Page 4 of 15
Quote by robbie
I listened to 'Meat Is Murder' and I was unimpressed. I didn't despise it with a passion, nor did I really like it at all. It evoked nothing in me at all.

On top of that, Morrissey is a hypocritical twatbag (/me points out he used to wear leather shoes even when deeply embroiled in his stupid animal rights bollocks).

IMO, Meat is Murder is definately their weakest album. My favorite is The Queen Is Dead. Yes, I've listened to them a lot more since my last comment, and I truly don't think the thread title is an overstatement. They were that good.
[SIZE=
Quote by Caustic
Radiohead are definately up there. I'm always torn between The Smiths and Radiohead... I think Radiohead win out because I have never, ever seen a band transform themselves as radically and rapidly as they have. Look at the difference between Pablo Honey and OK Computer.... shit.

Pablo Honey was such a rubbish album that when Ok Computer came out it was made to look twice as good as it should've! What's so good about their 'transformation' anyway? As far as im concerned 'transformation' is a bad thing. If they had never released Pablo Honey, they would have had a debut just as good as Oasis' Definitely Maybe or The Stone Roses' self-titled.
#1 member of the Oasis fan club. PM me to join
Quote by oasis247
Pablo Honey was such a rubbish album that when Ok Computer came out it was made to look twice as good as it should've! What's so good about their 'transformation' anyway?

Eh, Pablo Honey was a good album. It was raw and a little naive, like many debuts. It just sounds worse than it is because The Bends came shortly after, and then OK Computer after that. And in many peoples opinions, Kid A after that.

And what's so good about their transformation? It's the fact that they're visibly growing and changing, and not being dominated by commercial demands. They could happily have released album after album of jangly pop tunes a la The Bends, but they didn't. They made the music that they felt they needed to make at that point in their lives.
As far as im concerned 'transformation' is a bad thing.

Well, stick to listening to Oasis, then. Personally, bands that don't change and improve themselves bore the shit out of me. The Gallaghers have made their fortune milking the hell out of a handful of simple ideas.

As far as im concerned 'transformation' is a bad thing. If they had never released Pablo Honey, they would have had a debut just as good as Oasis' Definitely Maybe or The Stone Roses' self-titled.

Maybe, maybe. But then, Oasis had Definately Maybe. Awesome album. But what have they done since? Released albums that, if they were an electronica band, would probably be classed as remixes. Radioheads development sets them apart. As opposed to just having a strong debut and a slide to obscurity, they've continued moving on and up.

Long and short? Shush, Radiohead are more than worthy. Now let's talk about The Smiths.

I'm starting to prefer Meat Is Murder to The Queen Is Dead, as albums go.
And yet, to me, what is this quintessence of dust? Man delights not me: no, nor woman neither... nor women neither.
I always preferred the first two over The Queen Is Dead, but recently I've been wanting to listen to it more. It's a bit more catchy at times.
Quote by Caustic
Eh, Pablo Honey was a good album. It was raw and a little naive, like many debuts. It just sounds worse than it is because The Bends came shortly after, and then OK Computer after that. And in many peoples opinions, Kid A after that.

And what's so good about their transformation? It's the fact that they're visibly growing and changing, and not being dominated by commercial demands. They could happily have released album after album of jangly pop tunes a la The Bends, but they didn't. They made the music that they felt they needed to make at that point in their lives.

Well, stick to listening to Oasis, then. Personally, bands that don't change and improve themselves bore the shit out of me. The Gallaghers have made their fortune milking the hell out of a handful of simple ideas.

Maybe, maybe. But then, Oasis had Definately Maybe. Awesome album. But what have they done since? Released albums that, if they were an electronica band, would probably be classed as remixes. Radioheads development sets them apart. As opposed to just having a strong debut and a slide to obscurity, they've continued moving on and up.

Long and short? Shush, Radiohead are more than worthy. Now let's talk about The Smiths.

I'm starting to prefer Meat Is Murder to The Queen Is Dead, as albums go.

you sir have done a great job in defending an amazing band, thanks for that, because im far to inarticulate to have done it.

as for the smiths i still seem to be liking their self titled the most. it flows well to me, i listen to it the most out their albums that i own.
I like Louder Than Bombs moreso than any of their actual albums.
Wade in the water, child.
It's okay, don't feel bad. I felt the same way once upon a time. You'll come crawling back. They all do in the end

Nah, kidding. But they are an acquired taste. It took me a long, long time for them to click with me. Now, they're one of my favourite bands and one of my biggest influences (except for the militant vegan side).
And yet, to me, what is this quintessence of dust? Man delights not me: no, nor woman neither... nor women neither.
Quote by Caustic
It's okay, don't feel bad. I felt the same way once upon a time. You'll come crawling back. They all do in the end

Nah, kidding. But they are an acquired taste. It took me a long, long time for them to click with me. Now, they're one of my favourite bands and one of my biggest influences (except for the militant vegan side).

I second that. I introduced the Smiths to one of my close friends who really listens exclusively to the old blues music. At first he pulled the "wow this dude sounds gay" card, and I decided to just call it quits and stop trying to show him decent bands outside of his preferred genre. Anyway, five or sixth months (!) later, he calls me on the phone and asks to borrow a few of my Smiths CDs because he said Morrissey had grown on him. I think the Smiths just have that effect on people...
[SIZE=
Finally found this damn thread

I've heard a lot about the Smiths (and Morrissey) and have decided to check them out. Which album should I start with? Which is the easiest getting into?
The Smiths were an amazing band. Johnny Marr was, and presumably is still, a great guitar player. endlessly depressing lyrics. For the most part it was a great match of unique guitar work that was on the meloncholy side with Morrisey's endlessly depressing lyrics. Great stuff and sometimes an interesting juxtaposition of upbeat guitar work by Marr, on songs like Ask and Girlfriend in a Coma, against Morrisey's lyrics. I agree with the others that Morrisey's voice can be annoying. Personally, I think he is a great vocalist but does enter whiney territory.

Favorite song; There is a light that never goes out. I love the ending the way it fades out, just beautiful.

As for best band since the Beatles; no. I would say Pink Floyd was one of the most creative bands around and Radiohead deserves a mention as well. To those who say Oasis, hahahahaha. YOu must be kidding. If Jimmy Page gets ripped for stealing old blues standards then Noel should get the same treatment for stealing from the Beatles catoloque, which he freely admitted to on a few occasoins. Boring self important blokes they are. For all his pretentiousness at least Morrisey can back it up with witty intelligent lyrics.
Last edited by TwistedLogic at Feb 22, 2007,
Quote by trackmind
Finally found this damn thread

I've heard a lot about the Smiths (and Morrissey) and have decided to check them out. Which album should I start with? Which is the easiest getting into?

Maybe you should get one of their "best of" albums, their debut album, or The Queen is Dead. Their happiest song might be "Stop Me If You Think You've Heard This One".
The Queen is Dead is a great intro to the band. The "Singles" album is a good mix, but the "Best of" (volume 1 and 2) aren't a great compilation.

Also... definitely not the best British Band since the Beatles, but I would say that the Smiths and Radiohead have been the more influential on today's indie music than any others....
I do like them, I think Morrisey's voice is more tolerable if you listen to a lot of British 80's Alternative. I recently picked up The Queen is Dead and it's a good album. The Smiths are like the Cure to me, I really enjoy them but if I listen to them tons and tons over an extended period of time I get really bored. I don't know much about the exploits of Morrisey so I won't comment on his douche-ness, but, unless you do something really douche-y, if Jesse Lacey namechecks you, you're ok in my books.
^that happens to me with the cure but not so much with the smiths. i spent a whole summer listening to louder than bombs and then the cassette broke. i bought another but now it seems too long and bogged down but the queen is dead takes it for me.
Quote by somewhat_here
i spent a whole summer listening to louder than bombs and then the cassette broke.

That's hardcore.
Wade in the water, child.
Quote by joshsirjoshules
Two words: Johnny Marr.

Let me quote Noel Gallagher:

"The man's a fockin' wizard."

Meant as a compliment, for once.

I am a very huge fan of music, but one thing I cannot stand is The Smiths, that also includes anything by Morrissey.

I just can't stand that man.

Anybody who says they need 'more regconition' or whatnot needs their head examining.
Thanks for your valuble and thoughtful input.

Anyway, I was listening to Suede the other day, and noticed just how much their vocalist reminds me of Morrissey.
Quote by Caustic
Thanks for your valuble and thoughtful input.

Anyway, I was listening to Suede the other day, and noticed just how much their vocalist reminds me of Morrissey.

Yep. They're both VERY annoying. Still... Two great bands. I enjoy both Suede and Smiths a lot.
I love Morrissey's voice. In my opinion there is no one who can draw parrallels to it, in terms of emotion and sound. If it hadn't been for The Smiths God knows where I'd be.
jonny marrs guitar playing makes the smiths for me. the sound of the guitars in panic made me want to play guitar
I HATE YOU
Quote by _zac_
ill flame as much as i damn well please

suck my balls
Lyrically, he is one of my favorite artists. And while I'm not generally a huge fan of the reverby open sound, the Smiths are one of my favorite bands.
Ernie Ball Musicman Stingray > Digitech BP200 > Gallien Krueger 400RBIII/115

Co-President of the fIREHOSE fANCLUB. PM Me, Tedrick, or Incubus_Science to join.

Quote by crazypeanutman

damn yertle, you got some groove
Quote by Goon
Morrissey has a lovely voice. I could listen to it all night long.

I think his voice is hypnotic. It just draws you in and washes over you. It offsets Marr's guitar perfectly.

I think that's what sets The Smiths apart, really. Other bands might rock harder, push more boundaries, even have more complex and unique lyrics, but they don't have the same chemistry and uniqueness of the combination of vocals and music. To me, anyway.
I'm really beginnig to like the Smiths, a lot. The first time I heard them I was like ''Meh, this is kinda gay". But I kinda grew on me. 'Is This Really So Strange?' is prob my favourite song by them (atleast of what I heard by them). It sounds so simple, still they manage to get all that energy out in their songs. Fantastic.

It's still kinda gay, though

EDIT: And best band since Beatles? Don't thnk so.
Quote by Caustic
I think his voice is hypnotic. It just draws you in and washes over you. It offsets Marr's guitar perfectly.

I think that's what sets The Smiths apart, really. Other bands might rock harder, push more boundaries, even have more complex and unique lyrics, but they don't have the same chemistry and uniqueness of the combination of vocals and music. To me, anyway.

Yes!! It all fits together so perfectly and everything compliments everything else so very well. Bands just aren't like this anymore... it was very unique to the Smiths.

I love the irony that comes with Morrissey's lyrics is shown also in the instruments and the sound. Like how the deepest, darkest songs have the happiest, brightest, bouncing basslines.
Last edited by Goon at Apr 24, 2007,
Quote by Goon
Yes!! It all fits together so perfectly and everything compliments everything else so very well. Bands just aren't like this anymore... it was very unique to the Smiths.

I love the irony that comes with Morrissey's lyrics is shown also in the instruments and the sound. Like how the deepest, darkest songs have the happiest, brightest, bouncing basslines.

Very true. That is one of the strong points of hte Smiths.
Am I the only one who prefers their debut over The Queen Is Dead? I think that album is slightly overrated......I prefer the rawness of their debut as opposed to the slight overproduction of the Queen Is Dead. Not that its a bad album.....its just everyone raves about it an the S/T never gets a mention.

BTW Johnny Marr is an A-M-A-Z-I-N-G guitarist