I'm planning on getting a Peavey Valve King 112 (only tube amp I could hope to afford in the near future, but I'm intent on changing out the tubes for some JJ's) and I want an OD pedal to boost the gain. I read in another thread that the main choices for my budget are an Ibanez tubescreamer or a Boss SD-1, but the decision would depend on the tone I want.

My question: What is the difference in tone between a tubescreamer and an SD-1 (or any other inexpensive OD pedals you could recommend)?
No animals were harmed in order to bring you the above post. However, several photons were greatly inconvenienced.

ALL GLORY TO THE HYPNO-TOAD
All those OD pedals are basically the same circuit, there's no major difference between them. Just try them out.
I'm not very active here on UG currently.
I'm a retired Supermod off to the greener pastures of the real world.
^ they do sound a lot different, though.

The SD1 is kinda trebly, more for screaming lead, a la zakk wylde, the TS is a more smooth tone.

I have no idea about other OD's though, I'm not too well up on pedals.

I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
For a warm, smooth overdrive, go Tubescreamer.
Or, for a really nice, warm and natural tone you could look for a Boss OD-3, doesn't sound amazing by itself, but when boosting my Blues Driver (other OD pedal) it sounds orgasmic, is adds gain and volume, and sounds exactly how I want.
"Breathe, breathe in the air
Don't be afraid to care"

Fender Strat/Tokai LS80>few pedals>Orange Rocker 30