Ok.. mesa are the best in guitar amps, how do they go for bass amps?

Just i am thinking about saving for one.

First of all i'll just by the 4 x 10 cab to run my ampeg b2r. Is the mesa cab worth the 2000 au that i'll pay for it.

And the head... it is the block 750, any good? They look cool, and they are mesa so one could be led to think that its going to be alright. One draw back is they dont have the eq... but i have never been great at gaining tones using the b2r's.

Anyway, they have told me i could get the head and a 4 x 10 cab for $5000au. If i could get 1500 au for my b2r and no name 4 x 10 cab (has 4 eminence speakers in it but its to small for the head) it'd only be a matter of saving 3500 which could be done rather quickly, especially with around 1000 comming back from tax.

So, are a brilliant bass amp. I'd expect them to be, as i could also stick with ampeg and get a pretty could setup for around those dollars. Hollar back.

Cheers.

p.s And do you think my warwick streamer would sound any good out of them??
Quote by Bumper
As a bass amp company, Mesa makes really good guitar amps.

There is what is commonly known as a deliberate design flaw in Messa valve rectifier amps, causing them to burn out valves/tubes that is why you have to carry spares.
G&L L2500
Squier Affinity Jazz Bass 5
Ashdown RPM pre-amp
Ashdown Little Giant 1000
300 watt 15" powered cab
450 watt 15" powered sub bass cab
2x10 + horn
1x15x10 + horn
Mesa are now way the best bass amps.

Depending what you want these are pretty much the best;

If you want all-valve Ampeg are the standard. If marshall is cheaper where you live the VBA400 is pretty much a rip off Ampeg svt-pro circuitry.

For hybrid ; Hartke and Ashdown and some of the most popular

And then for solid state ; Trace Elliot and a few others.

But this is all very opinion based. Mesa do not make the best guitar amps either. No body does. If someone produced an amp that could give ultimate tone in any musical setting then that would be the best amp, but this is impossible to do.

I think you should sell your current Ampeg head which i believe is a hybrid model? And use the money and your tax return to buy a top of line Ampeg and run it through your 4x10 till you can get a new cab.
Yeah.. appreciate the comments. I thought it may be kinda like marshall (in the sense that there not really a bass amp company) etc. I am thinking about a svt pro 3 or something along those lines. Ampeg is definately the brand for i i think, although trace arent bad. Cheers guys.
mesa =/= the best guitar amps. the mark IV is nice. recto's are alright. i don't like 'um much. good amps though, but by no means the best.
Quote by ClassicAxe

consider anything derek suggests, He IS a gain VVhore you know
Quote by jj1565
derek, will you go out wt me?

President Gain Whore -group on profile
Considering you have a high budget, i'd also reccomend checking out high end SWR or Ashdown stuff. Ampeg, to me, gives a very generic and boring sound where as SWR's produce some of my favourite bass sounds ever.
Gear

Fender Geddy Lee Jazz
Fender MIA Precision
Musicman Bongo
Boss TU-2
EBS TD650
EBS ProLine 2x10 x 2
Quote by OneLastShot
Mesa are now way the best bass amps.
For hybrid ; Hartke and Ashdown and some of the most popular

Ashdown are top end but as with all other so-called hybrids it is just a gimmick sticking just one ECC83/12AX7A valve/tube on the pre-amp stage I've been using Ashdown and in the past Trace Elliot Valvestate for nigh on ten years trust me they are a gimmick!.
G&L L2500
Ashdown RPM pre-amp
300 watt 15" powered cab
2x10 + horn
1x15x10 + horn
Quote by Forcemaster
Considering you have a high budget, i'd also reccomend checking out high end SWR or Ashdown stuff. Ampeg, to me, gives a very generic and boring sound where as SWR's produce some of my favourite bass sounds ever.

Must agree on the Ampeg sound, in the 70s they were much better sounding. In the meantime I've just done some checking up and to confirm about Ampegs they did in fact move to another 6L6 type of output valve in the 70s hence the change to the mid grunge sound that they tend to produce these days.
G&L L2500
Ashdown RPM pre-amp
300 watt 15" powered cab
2x10 + horn
1x15x10 + horn
Last edited by John Swift at May 29, 2006,