Page 1 of 2
Alright i went to guitar center to try out the G-400..... i was playing in for about 15 mins and it got old really really fast the tone was boring to me (btw this is all IMO) so i hung it back up next to the Epi LP Standard so i picked that up and plugged it in..........i began to play the GN'R super hit "Sweet Child O' Mine" and it played so beautiful!!! I know alot of you are going to be like NO WAY EPI'S SUCK!!! but its not true this guitar arrived a couple days ago at the GC and it is from Epi's new factory in China these new arrivals are the cream of the crop according to the GC floor manager i compared the one i got to a Gibson LP Standard and there is hardly any difference..........im am so impressed!!! after playing riffs from all ranges of music i decided that this guitar was for me so i purchased it for $380 US it is truely a underated guitar........ i was considering buying an Agile but i decided not to becuase i would rather try before i buy............ anyways this guitar is AMAZING!!! i highley recommend it if you are in the same price range that i was!!!
Yes, Epi LP Standards are excellent guitars. They have such comfortable necks.

Did you get the new Standard Plain top, or the regular standard?
My Gear:

Washburn WI14 Electric
Washburn D10s Acoustic
Marshall MG100HDFXR Special Edition
Marshall MG412AR Special Edition

Quote by Danno13
^Xenn is my favorite MG owner EVAR.

Quote by jj1565
^ Xenn fav MG user evar
Still a great guitar. The one's I've tried have all been great.
My Gear:

Washburn WI14 Electric
Washburn D10s Acoustic

Quote by Danno13

Quote by jj1565
^ Xenn fav MG user evar
I got an Epi Les Paul Studio.. and I'm very displeased with the quality of it. Never stays in tune, bridge is effed up, bad fretwork which results in sharp notes across the fretboard.

I guess I got a dud. Nice tone though.

I should have waited until the price came down and got a Standard Plain-Top.
I own a G-310 and it is absolutely amazing. Good thing I didn't buy the G-400. I own a Gibson Les Paul and I know how good that sounds, so based on your review the Epi LP must be just as great!
My Gear:

2006 Fender American Strat
'58 Reissue Korina Gibson Flying V
1963 Harmony H53 Rocket
Squier Tele Custom II

Fender Champion 600
You are most definitely tone deaf. Epi standards have alder bottoms with mahogany wings. Absolute crap tone. Just better than ply wood. The pickups are sub par. Nothing compared to those on a lp standard. Standards have crappy tuners and even worse electronics.

edit: I have nothing against epiphones. Just les paul standards/customs/g400/g310/lp 250/ juniors. I have a classic plus. It came with grover tuners and no damn alder in it. With new electronics and a pickup change it was quite good. No bad fretwork either.
They didn't get angry at you for playing Sweet Child??
Quote by Roc8995
Thin necks make you play faster because guitars with thin necks sound thin and bad, and you play fast to distract people from the bad tone.
Quote by Shredding Sam
I own a G-310 and it is absolutely amazing. Good thing I didn't buy the G-400. I own a Gibson Les Paul and I know how good that sounds, so based on your review the Epi LP must be just as great!

WTF!?!?! a G-310 is the cheapest Epi SG, its mad of alder and has a bolt-on mahogany neck with very cheap hardware and electronics, they dont sound anyhing like Gibson SG's and how could you compare a G-310 to a Gibson LP Standard? and the G-400 has a mahogany body and set mahogany neck with probably a little better tuners, the one the threadstarter played was probably a dud or something
The Epi Les Paul i got is a new issue Epi has made them better quality....... the tone on this LP is amazing.......so dont tell me it isnt......and no they didnt get on to me because i was making a purchase lmfao
Quote by Bulletbass man
You are most definitely tone deaf. Epi standards have alder bottoms with mahogany wings. Absolute crap tone. Just better than ply wood. The pickups are sub par. Nothing compared to those on a lp standard. Standards have crappy tuners and even worse electronics.

edit: I have nothing against epiphones. Just les paul standards/customs/g400/g310/lp 250/ juniors. I have a classic plus. It came with grover tuners and no damn alder in it. With new electronics and a pickup change it was quite good. No bad fretwork either.

They aren't absolute crap tone. Calling them a step above plywood is just idiotic. They have nice tone, but they don't sound exactly like a true Les Paul. Stock pickups in most guitars under $1000 are garbage anyway, so that doesn't make a huge difference. They're decent enough.

Standards also come with Grovers stock. At least, now they do. As for electronics, I haven't heard anything horrible about it. I also haven't heard anything about it being great, so I'll just assume that it's average level wiring.
My Gear:

Washburn WI14 Electric
Washburn D10s Acoustic

Quote by Danno13

Quote by jj1565
^ Xenn fav MG user evar
Epi is ok for the $ but if you go to $600 try an LTD EC400AT, real LP wieght and thickness with Duncan JB/59 so by the time you spend for Epi pups you could have had a solid mahogany LP
and no offense but if the new Epi Pauls are from some new CHinese factory or whatever stay far away, get an Agile instead.
^Like the Epi LP plain top for $400?

Solid mahogany body with carved plain maple cap. I've heard from a few people that it's one of the best non-elitist Epi's.

Even with new pups it will still be less than $600. And it will be a real Les Paul.

Edit; Also Epi's above the Special II are made in Korea. That means that from the LP-100 up they're Korean made. The Epi Elitists are made in Japan.
My Gear:

Washburn WI14 Electric
Washburn D10s Acoustic

Quote by Danno13

Quote by jj1565
^ Xenn fav MG user evar
this is from a new guitar factory in China there better qualitythan the Epi guitars from before.............
Quote by Ignite
I got an Epi Les Paul Studio.. and I'm very displeased with the quality of it. Never stays in tune, bridge is effed up, bad fretwork which results in sharp notes across the fretboard.

i guess you did... i have one and its like heaven in a guitar...
Quote by Teleprompters
WTF!?!?! a G-310 is the cheapest Epi SG, its mad of alder and has a bolt-on mahogany neck with very cheap hardware and electronics, they dont sound anyhing like Gibson SG's and how could you compare a G-310 to a Gibson LP Standard? and the G-400 has a mahogany body and set mahogany neck with probably a little better tuners, the one the threadstarter played was probably a dud or something

hey dude.... i just saw in your sig it said rip algeeeater... why was he banned?
Quote by creamsoda90
this is from a new guitar factory in China there better qualitythan the Epi guitars from before.............
ok but this is an insrument not tupper ware on the shelf in WalMart, every chinese guitar Ive tried was a bad joke.
Quote by CustomCustom
ok but this is an insrument not tupper ware on the shelf in WalMart, every chinese guitar Ive tried was a bad joke.

Uh, Dood, I have a Ibanez Artcore AS that was made in China and it is not a bad joke, actualy it is such a nice guitar that I keep it in the case most of the time and play my other axes because I know eventually people will realize them for the quality and I will be making my money back.
I've never played any "great" guitars but plenty of cheap crappy ones, some of which I have owned. I recently got an Epi LP Standard from the new factory in China and omfg this thing is awesome. I had a mate who is a very competent and experienced player try it and he is now looking for one of his own (no he doesn't think it's the greatest but definately worth every cent I paid for it, and some). I do still want other pickups but the action is great and Grover tuners standard. The factory in China is owned, designed and managed by Gibson. They're just saving on labour costs and probably materials too.

EDIT: As for Chinese quality control, I work for an Aussie car manufacturer and we used to export to China, til they knocked our cars back for being of too lower quality so go figure. Things are changing in China now they deal a lot more with us westerners.
Last edited by treagar at May 29, 2006,
My god, there is so much hate in this forum.

I've played an epiphone recently (chinese) and I loved it. Nothing wrong with it, in fact, tried to hate it (as with most guitars), but nothing to hate. Something wrong? No, the next guitar was the same, and the same. Oh and Ignite, you have some serious issues with your gear.

A $380 dollar guitar is a ****ing $380 guitar. Not a $2000 custom made. If you don't like the guitar, too bad, move onto the next one, not whine about it and complain how it didn't compare to your dad's 1976 LP Custom. One man's trash is another one's treasure.

So threadstarter, if you like it, good one ya! I like it as well!
Last edited by singlecoiled at May 29, 2006,
thanks for the review! it was a great help for me since i've been willing to buy me an epi les paul as a second guitar. i definitely think they can match some gibsons and the price is just awesome! can you share some pics maybe? i want to see what color you got and how it looks, thanks!
Fender Classic Series '50s Telecaster
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Mi Audio Crunch Box
all i can say is these New Epi's from china kick major A$$!!! so go try one.........and im glad to see that their are more Chinese Epi owners who are amazed and blown away too!!!!
Guys, it's no point arguing with the noobs. When reading reviews and opinions of a particular instrument, consider the source. As soon as someone says their Epi LP-100 or G-310 (or any standard Epiphone, for that matter) sounds and plays 'just like' its Gibson counterpart, just leave it and move on, because you know that nothing good will come from the thread. They're inexperienced and haven't developed an ear for their instrument, and regardless what you say, it'll only start a flame war.

And to add to that, anyone who claims that the current crop of Chinese Epiphones are the 'best ever' has been chatting to a crafty sales rep at Guitar Center for too long. Seriously, I've been trying Epiphones out almost every Saturday (my kid has a 1.5 hour gynmastics class next door to our Gibson dealer every Saturday afternoon, so I hang out there while I wait) for the past 4 years, and I've played literally dozens of both Korean and Chinese-made Epiphone. The difference in sound and feel between the Korea and Chinese Epis is night and day - hardly even comparable, with the OLD KOREAN models being the better sounding and better built instruments.

Now that's NOT saying that the new Epis are bad guitars. IMO, they're just like any other imported guitar - no better and no worse. IMO, you can get better guitars for the same money, because you pay a nice premium to have the Gibson name on it. But put the both guitars in the hands of a more experienced player, and the difference is pretty apparent.
Guitars: Custom Lado Earth 2000-3, Custom ESP Explorer, BC Rich KKV, Gibson LP Studio, Greco SG, El Degas Stratocaster, Agile AL-3000, LTD EX-351

Rig:Marshall JVM410H + Marshall 1960A, Boss Noise Suppressor
Last edited by Crunchmeister at May 29, 2006,
so this is about standards yeh?? any idea what the classic is made of?? how good is that??
Gibson SG (Heavily modded)
Fender USA Strat
Hohner 12 String-uber rare

Fender Silverface Twin

EHX Big Muff
Digitech badmonkey overdrive
Boss DS-1
Blackstar Distortion X
Dunlop Crybaby
Ibanez Delay
Digitech Whammy
thanks Danno lol this so weird cause i got like 4 comments in GC yesterday for wearing it lol---- i love johnny cash so much emotion in his music
yeah. whats the difference between the standard and classic?
Quote by Soma3009
I came up with this kick ass riff on my ukelele when I was 12. Find out two years later, it was smoke on the water. Got my hopes and dreams killed..

Quote by saintjimmy99
you used the right form of "their!" i commend you sir!

I've got an epiphone LP custom which is on par with a gibson LP classic tone wise, the only difference being in the pick ups. I dont think the pups were that much better in the gibson anyway. Also, the finish was perfect, nic efret work, etc. etc. It came with grover tuners, and the only complaint would be the bridge, which had kind of sharp "knobs" , but im replacing those. So yeah, you don't necessarily need a gibson to sound great.
you've got the gear i want pal, an epiphone les paul and a voxad50vt. i'll bet you've got a great sound!
Fender Classic Series '50s Telecaster
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Mi Audio Crunch Box
Alder down the middle. Mahog wings. BFD. Wood nazis.

When push comes to shove, and you did a real tone test of a Gibson vs Epi,
99% of the tone phreaks wouldn't be able to pick any better than the law of
probabilities.

If that Epi plays great and you like it, I'm sure it's damn fine guitar.
Yeah, that was a really well written, balanced review. I can sum it up in one sentence:

OMGZ EPI ROX DUDEZ BUY 1

A dwarf might hear you. What then?

My Music
Quote by edg
Alder down the middle. Mahog wings. BFD. Wood nazis.

When push comes to shove, and you did a real tone test of a Gibson vs Epi,
99% of the tone phreaks wouldn't be able to pick any better than the law of
probabilities.

I call massive ignorance on both those points.

1. you've just described the construction of a neck thru guitar, which shows you really don't know what you're talking about. The body is a mahogany / alder sandwich The center of the ENTIRE body is a 1 inch slab of alder sandwiched between two 1/2 planks of mahogany (with top being carved) and topped with a maple laminate.

2. And I can tell you that without a shadow of a doubt, I CAN tell the difference in tone between an Epi and a Gibson. If you know what to listen for, the difference is very apparent. In many cased, I can even pick out tonal differences in 2 «identical» Gibsons.
Guitars: Custom Lado Earth 2000-3, Custom ESP Explorer, BC Rich KKV, Gibson LP Studio, Greco SG, El Degas Stratocaster, Agile AL-3000, LTD EX-351

Quote by Ignite

The Studio sucks, I almost bought it until I found my baby- the Classic with the transparent black quilt-top. Now I just have to buy it from my dad (who's holding it for me until come up with the money).
Quote by Danno13
No, your Epi has a strip of alder down the middle.

Actually no. If its a frek of nature, or whatever it is, i asked the guy selling me what woods were used, no alder. Maybe its because my sample was made in tzech republic and not korea or china. I've played many epiphones, and compared to mine, most of them have sucked HUGE balls it has been unbelievable. So i got one of the rare great ones, no question.
Yeah, I don't know what it is about Epi Studios. Gibson Studios tend to be excellent guitars, since they're identical to the LP standard except for binding and pickups. Once upgraded properly, they actually sounded better (more like a Les Paul) because they're all mahogany, but the hardware is bad (particularly tuners), wiring is substandard, pickups weak, etc....

But if you're to get an Epi Studio, be sure to also get new tuners, pickups, and electronics. Then you'll have a decent guitar.

Page 1 of 2