Alright i have a GAX30 ibanez guitar (electric) and i was wondering if the strings are too far away from the board. What are your measurements? i was told by 3 shreders in my class that it was two far and since i wanna shred should i move it closer?

here lemme measure......its.....5mm when i measure on the 12th fret on the fat e string and....4mm at the 12th fret of the skinny e string.

if i should have to make it closer, how should i go to doing this? should i get a shop to do it or is it easy enough on my own ?

thx for your help, shredder wanna be
President of "Blink 182 Fan club" club
PM Me to join

Set-up
My very own baby with LED's
GX212 Ultratwin by Behringer
MT-2 boss metal zone pedal
millimeters...how do you yet 2 inches? 10 MM= 1 CM

EDIT: Nevermind. He deleted his post

My Action is alot lower, if you can fit a credit card or something like that, it might be too high, ask Jenny though
My Gear-

Guitars
- Schecter Gryphon
- Ibanez GRX40

Amp/Effects

- Crate FXT65 With DSP
- Dunlop Cry Baby Classic

My Choice
- DR 9's
- Dunlop 2mm
Quote by Telmob
Alright i have a GAX30 ibanez guitar (electric) and i was wondering if the strings are too far away from the board. What are your measurements? i was told by 3 shreders in my class that it was two far and since i wanna shred should i move it closer?

here lemme measure......its.....5mm when i measure on the 12th fret on the fat e string and....4mm at the 12th fret of the skinny e string.

if i should have to make it closer, how should i go to doing this? should i get a shop to do it or is it easy enough on my own ?

thx for your help, shredder wanna be

You can adjust your action...I suck at explaining stuff, so I won't, but there are some articles here on UG that tell you how to do it.

You could also get a professional setup.

Low action is generally easier to play on but it can cause fret buzz.

VINDICEDIT:

Quote by ibanez_rocker
millimeters...how do you yet 2 inches? 10 MM= 1 CM

I misread it...I thought it said 5cm

I deleted that instantly because I realized how stupid that was...haha.

VINDICEDIT again:

Did you put your ruler on the fret or on the fretboard?
Last edited by Vindication at May 28, 2006,
you have all officially confuzzled me
PM Me to join

Set-up
Quote by Telmob
you have all officially confuzzled me

I messed up bigtime on my first post, so I deleted it, sorry about that.

Did you measure by putting the ruler on the fretboard or on the fret itself?

To change it, you could take it to a professional, or do it yourself...I suck at explaining stuff, like I said already, but there are articles here that can help you.
yah i just took a look and i sounds simple enough, i just need a small allen key and im good to go.

just saying, if i do it with the strings on does it make a difference? and also i was thinking of twisitng each screw 180degrees to start
PM Me to join

Set-up
Quote by Telmob
yah i just took a look and i sounds simple enough, i just need a small allen key and im good to go.

just saying, if i do it with the strings on does it make a difference? and also i was thinking of twisitng each screw 180degrees to start

You're supposed to do it with the strings on.

Don't take off all the strings on your guitar at the same time...it could warp your neck.

Whenever adjusting anything on guitars, do it in small increments and test every time.
alright ill go do it now, to tighten do i go clockwise or counter?
ill go down to 4mm
PM Me to join

Set-up
u lower the strings until u start getting fret buzz, then u back it up a bit until there's no buzz thru ur amp.
thats the lowest for ur guitar.

of course all guitars are different. (some can get much lower)

if u have a problem getting the action low enough, REpost.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
^what does that mean?
he's got adjustable saddles anyway.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

How do you know how much you can turn that truss rod without doing something awful to your guitar?

Last night I took all the strings off before restringing, could I have damaged it?
Telmob, I personally lowered the action on my GAX70 and I even adjusted the intonation accordingly, but I still ended up with some nasty fret buzz. My advice to you is to take it to a shop. Tell them you want a setup with the lowest action you can achieve without fret buzz.
A little buzz is ok, I guess.. my RG buzzes on the low E string sometimes, but I can never hear it through distortion.
Originally posted by Geetarbumb
I think your screwed ! You should quit guitar and take up the skin flute!
amazing, u shouldnt ur truss rod, unless u start a post and find out how and why u should.
and taking off all the strings doesnt damage anything but now u might need some adjustments.

lowtek, if ur getting buzz then repost. or start a thread. some guitars just cant get low action because of a high fret(s), or bad neck angle.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

Personally, id take it to your nearest guitar tech or music store or whatever, and ask for the action lowered
seriously, im not sure why everyone is so caught up on measurements.

if u want to know if u can lower it, just try. go a little lower and if u get buzz, then back it up a bit until the buzz stops.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

For standard Ibanez factory setup, which uses 9-42s, the low E (or fat E as you like to call it) string is 2.0mm above the 12th fretwire while the high e string is 1.5mm above the 12th fretwire. Typically, this isnt low enough so you should be able to lower it to about .1mm or .05 mm more and not getting noticable buzz. And 5mm is pretty high.

Its down to preference, i dont trust on measurement too much, but if that's what you asking....then....i've said it...
"Play with your ears" - Yngwie Malmsteen, Paul Gilbert
Thats what she said...
UGmusic
I use .015-.070, and I set my action to rediculously high, using the saddles and my bridge.

And for the record, my action is 1.5cm off the 12th fret, raaa.
Psh.
Low Action?
Screw that,
I play slide,
and higher action = good.

Play some slide improv over a normal 12 bar blues progression
and blow the shredders outta the water!
[Founder of the Ibanez S players club.] Pm Me to Join
uhhhhhh...i hate asking, but is it possible to adjust action on a squier without taking the strings off to reach the truss rod??
yah.
If its a typical hard-tail.
You tighten the screws here:
[Founder of the Ibanez S players club.] Pm Me to Join
Quote by dookie_dude_
your sig is lame... there is more than one ****ing blink 182 clubs noob!

this is why u brought back a 3 month old thread?

and to the guy above, its tighten to raise the action and loosen to lower.
ur right, just being specific.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62