Page 1 of 2
should i get the epiphone les paul standard or new standard plain top? whats the difference?
Quote by Soma3009
I came up with this kick ass riff on my ukelele when I was 12. Find out two years later, it was smoke on the water. Got my hopes and dreams killed..

Quote by saintjimmy99
you used the right form of "their!" i commend you sir!

All-mahogany body, non-flamed top, dual Alnico Classic humbuckers (as opposed to Alnico Hot in the bridge)
For sure. Cosmetically speaking, the figured tops on the Standards look better, but the tone of the all-mahogany body on the plain top will be a lot fatter and more solid than the alder / mahogany (mostly alder) sandwich that is most Epi Les Pauls. That's not dismissing the other Epis as sounding bad or anything, but if it's the Les Paul sound you want, then the mahogany body is a must.
Guitars: Custom Lado Earth 2000-3, Custom ESP Explorer, BC Rich KKV, Gibson LP Studio, Greco SG, El Degas Stratocaster, Agile AL-3000, LTD EX-351

Rig:Marshall JVM410H + Marshall 1960A, Boss Noise Suppressor
Quote by Danno13
All-mahogany body, non-flamed top, dual Alnico Classic humbuckers (as opposed to Alnico Hot in the bridge)

whats the difference cause i dont plan on changing pups.whats the price difference? do they still have them in all the colors and finishes?and about the ibanez,im just a gibby person
Quote by Soma3009
I came up with this kick ass riff on my ukelele when I was 12. Find out two years later, it was smoke on the water. Got my hopes and dreams killed..

Quote by saintjimmy99

Quote by \m/metallica\m/
Actually the plain top is a lot cheaper, it is $399

how can that be if its all mahogany?
Quote by Soma3009

Quote by saintjimmy99

General consumers don't realize how little it actually costs to produce these instruments in Korea, and now, in China. From an 'inside source' at Epiphone (a guy I knew who worked for Epiphone / Gibson's distribution branch for eastern Canada), the old Epi Les Paul Standards, when imported to Canada, cost (to the distributor) about $150 Cdn At the time (with the exchange rate 10 years ago), that was just over $100 US per guitar. They sold at wholesale (to actual stores) for about $250 Cdn, and were sold on the rack for a tag price of $500. And now that Epiphone have moved the majority of their Epi production to China, you can bet that the price per unit has actually dropped. And those savings get passed on their their board of directors and shareholders while the retail prices keep increasing.
Guitars: Custom Lado Earth 2000-3, Custom ESP Explorer, BC Rich KKV, Gibson LP Studio, Greco SG, El Degas Stratocaster, Agile AL-3000, LTD EX-351

so is the plain top made in china or korea? would my local guitar center have them yet?and again whats the difference in the pups?
Quote by Soma3009

Quote by saintjimmy99

bump
Quote by Soma3009

Quote by saintjimmy99

Yeah, all Epis are Chinese made except the Customs. The new LP Customs still appear to be made in Korea, but I'm sure that will change. If Gibson can cut their production costs of each instrument by 30% and pass the cost of moving production to China on to the customer in the form of higher prices, they'll do it.

again whats the pickup difference
Quote by Soma3009

Quote by saintjimmy99

Definetly go for the Plain Top. The body is all mahogany with a plain maple top. The regular standard is a mahogany/alder laminate body with a flame maple veneer.

The LP Plain Top comes in cherry burst, honey burst, and vintage sunburst.

As for the pickups, I believe they are identicle between the two models.
My Gear:

Washburn WI14 Electric
Washburn D10s Acoustic
Marshall MG100HDFXR Special Edition
Marshall MG412AR Special Edition

Quote by Danno13
^Xenn is my favorite MG owner EVAR.

Quote by jj1565
^ Xenn fav MG user evar
so there are not many differences between the original and the plain top? i just see the original in much more colors, but for the rest nog too many. i've read review about the original standard and what i've heard is that they're great too
Fender Classic Series '50s Telecaster
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Mi Audio Crunch Box
The Plain Top is new and is much better. Mahogany with a real maple top will beat an alder/mahogany laminate any day. The plain top is also cheaper by $100 (unless you just get the plain black standard).

If you're really hesitant about it, go try both out.
My Gear:

Washburn WI14 Electric
Washburn D10s Acoustic

Quote by Danno13

Quote by jj1565
^ Xenn fav MG user evar
god, this is tempting I should throw off my computer and lock myself in a room before I rob a bank or something
Quote by Xenn99
Definetly go for the Plain Top. The body is all mahogany with a plain maple top. The regular standard is a mahogany/alder laminate body with a flame maple veneer.

The LP Plain Top comes in cherry burst, honey burst, and vintage sunburst.

As for the pickups, I believe they are identicle between the two models.

no it says the pup are different
Quote by Soma3009

Quote by saintjimmy99

Whether the pickups are different or not doesn't really matter. Epiphone pickups are ok general purpose pickups. Regardless which, they're all pretty weak and substandard.

It just says what they are. If you look at the regular Standard and the Custom, they both say "2 humbuckers." It's not specified what they are.

I was told, however, that they are the same pups.
My Gear:

Washburn WI14 Electric
Washburn D10s Acoustic

Quote by Danno13

Quote by jj1565
^ Xenn fav MG user evar
Quote by Soma3009

Quote by saintjimmy99

ive think the classic has alder in it
Quote by Soma3009

Quote by saintjimmy99

bump
Quote by Soma3009

Quote by saintjimmy99

In a recent guitar review they claimed that the epiphone standard plus they tried out had no alder in it, only a mahogny back with a veneer maple top. So this might be the case with all epiphones, despite what the site says.
Quote by marvelboy_04
ive think the classic has alder in it

It does, right through the middle (its not a neck through though, my bass is constructed the same way). It adds a little brightness to it.
The classic is also alder/mahogany, so the plain top still beats it.

As for the mahogany standard, I'm sure there aer some out there, just like there are all alder ones, but for the most part they are alder/mahogany. The top is also just a veneer, so it won't have much effect on the sound.

I say listen to the Epi site because it will be the most accurate. Yes, there will be flukes here and there, but the majority of Epi's will be exactly what they say on the Epi site.
My Gear:

Washburn WI14 Electric
Washburn D10s Acoustic

Quote by Danno13

Quote by jj1565
^ Xenn fav MG user evar
^ not that it prob matters, since according to the specs, the plain top is better, but maybe the epi site still holds to korean standards, coz in the guitarist mag, they said they'd gotten their model from a china plant.. At any rate, i'd reccomend a PRS SE singlecut over any epihpone model any day. Thats based on what others have said, though. Also guitaist UK rated the PRS singecut over the epiphone. Its more expensive though.
As far as I know, all Epi's from the LP-100 up are made in Korea. I just tried an LP-100 the other day and it was made in Korea. I'm pretty sure that LP specials and the cheap LP jr.'s are made in China though.
My Gear:

Washburn WI14 Electric
Washburn D10s Acoustic

Quote by Danno13

Quote by jj1565
^ Xenn fav MG user evar
I read somewhere that they've moved all business into china, or are in the process of doing so. Not too sure though.
^It's possible. I wouldn't believe it until I see some China LP Standards though. Either way, I doubt the quality will change because Epis are mainly machine made. It's not like a Korean person can press the "ON" button on the machine better than a Chinese person.
My Gear:

Washburn WI14 Electric
Washburn D10s Acoustic

Quote by Danno13

Quote by jj1565
^ Xenn fav MG user evar
^The guitars would be made with pure mahogny versus the alder/mahogny combo. Thats a quality difference. I don't see why we're arguing anyway, the plaintop is a epiphone...

But still i'd still try out the PRS and see what i like.
^ I misunderstood you, lol. I thought you meant that new Epis would be lower quality if they moved to China...If they changed the Standard to Mahogany, that would be great. I hope they quit using that alder/mahogany combo...It's not horrible, but it just takes away from the tone.
My Gear:

Washburn WI14 Electric
Washburn D10s Acoustic

Quote by Danno13

Quote by jj1565
^ Xenn fav MG user evar
Quote by guitarforever<3
^The guitars would be made with pure mahogny versus the alder/mahogny combo. Thats a quality difference. I don't see why we're arguing anyway, the plaintop is a epiphone...

But still i'd still try out the PRS and see what i like.

im a gibby person
Quote by Soma3009

Quote by saintjimmy99

Quote by guitarforever<3
In a recent guitar review they claimed that the epiphone standard plus they tried out had no alder in it, only a mahogny back with a veneer maple top. So this might be the case with all epiphones, despite what the site says.

I witnessed an Epi Les Paul Standard that was in a car accident. The guitar was being transported without a case, and the body was split in 2, almost perfectly up the middle. You could easily see the layers in the wood. The bulk of it is alder.

Quote by Crunchmeister
Whether the pickups are different or not doesn't really matter. Epiphone pickups are ok general purpose pickups. Regardless which, they're all pretty weak and substandard.

Which is exactly the reason why I EMG'd mine up.
Page 1 of 2