Page 5 of 15
Quote by xX*Zeppelin*Xx
I think the production on their debut is really crappy. But the songs are much better.

I know what you mean about the production, but, somehow, it gives it a bit of character (or maybe Im just weird )
The songs are alot better, I got a bit bored of TQID to be honest after a while, bar Cemetry Gates (love that one)
Your are not weird, I like underproduced rawer material too. Maybe I am weird . Lets start a club ; )
I have Strangeways, Here We Come. In my opinion, Smiths is love. Morrissey's voice is so soothing to me.
Cory is a girl's name too.

myspace.com/corysmash

aim me at corysmash196
Has anyone here actually seen the Smiths play?

I feel an increasing need to have a time machine in my life.
Quote by Goon

I seriously doubt it.

Anyway, I love The Smiths & Morrissey. I can identify with the lyrics, I love the jangly guitar, and Andy Rourke is one of the most-underrated bassists of rock. Favorite songs include "Please, Please, Please, Let Me Get What I Want", "Asleep", "Girlfriend in a Coma", "How Soon Is Now?", "This Charming Man", "Reel Around the Fountain", and "Suffer Little Children".
Quote by Goon

my dad is a huge smiths fan and he saw them play in 86 i think. he also met jonny marr in the 90s
I HATE YOU
Quote by _zac_
ill flame as much as i damn well please

suck my balls
Could someone explain to me what 'The Hand That Rocks The Cradle' is about......Ive heard its about child abuse, but I cant really link anything in the lyrics to it, maybe Im just a bit daft I would be glad if someone could tell me
Quote by lp345
Could someone explain to me what 'The Hand That Rocks The Cradle' is about......Ive heard its about child abuse, but I cant really link anything in the lyrics to it, maybe Im just a bit daft I would be glad if someone could tell me

I'd forgotten it was supposed to be about child abuse (Moz is so sweet) so I looked over the lyrics myself to see...its not OBVIOUS is it?! I suppose the title could be a euphemism for a child abuser...the only way i think the song could be about it is if you imagined the narrator WAS the paedophile, albeit, in a freaky parental way with a dark style of protecting. If you do look at it with that in mind the lines - 'for you are all that matters/ and I'll love you till the day I die' become rather haunting. Not as haunting as 'Suffer Little Children' though!
A lot of the Smiths guitar pro tabs are wrong, huh. Like "You've Got Everything Now", the guitar pro version that I have definitely doesn't sound as awesome as the song, especially in the verse.
Quote by HorridxHopes
Andy Rourke is one of the most-underrated bassists of rock.

I know! What the **** is up with that?!?
Quote by Saif Mehdi
A lot of the Smiths guitar pro tabs are wrong, huh. Like "You've Got Everything Now", the guitar pro version that I have definitely doesn't sound as awesome as the song, especially in the verse.

Yeah, I've noticed that aswell. Probably because Johnny Marr is so amazing.
i haven't really noticed with that song, it sounds fine to me. at least it has the chorus tabbed pretty correct-sounding.

but back to marr, the arpeggios he does are amazing, i would never think of playing the notes he does. especially on girl afraid, i can't even play that song.
I agree with European Son. I guess we'll never know exactly what chords he's playing in the "You've Got Everything Now" verse along with plenty of other Smiths's songs.
radiohead, best english band
ever.
not taking anything away from the beatles,
but come on.
I wouldn't say Smiths are the "greatest" band (if there is such a thing) since Beatles, but they are certainly one of the most influential. Probably nr. 3 after Zeppelin and Floyd (excluding Beatles, and in no particular order ).
Quote by UMadeMeRealise
My friend has got a Smiths chord book. I'll call her and ask what the chords are to 'You've got everything now.'

You're awesome.
^Meh, I've never really been able to adore Radiohead's music like everybody else seems to do in this forum. I just can't see what makes them so special.
Quote by Saif Mehdi
You're awesome.

Thank you. Unfortunately, it's only 'The Queen is Dead.' So if anyone would like those chords, I can help you there.

BTW, I totally prefer the debut as well. It's got much better songs and the raw, leaden production has a charm about it.
To be honest, I've never liked The Smiths. Marr is a good guitarist, though.
hoimhi0et0hm03oi
Quote by European Son
^Meh, I've never really been able to adore Radiohead's music like everybody else seems to do in this forum. I just can't see what makes them so special.

ya i think they're ok but they had to grow on me. the smiths, on the other hand, i fell in love with instantly.

how many johnny marr solos are there in the smiths catalogue? sure his playing leaves little to be desired as far as solos go but i think i've heard maybe 2 or 3 only?
He does one on Shoplifters of the World Unite, that sounds like it could be by a hair metal band.

I haven't listened the Smiths in ages! I think I'll go and listen their debut.
Quote by xX*Zeppelin*Xx
He does one on Shoplifters of the World Unite, that sounds like it could be by a hair metal band.

Ah yes, my mistake. That was a good one.
The Smiths had some wonderful tracks and as I listen to the Very Best Of more and more I discover great songs that I hadn't paid much attention to on first listen. I'm considering buying a few of their albums (The Queen Is Dead probably next) because I don't think you can truly understand how good a band is from a Best Of.

As for best British band, definitely not in my opinion. Radiohead are my favourites but it consider it impossible to surpass them in musical and lyrical achievements, they are just too brilliant.
Quote by UMadeMeRealise
Thank you. Unfortunately, it's only 'The Queen is Dead.' So if anyone would like those chords, I can help you there.

I would love to check out "The Queen Is Dead" sheet music.

BTW, I totally prefer the debut as well. It's got much better songs and the raw, leaden production has a charm about it.

Hell yeah, the debut is much more accessible, dynamic, and as you said - raw IMO.
Quote by xX*Zeppelin*Xx

aah yes. also there's the one from louder than bombs about the "sweet and tender hooligan." can't remember the title right now, my car's in the shop.
The Smiths = Fantastic, Johnny Marr has made a good album with Modest Mouse too hasnt he
THE LIBERTINES

Member of the We Have Better Taste Than You club
PM DorkusMalorkus with a list of your favorite bands to join.
^Yeah, but Johnny Marr should be more conceited and only hang around with other genius musicians.
how is there a five page thread on the smiths and i haven't posted in it once?
wow
just wow
how did i miss this or ignore it or something

anyway i just scored a bunch of smiths on vinyl, can't wait to listen
If Radiohead didnt come along i'd have to agree. But for some reason i think Radiohead's much better then the smiths. But still, The Smiths are ****ing awesome
I realize. That I hate the sound of guitars
Quote by .smudged.
what amp johnny used when he was in the smiths?

Fender Twin Reverb, I think.
And yet, to me, what is this quintessence of dust? Man delights not me: no, nor woman neither... nor women neither.
Quote by Caustic
Fender Twin Reverb, I think.
Correct.

Smiths > Beatles.
I will never travel brandishing a sharp tongue, out of fear of piercing my own heart...