.

The MG on the other hand.....Well, ill just not go into it with that.
I totally agree with what was said a few posts ago,far to many people on this forum bandwagon it's unreal!But ya a new tube amp is what i'd get....but why don't you bring your guitar into your dads friends shop and try it out,see if you like it! Also i own a marshall tsl100(jcm2000)and it is 100% sex...don't mind people going on about how modern marshall don't sound that good their idiots...this amp owns!
Quote by bonchie1

i saved 700 bucks on my tsl 602 brand new. this is good advice.. take it.
Schecter C-1 Classic
Marshall JCM 2000 TSL 602
Line 6 DL-4
Line 6 FM-4
Boss MT-2
MXR Phase 90
Dunlop Cry Baby Wah Limited
Electro Harmonix Small Stone