Page 1 of 15
Excuse the ambitious title, but at least its attention grabbing. I wanted some views from all the UGer's out there as to what they thought/think of The Smiths, particularly Morriseys voice,are they Over-rated/Under-rated? Best work? Lasting contribution?

And when/where/if ever is it appropriate to cover one of their songs or will the poignancy and brilliance of Morriseys lyrics 99% pass over the average drunk pub/club go-er's head and be deemed "too serious"?

Personally, I think Morrisey is one of the greatest songwriters, certainly in a lyrical sense, of the past 50 years. And I think as a vocalist he has a wonderful voice.

Well if your a Smiths fan and you are as bored as I am hopefully replies will ensue.
Morrisey is number 3 on my most hated list.
"There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. Some kind of high powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die."-Duke
i really don't like morrissey.

i dislike his voice and i haven't gotten into the smiths for this reason.

over rated in my opinion..
Quote by Jaret Reddick
wake me up when september ends makes me cry evry time!

emos forever
:-(
Yeah, Morrissey has a very easily hateable voice.

Maybe take comfort in the fact that they have the best song titles since the Beatles, but few of their songs really grab me like the titles - What Difference Does it Make probably being one of the only tunes I really like.
As far as I am concerned, The Smiths are an awesome band, and quite posibly one of the best since the beatles. To be honest, I'd rank them as third best behind Pink Floyd and Led Zep (excluding the beatles).

Morrissey's lyrics, especially during his time with The Smiths speak to me like no other lyrics ever have before. I find the guy to be a massive inspiration. Also, I look ayt Johnny Marr and I feel he is most probably the most underrated guitarist ever.

Perhaps the most underrated part of the asmiths is the bass and drums...the bass in 'This Charming Man', for example, is amazing, and keeps the song feeling bouncy...for lack of better word.

In my opinion, lyrically, and musically, the Smiths are one of the best bands to come around in years.

EDIT: To the thread starter, I agree with your views.
'Mon The Biffy!

Boing Boing

Member #2 of the Biffy Fan Club. PM onlyonehere to join.

Quote by Caustic
I like this guy.
Last edited by Biggs at May 29, 2006,
I love The Smiths, but I like the Mozfather's solo stuff better. It just appeals to me more.
But The Smiths were how I got into him, so it doesn't really matter, I love them both.
The best Smiths album was Meat Is Murder. But that's just one thing. I believe The Smiths were the most important band since The Jam, lyrically and musically.
Andy Rourke was the best bassist of the new wave era, bar Bruce Foxton.
I like the Smiths a lot, and I never seem to hear anything about them, so I guess I'd say underrated. Best English band since the Beatles? Def. not.
you tell me who's better. i think good charlote are better than the bealtes but that's only because their lyrics mean more and they are better musicians.

Member #4 of The Mars Volta fanclub. PM happytimeharry to join.
I don't really know how a band can be considered 'the best'. I really like Morrisey's lyrics, although some are self-abosrbed and somewhat pretentious. Morrisey's voice is awful, IMO. The real talent lies within Marr and the jangling guitar pop he created. The Smiths would have been nothing without him. Meat is Murder was a pretty bad album though, in particular the failed protest of the title track. They probably rank with Led Zeppelin as the most influential British band since the Beatles.
The Smiths are great, Morrissey is just a bitter old so and so, plus his solo stff is terrible. Also, he didn't turn up to the Isle of Wight festival a year or so ago. That maddened me.

They arent the best British band since Beatles.
They arent even the best British band from Manchester - that one goes to Joy Division.
it really depends on the songs. but i don't like them muck, i do like there's a light...

i mean how annoying his voice is
the heart is a risky fuel to burn
the smiths were really great.
don't ask me to decide please.
i don't even know if i could decide between the smiths and joy division, much less the smiths, joy division and the beatles!

and for the record, morrisey is nothing without the rest of the smiths.
i am member no. 3 of the 'coheed and cambria fan club' interested? pm CoheedANDnofx6.

"I'm against picketing, but I don't know how to show it"
-Mitch Hedberg
I really love The Smiths, and Morrisseys voice.
But damn, his solo work pisses me off. He's become so damn self-righteous and irritating.
And yet, to me, what is this quintessence of dust? Man delights not me: no, nor woman neither... nor women neither.
i kind of hate the smiths. mopey rock kind of sucks.

i do like the song "girlfriend in a coma" but that's mostly because of mojo nixon's cover of it
^The Verve better than The Smiths? You're having a laugh!
Love The Smiths, don't really like Morrisey's solo stuff. Favourite song is You've Got Everything Now.
War... it's fantastic!
Overrated, boring and morrisey is a tit.
Tears in waves, minds on fire
Nights alone by your side
Morrissey is probably my favourite vocalist, by a long way

I don't know how anyone finds him depressing though, I think he's got such a sense of humour that's so evident in so many of his songs.

Smiths (espicially the lesser known stuff) and his solo stuff is incredible. Best band since The Beatles? Maybe, I think Radiohead are stiff competition for that title too.
no certainly not the best since the beatles, but fantastic anyhow. i'm never not in the mood to listen to the queen is dead, and especially cemetry gates.
"I see my light come shining from the west down to the east
Any day now, any day now I shall be released"

Know any good teachers in NY, especially skilled in teaching ear training? Tell me
I love Morrissey's songwriting style. It's so cynical and ironic. The Smiths are better than his solo, IMO.
Quote by RockNNotToRoll
I don't know how anyone finds him depressing though, I think he's got such a sense of humour that's so evident in so many of his songs.

Unfortunately, the irony is completely lost on many, particularly with the American audience. I think if you look up irony in an American dictionary it's defined as "kind of like metal".
Quote by scoob666
Unfortunately, the irony is completely lost on many, particularly with the American audience. I think if you look up irony in an American dictionary it's defined as "kind of like metal".
the heart is a risky fuel to burn
morrissey and the smiths are both equally amazing.

im a sucker for mozza.

'england for the english....'
rites of nothing.
the smiths are the best band since the beatles, no questions. morrissey solo is good

music too (thet are still not BETTER than the beatles)
I didn't like the smiths until a few weeks ago, 'There is a light' came on VH2, and I was like, this is awesome, so I immediately went out and bought The Queen Is Dead, now I would definately consider them one of the core british bands ever. The thing that I hate thogh, although it's not their fault, is the hundreds of crap, generic indy bands theyv'e spwaned, especially ones that have come out in the last few years.

Don't like Mozza's solo stuff though, I find him overly mopy, and he moans to much, theres nothing wrong with the songs, but I just hate him.
Quote by indierock1
the smiths are the best band since the beatles, no questions. morrissey solo is good

music too (thet are still not BETTER than the beatles)

Correction: Oasis are the best band since the Beatles . . .
- Rock -