Page 1 of 3
Alright kiddies, old farts, and everything in between.

Long have I been on a search for a guitar. Since I have picked up this fine instrument I've been on a quest for asskickery in its highest form.

Today, I have found the holy grail of ideas. I have found what I want to build, not highly original, however very innovative I propose my idea.

A seven string ESP Explorer built by yours truly.

I've never seen one. I love explorers, they're amazing looking and playing (though not my favorite guitar ) and I want a 7 string, lo and behold, I had an idea. A mother****in seven string explorer. Hopefully the 'originality' elitests wont frown too much on my idea and offer their insight into making an electric, as I've never fully completed an electric guitar.

So far I've come up with the idea-

Construction- Neck Thru
Color- White w/ black headstock (and binding?)

Body-
Mahogany wings.
ESP Explorer Shape

Neck-
MAPLE (I don't want it to break)
Fretboard- Ebony
Scale- 25.5
Radius- Gibson 14 degree?? or were gibsons 12? :P
Neck Profile (unsure... I want thin but not wizard thin.)
Frets- 24.

Hardware-
Matte Black
TOM+String-Thru
Locking Tuners
Brass or Graphite nut??
Black METAL pickup rings to match the hardware.

Electronics
BKP- Undecided
OR
EMG 7-81s

W/
3 way gibson toggle
EMG Afterburner (or similar gain boost)
If I get BKP I want to split the coils and stuff for each pickup.

Some unknowns-
Neck width/thickness. I'm loving the schecter 007 elite right now, does anyone know the measurements? Know where I can find em?

Pickup covers- I want covered 7 string pickups As of now, the only options are EMGs 7 string pickups, but I REALLY WANT BKP for this guitar. If anyone knows- How to make them, Anyone who KNOWS how to make them, anyone who WILL make them, or ANYTHING about it other than 'they don't make them" PLEASE tell me.

Binding- I was thinking about black binding for the guitar but I'm not sure.

The neck is going to be matching the guitar, not bare wood.

Shaping- Templates? How much would I change it for a 7 string?

Some things that would be helpful-
Place to snag great wood at a great price
Suggestions for hardware
Pickup covers!

Ideas/suggestions are more than welcome. I am 100% dead certain I am making this guitar.
I've heard BKP are VERY open to custom pickups. I don't think getting them to add a pickup cover will be an issue...actually I'm surprised they don't offer covered pickups in the first place
I will show you something different from either
Your shadow in the morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you
I will show you fear in a handful of dust
Quote by invisible_man
I've heard BKP are VERY open to custom pickups. I don't think getting them to add a pickup cover will be an issue...actually I'm surprised they don't offer covered pickups in the first place

The thing is noone makes 7 string covers. Noone. At all. Period.

They'll do any cover you want on a 6 string, but not for a 7.. because noone makes them. At least thats what i was told.

I duno why the black headstock would be ugly- its going to have an ebony fretboard, so I think it would look about normal. I could do it white with black binding, but it just doens't seem like it would be right... I mean.. ALL explorers have black headstocks.
Quote by wongacaster
maybe could have the body white white black binding and the headstock black with white binding i think itd look cool.
but yeah sounds good cant wwait for ya to start

Thats another thing I was thinking, white binding the headstock AND neck.... That could look sexy.

EDIT:

Tho it would look sweeter if the neck was black
Last edited by xxgenocide98xx at May 29, 2006,
http://www.nymphusa.com/kisekae/kisekaeE1.asp
http://www.jcfonline.com/resources/csgen/JCFCustomShop.htm

heres some sites where u can see what the explorer will look like ( i think they both have the explorer shape)
Quote by Unforgivable
LesPaulMarshalls ace!
Quote by Dudage
LesPaulMarshall, you friggin rock!
Quote by adrian_brown89
It's pretty hard to find someone as hardcore as Tom. The race for hardcore supremacy would be pretty close but i think Tom's got his nose just in front for now...
Well I pretty much know what it will look like.. think of Hetfield's explorers, but with seven strings and no inlay.

I was thinking black bindings on the body, white on the headstock and neck.. but that means I'd have to paint the neck black to do a white binding (duh)

maybe paint the back/neck black, and the front/sides white?

Anyone have an idea? lol
why not jsut have a plain neck, like not painted. does it have to be painted, coz if not i think just the maple with some satin over it would look and feel very nice.

also.....i think EMG's are your only choice as far as covered seven string pups go, which sucks coz Bk's would be awesome. do you know any welders? surely you could find someone who could make one for you?
I R tr00 Member of UG's Gain \/\/hores - don't pm gpderek09 to join unless you are truly worthy
www.purevolume.com/mordecaiaus
Quote by xifr
There is the possibility that I may have or may or may not have gone or not gone into the danger zone.

Quote by lespaulmarshall
I love you Joel
I don't know any professional welders though I'm sure I could find someone to help me out with it. I wonder if BKP get theres engraved or if they do it by hand...?

Also, I would prefer the neck paitned.. I'm not one of the picky kinds of people who wont play painted necks and I think that it would look nice on a neck-thru to have it that way. I dont mind raw/clear on bolt ons, but on neck-thrus it just doesn't look right to me

I really want to stray away from EMG pickups. I mean, I love my EMGs, but I want this to be a sweet custom guitar I've never tried EMG 7 string pickups, either. I know BKP are sweet, but I've never really done anything with the 707s or 7-81s either, just alittle bit of playing back a year and a half ago.
i guess the best option is just to pay some fabrication place to make you some pickup covers and get BKs. its shouldn't cost more that $20, considering a decent welder could knock it up in a minute.
have you actaully emailed tim (from BK) and asked if he can get covers. if not do so right now, because it may save you money.

oh and by the way this is gunna be awesome, assuming it is done well.
I R tr00 Member of UG's Gain \/\/hores - don't pm gpderek09 to join unless you are truly worthy
Quote by xifr
There is the possibility that I may have or may or may not have gone or not gone into the danger zone.

Quote by lespaulmarshall
I love you Joel
I just sent BKP a long-overdue (and long winded) email concerning 7 string pickups and matching them

I was told on the BKP forum they dont do covers for 7 strings but I'd be willing to get them custom made and send thema ll the way back to the mythical fairytale BKP workshop to have them engraved, if possible.

This guitar will kick all kinds of ass. I will make sure of it. Its getting started in the next couple weeks, whenever my lameass friend pays me back all the money he owes me
cool. i eagerly await. this will be cool.
Quote by xifr

Quote by lespaulmarshall
I love you Joel
Yup, i can't wait either.

Maybe I could even get some graduation cash early and get to start in the next two weeks =/ Who knows what I can talk my way into. I know I'll certainly be pulling all the strings I can to get this one rolling.

Should I just go with a regular explorer shape and use a 7 string neck, or should I make the body slightly bigger to accomidate the neck?
Cool, sounds good but have a white headstock with black binding as well...

Yea, forget the pic it wasnt working. It was just a mockup of what you specified above.
~ My Gear ~

Gibson Les Paul Studio in Alpine White with EMG 81/60
Fender Stratocaster
Marshall DSL401
Boss Metal Zone MT-2
Boss Super Overdrive SD-1
Boss Noise Suppressor NS-2
Digitech RP80
Samson Wireless
Fender Champions Series 30
Last edited by Frostithe at May 29, 2006,
this sounds like a rockin' guitar, man.

would the emg81-7's maybe be a bit trebly, with a maple neck thru guitar? don't emg do another 7 string pickup?

but yeah, unless something unforseen happens, I think you're out of luck with the 7-string covers for BKP.

other than that I don't know too much. Just popping in to wish you luck, man.

I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
^ works fine for me...

which link are you clicking on?
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
The one in the quote just redirects me to a white page, telling me to go back to the Complete Telecaster page, and it has a English and Japanese link.
^ click english. then click "cancel" when it asks you if you want to install japanese characters (or it may not ask you if you already have them installed).

Then click the circled red icon in the attached pic. That should do it, Teddy.

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
this sounds like a rockin' guitar, man.

would the emg81-7's maybe be a bit trebly, with a maple neck thru guitar? don't emg do another 7 string pickup?

but yeah, unless something unforseen happens, I think you're out of luck with the 7-string covers for BKP.

other than that I don't know too much. Just popping in to wish you luck, man.

Well its mahogany and maple, so I duno if it would be too trebly. you have to remember who this is, this is genocide. I have alder/maple everything.

EMG also do the 707s, which are said to be more like the 85.

And I will get those pickup covers done at all costs, even if I have to pay to have them handmade.
Dude, that's like my dream guitar... a 7 string explorer. I don't think any brand makes them...
Anyway, are you talking like pickup covers? Wouldn't those be relatively easy to make, or at least to have made? If you take it to a blacksmith, perhaps you can tell him to make them... shouldn't come out too expensive either.
And will the covers be chrome, or painted? They'd look kickass with a black powder coat.
Quote by primusfan
It wasn't mean, it was Portuguese.

Master Saruwatari of the Pit Samurai Pm theguitarist to join

Membro do clube Português do UG.
I want them to match the rest of the hardware w/ the BKP scripture logo on them.

I'd do that except I don't know anyone who does that kind of metal fabrication
Isn't there a blacksmith anywhere near where you live?
Quote by primusfan

When I click on the link in the red circle, I get redirected to the white page again, with the English and Japanese links.

It's a never ending cycle.

Edit: There we go. I had to allow cookies from the site.
Quote by jmag
Isn't there a blacksmith anywhere near where you live?

There is, but I don't know any off the top of my head. haha. I'm waiting for a reply from BKP before I get to the point of looking for one.

Kisekae doesn't do me much good because A: I don't see 7 strings really and B: They have no explorers bastards.
I think there is a possibility of them making some for you... But somehow I think it's going to be more expensive if made by them. I dunno, but it just seems that a blacksmith would be more fair in the pricing. Or maybe it'd be the other way 'round, I dunno. What do you think?
Quote by primusfan

If they engraved their logo on something they didn't do, they'd automatically go 10 points up on my consideration (does that word even exist?).
Anyhow. Covers matching hardware, right? Are you making them just plain back or did you think of something like powder coating? I can't get this off my head... I love those paintjobs. One day, I'll have a powder coated aluminum pickguard. One day. Some day.
Quote by primusfan

I'm not sure, I asked-

Do you guys do 7 string pickup covers
If not, can you get them made?
If you can't get them made can I have them made and ship them to you to have them stamped or engraved with your logo and fitted to the pickups?

As far as the colors go Its gonna be something with a glossy black.

OK, Tim at BKP got back to me

Its not possible for him to make 7 string covers. They just spent a great deal of money on a machine for the covered 6 string and demand for 7s isnt high enough (and probably never will be I'd say )

I'll ask if I can send him covers and have the logo put on or something.

He also sent me some clips of Chris Broderick playing a Jag Panzer solo.. ****ING AWESOME. Powerball + BKP = face melting. I'm putting BKP in this thing regardless.
http://www.jcfonline.com/resources/csgen/JCFCustomShop.htm i think that one has explorers.

don't you already have BKP's? how didn't you know they'd sound awesome? or do jag panzer use 7 string ones?

and haha, yeah, you do tend to like trebly, lol.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Yeah dave, I have a BKP set already. The miracle man was great when I had it in my LP, its less than impresive in my strat BUT...

I've never heard clips of BKP with a Powerball before, and I was naturally excited to hear Broderick picked up a few pairs for his guitars, which are 7 stringers, and much to my suprise tim sent me a clip. It ****ing owns.

The clips he sent were of the Rebel Yell, which was better than I expected.

He also reccomended the new holydiver. (Holy Divah!! You've been gone too long in the midnight scene, oh whats becoming of me?!!) which I will check out.

I was thinking Nailbombs, to be honest, how do they compare?
^ hah, you know what i'm gonna tell you, geno- head over to the BKP forums! I haven't tried any, lol. I like the sound of the holy divers too. and the nailbombs. and the rebel yells...

grr. GAS!

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Already got a post in there about pickups for the schecter I'm buying.. I figure right now talking to Tim about this is probably the best idea, so I'm gonna have a chat with him via e-mail about it.

The clips of the Rebel Yell owned, though. The Jag Panzer sold it, Broderick has an AMAZING tone.

EDIT:

I just have to state again: That clip ****ing owned. great tone. OMFG. I can't stop listening to it.
Quote by xxgenocide98xx
Already got a post in there about pickups for the schecter I'm buying.. I figure right now talking to Tim about this is probably the best idea, so I'm gonna have a chat with him via e-mail about it.

The clips of the Rebel Yell owned, though. The Jag Panzer sold it, Broderick has an AMAZING tone.

EDIT:

I just have to state again: That clip ****ing owned. great tone. OMFG. I can't stop listening to it.

haha, cool. have you heard steve steven's clip of the rebel yell? it's in the players forum, stickied, i think.

but yeah, you might as well talk to tim, when you have his ear...

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Yeah I heard that one and I checked out the sticky, too. To me the rebel yell sounds like they have too much presence or something, its alittle bit too raunchy/rock and not enough 'metal'
EMG makes 81-7 (81), 707 (85), and 60-7 (60). The 60-7 is actually brand new, and will slow start shipping.

BTW, this project sounds metal to the end. Awesome

Why are you going with string-thru though? IMO a full out TOM works better than a string thru on the explorer.
haha
Quote by xxgenocide98xx
Yeah I heard that one and I checked out the sticky, too. To me the rebel yell sounds like they have too much presence or something, its alittle bit too raunchy/rock and not enough 'metal'

true. aren't jag panzer metal, though?
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
^ Yes, Jag Panzer is an orgasmic metal band.

In fact, I'm listening to Symphony of Terror right now.
Obligatory Gear List:
Dean Vendetta 2.0
Peavey Valveking 112
Ibanez PF5-BK Acoustic
Page 1 of 3