Page 3 of 15
Britain has really produced a lot of great music: Beatles, Led Zep, Pink Floyd, Smiths, Cure, My Bloody Valentine, Jesus and Mary Chain, Blur, Radiohead... I think they've got us beat.
Quote by meh!
THe Smiths were bad, and Morrisey is absoloutley jessusing awufl, I cannot stand him.

You're bad and absolutely awful and I cannot stand you

By the way my favorite Smiths song is Last Night I Dreamt That Somebody Loved Me
Bishop of Zeppelinism PM The Heartbreaker to join.

Quote by Duff_McGee
Everyone knows that the day the Metallica ends, the world ends.
Quote by Fixer
You're bad and absolutely awful and I cannot stand you

By the way my favorite Smiths song is Last Night I Dreamt That Somebody Loved Me

Don't let that idiot bother you. He cannot even spell! And my favorite Smiths song right now is Frankly Mr. Shankly, but it changes quite regularly.
Quote by UMadeMeRealise
Britain has really produced a lot of great music: Beatles, Led Zep, Pink Floyd, Smiths, Cure, My Bloody Valentine, Jesus and Mary Chain, Blur, Radiohead... I think they've got us beat.

You forgot The Who, Rolling Stones, Sabbath, Queen :P:

Nah, you got plenty of sweet bands. Pearl Jam, Smashing Pumpkins, Metallica, REM, Tool, Sonic Youth... Hendrix, damn you, Hendrix!
And yet, to me, what is this quintessence of dust? Man delights not me: no, nor woman neither... nor women neither.
Quote by Caustic
You forgot The Who, Rolling Stones, Sabbath, Queen :P:

Nah, you got plenty of sweet bands. Pearl Jam, Smashing Pumpkins, Metallica, REM, Tool, Sonic Youth... Hendrix, damn you, Hendrix!

Seems to be a bit of a world cup of rock bands here.... I'm Irish by the way, is this thing judged on Great band per head of population?
ah i love both his solo work and the smiths.
saw him in london in may and at benicassim, and he is fantastic!
opened with panic when i saw him in spain and that was incredible!
not so keen on his new album as with you are the quarry and some of his others, but it is still a very good album
right, pretty much obsessed with these guys now. awesome, just awesome

NO I'VE NEVER HAD A JOBBBBBBB BECAUSE
IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIMMMMMMMMMMMM TOOOOOOOOOOO SHHHHHHHHHHHHYYYYYYYYY
guys...giys

you best stop the fighting.

oh and this charming man is a bit of a tune!
Most overated band of all time, in my opinion. Don't hate them by any means, just, over rated.
yeah i have to agree, i think they're really overrated. I don't hate their music but there's just something about their sound that makes it sound really dated to me. I prefer most of the other British bands that have been mentioned ( the who, the cure, pink floyd, radiohead, etc)...
i dreamed i saw st. augustine
alive with fiery breath
and i dreamed i was amongst the ones
that put him out to death.
Quote by pumpkins_rule
Johnny Marr is definitely the most underrated guitarist of all time. No one ever gives him recognition despite his brilliant skills as a songwriter and rythym guitarist.

I am a huge Johnny Marr fan and he is underrated, but John Squire has got to be more underrated than Marr.
#1 member of the Oasis fan club. PM me to join
Quote by bobby_zman
yeah i have to agree, i think they're really overrated. I don't hate their music but there's just something about their sound that makes it sound really dated to me. I prefer most of the other British bands that have been mentioned ( the who, the cure, pink floyd, radiohead, etc)...

I'm not entirely sure how they can be so overrated when so many people hate them with all their soul

(And bands like Oasis exist)
And yet, to me, what is this quintessence of dust? Man delights not me: no, nor woman neither... nor women neither.
I think the Beatles are overrated. I much prefer The Who to them.

Also The Smiths are my favorite non-metal/hardcore/punk band.
Quote by sydbarrettsaves
the short answer to your smiths proposal is:

no. regardless of your title, i think you're forgetting to take into consideration many other influential artists. namely pink floyd... anyways i think they're a bit overrated as well.

Well I really think you're too biased to be saying that.
Ain't Nuthin' But a UG Thang: Generic member of the UG Hip Hop/Guitar Music Equality Illuminati

Quote by mydarkesthour

It seems like UG is full of those Caveman Metalheads

Quote by mydarkesthour
I meant caveman as in long haired....

Quote by sydbarrettsaves
the short answer to your smiths proposal is:

no. regardless of your title, i think you're forgetting to take into consideration many other influential artists. namely pink floyd... anyways i think they're a bit overrated as well.

totally untrue in every way.

what is it with you yanks and crap classic rock bands? led zeppelin? Pink floyd?

all awful
Floyd is not awful in any way, I'm sorry man. One of the most important bands of all time. Even non-fans ought to be acknowledging that.

It irritates me when I'm arguing on the same side as such ignorant people. It's like people around me are discrediting any point I may have to make simply by being there.
Quote by Caustic
Floyd is not awful in any way, I'm sorry man. One of the most important bands of all time. Even non-fans ought to be acknowledging that.

It irritates me when I'm arguing on the same side as such ignorant people. It's like people around me are discrediting any point I may have to make simply by being there.

Yeah even though I don't listen to them anymore, Pink Floyd were extremely creative, technical and were able to make a new record every time without changing too much. This is very hard to do. I agree that Led Zeppelin shouldn't be worshipped though. They're terrible.
Ain't Nuthin' But a UG Thang: Generic member of the UG Hip Hop/Guitar Music Equality Illuminati

Quote by mydarkesthour

Quote by mydarkesthour

Quote by j0nmcc
^^

OH NO YOU DIN'!

Ahaha well it is only my opinion, but I think Jimmy Page was a boring improviser who was really sloppy, Robert Plant was annoying as fuck and that John Bonham was a stupid show off who had no reason to play thirty minute drum solos because after two minutes it becomes tired and boring. I have no beef with JPJ though, I think he was the most talented member of the group.

Quote by mydarkesthour

Quote by mydarkesthour

I can put up with Bonhams overzealous drum soloing because he's one of the few drummers who can pull it off. And I dig like, purely percussive instrument music too. It taps into something primal. However, a gigantic drum solo slap in the middle of a rock song totally kills the dirty rock and roll energy and groove that Zeppelin thrived on.

I'm a pro JPJ guy too. Very talented guy. Page and Plant, funnily, I can take 'em or leave 'em. But ****, we're talking about The Smiths, dudes!

Andy Rourke is underappreciated.
I LOVE MORRISSEY! and the Smiths, went to see Morrissey recently and it was the best experience of my life!
He has the most soothing voice, i can't get over it! He is an obsession of mine. The Smiths and Morrissey are without a doubt the most influencial bands/artists I have heard.

Never take my Morrissey away from me lol

By what means is Morrissey a twat exactly? He has never really done anything to make himself a twat, and he isn't very self-righteous at all...
He's always very modest about his work and hates it when people say it's brilliant, the only time he ever praises himself is when he does it in a joking way.

Plus he actually makes the effort to make conversation with his audience at shows...
"Sheila take a bow...boot the grime of this world in the crotch dear!" MOZALINI
The Smiths are brilliant. One of my friends started calling me "Art Fag!" because I like The Smiths, though.
Wade in the water, child.
Oasis are better IMO but in the 80's they were the best british band since the beatles.

Absolutely quality band and Marr is an absolute genous.

Morrissey's solos stuff hasn't been good and certain albums very poor but the odd album lik You are the quarry has been good.
IMO:
The Smiths are one of the greatest bands on earth ever, Morrissey's voice is amazing and so unique. And yes he is probably the best song writer of all time.
My favourite song has to be "this charming man".

Yes they may be too serious for the average drunk pub/club. But i'd go with "Panic" as the music isn't as gloomy (for lack of a better word).
Quote by _propaganda
IMO:
Yes they may be too serious for the average drunk pub/club.

Just slightly. The Smiths make music to sit alone and think to.
i definitly do not think that the smiths were the best band since the beatles, i think thats a ridiculous title if i had to choose a band for it it would probably be radiohead. although i do like the smiths quite a bit, i think my favorite smiths song is probably asleep or this charming man. i saw johnny about a month ago when he was playing with modest mouse and he still looks incredibly young. he looked younger most of the guys in modest mouse and hes got to be at least ten years older than them. his guitar playing is very unique i think. i enjoy it greatly. they are a very influental band.
Quote by Monkeygone2hvn
i definitly do not think that the smiths were the best band since the beatles, i think thats a ridiculous title if i had to choose a band for it it would probably be radiohead. although i do like the smiths quite a bit, i think my favorite smiths song is probably asleep or this charming man. i saw johnny about a month ago when he was playing with modest mouse and he still looks incredibly young. he looked younger most of the guys in modest mouse and hes got to be at least ten years older than them. his guitar playing is very unique i think. i enjoy it greatly. they are a very influental band.

Radiohead are definately up there. I'm always torn between The Smiths and Radiohead... I think Radiohead win out because I have never, ever seen a band transform themselves as radically and rapidly as they have. Look at the difference between Pablo Honey and OK Computer.... shit.

The Smiths are a second to me, though.
I listened to 'Meat Is Murder' and I was unimpressed. I didn't despise it with a passion, nor did I really like it at all. It evoked nothing in me at all.

On top of that, Morrissey is a hypocritical twatbag (/me points out he used to wear leather shoes even when deeply embroiled in his stupid animal rights bollocks).

^His song titles are miles better than the songs themselves IMO. Although, one or two Smiths songs, I ****ing love to bits.
Reading through this thread is fun.

I tolerate the Smiths but I don't like them.
I despise Morrissey. I think the man is a moron.
I think the Beatles are good, but stupidly overrated.
Oasis are the worst band to ever exist.
Pink Floyd are good.
Led Zepplin rival Oasis for the worst band to ever exist.

Although, I can still see why people like all of the above.
They probably are, but I think the Arctic Monkeys are pretty damn good, so they might be contenders
Quote by untitled039
They probably are, but I think the Arctic Monkeys are pretty damn good, so they might be contenders

Excuse me for just one moment while I hurl up everything I've eaten today in your face.
^usually don't like that sorta comment, but uhhhh, I agree x2.
The Smiths..Best English band since The Beatles?

Yes.

Morrisey's voice is unique and relaxing.
I think the Clash could have been contenders for this title. London Calling in my opninion is one of the best albums of all time and for me they are better than the Smiths.
Lets All Goto Mars: The I The FLAMING LIPS Club
Morrissey a moron? What planet are you on lol? He's a genius, you try writing a song like Disappointed or This charming man...o.O
And btw, I forget who said it...they weren't real leather shoes duh!

Mozalini is he...Mozalini is GOD ffs! :p
"Sheila take a bow...boot the grime of this world in the crotch dear!" MOZALINI
Quote by Bonomania
Morrissey a moron? What planet are you on lol? He's a genius, you try writing a song like Disappointed or This charming man...o.O
And btw, I forget who said it...they weren't real leather shoes duh!

Mozalini is he...Mozalini is GOD ffs! :p

Actually they were real leather. To quote Morrissey himself "I find shoes difficult to be ethical about - one just can't seem to avoid leather. One is trapped, ultimately". He wears fake now, but back in the late 80s/90s he used to wear real ones, despite his campaigning.