I always read about people like John Frusciante and Van Halen and Malmsteem and all of them and how when they were kids they used to practice for 10-15 hours a day. It's not that I don't believe this my question is just how they did it, I mean that can't be good for your hands and how many days did they actually do that for like everyday for 10 years...I don't think so. I just want someone to explain a little about how they think it was done...and if you yourself do this then please explain your practice routine. Also what did these guys practice all those hours, did they just do covers of their favorite guitarists or scales or build their chops or what? That's a lot of time to do stuff so what were they doing?
Last edited by Amped at May 29, 2006,
Dunno about Frusciante or Van Halen, but Malmsteen dropped out of school when he was about 10 and played a lot of hendrix originally then got heavily into classical stuff.
Practicing for that long in itself would be detrimental to other aspects of your life - you're asking the right question when you want to know what they practiced but unless anyone knows what the "greats" did practice then we can't really be specific.

I'd guess that it'd just be good chops and then expanding on everything they know.
To me, shredders that practiced 10-15 hours a day have no personalities. You never see them laugh or smile. They always have that look that seems faceless. If you're going to sit alone for 3/4 of the day playing guitar, get out for an hour or so and develop people skills.
Quote by Dirtydeeds468
People don't like Dave Mustaine because he created something that owned Metallica in just about every single aspect of thrash metal.

it's true
i try 2 practice 3 hours a day weekdays.... This consists about 50% practicing "mechanics" eg chromatic scales and all options within with a metronome... I do this on my acoustic, because strengthens hands. The other 1.5 hours is genereally Jamming and learning new songs time. On the weekends i try to do 6 hours a day. Some music theory is chucked in on the weekends.... Thats my input.
Some people just can't put a guitar down. There's so much you can do with a guitar, and you're unlikely to accomplish everything. You can learn so many techniques that you can incorporate into your everyday playing. There's so many scales to learn, so many chords to master and even invent. So many styles of music.

There's no 'too late to start' time, but it might take you a bit longer to reach your desired standard if you practice less. Just practice as much as you can, but above everything, enjoy it dude.
Quote by supernashwankid
Some people just can't put a guitar down. There's so much you can do with a guitar, and you're unlikely to accomplish everything. You can learn so many techniques that you can incorporate into your everyday playing. There's so many scales to learn, so many chords to master and even invent. So many styles of music.

There's no 'too late to start' time, but it might take you a bit longer to reach your desired standard if you practice less. Just practice as much as you can, but above everything, enjoy it dude.

I am in full agreemnt
Quote by supernashwankid

Whoa.

You are blessed with wisdom.

nakki
i dont bother practicing scales. i write songs. if you can play every scale known to man but cant write worth a damn whats the point?
I R tr00 Member of UG's Gain \/\/hores - don't pm gpderek09 to join unless you are truly worthy
www.purevolume.com/mordecaiaus
Quote by xifr
There is the possibility that I may have or may or may not have gone or not gone into the danger zone.

Quote by lespaulmarshall
I love you Joel
Quote by joel_grieve
i dont bother practicing scales. i write songs. if you can play every scale known to man but cant write worth a damn whats the point?

Who says you can't do both????

Edit: I spend probably 30-50 % of my practising time doing scales, going through all forms or learning new ones, 35-25 % on writing new songs, and 35-25 % on learning others solos and songs.
yeah but if all i ever did was worry about my scales then i'd lose my ability to write. honestly after playing guitar for a while i've got a good enough hold on scales. i can play along to a song and play a solo. to a song i wrote. not some crappy backing track. i just feel more satisfied to actually create something, rather than try to become a shredder in a world thats all ready full of shredders.
I R tr00 Member of UG's Gain \/\/hores - don't pm gpderek09 to join unless you are truly worthy
Quote by xifr
There is the possibility that I may have or may or may not have gone or not gone into the danger zone.

Quote by lespaulmarshall
I love you Joel
Hmmmmm....i dont really see how you can practice that long, its highly likely they didnt. Hell i dont even practice, i just pick it up whenever i feel like it and do whatever. I suppose if you add all the times i pick it up during the day it would add up to about an hour and two, i dont do long sessions, i do quick like 2-5 bursts then put it down again. Im still pritty good though, been playing 3 years and i know some good stuff.
Quote by Stop Messin'
To me, shredders that practiced 10-15 hours a day have no personalities. You never see them laugh or smile. They always have that look that seems faceless. If you're going to sit alone for 3/4 of the day playing guitar, get out for an hour or so and develop people skills.

yeah, remember malmsteen's singing on the 2003 g3 jam, voodoo child? eww. that's what you get for not talking all day.
Quote by corduroyEW
Cheap amps are "that bad". They suck up your tone like cocaine at Kate Moss' party.

I am Michael!
i saw an interview with eddie van halen he as most of you know used to play drums and his brother alex played guitar he said when his brother used to go out on a date he'd pick up his guitar and 6 or 7 hours later his brother would come home and find him still sitting there and he also said when he got his own gutiar he used to stay home on weekends and yea people thought it was weird but once he got good he got all the pussy he wanted as for me i've been playin 10 months and i practice alott 7 hours a day on school days and on weekends 8 hours a day and i play just as good if not better than a guys that have been playin for 3 years
Cmstar90: i have too lisen to a song for hours just to figure out of one part it sound and how to move my fingers tso that it sounds that way
Cmstar90: when u seem to figure it out in seconds
i did it the other day, maybe not for 10-15 hours but for 5-6 all day saturday, i cant stop, as soon as im done with this post im gonna go pick it up again..
Behringer V-tone GM108
Epiphone SG
Quote by oscar7557
i saw an interview with eddie van halen he as most of you know used to play drums and his brother alex played guitar he said when his brother used to go out on a date he'd pick up his guitar and 6 or 7 hours later his brother would come home and find him still sitting there and he also said when he got his own gutiar he used to stay home on weekends and yea people thought it was weird but once he got good he got all the pussy he wanted as for me i've been playin 10 months and i practice alott 7 hours a day on school days and on weekends 8 hours a day and i play just as good if not better than a guys that have been playin for 3 years

you mean this interview? http://www.guitarz-for-ever.com/eddie-van-halen.html

its at the bottom of the page
Quote by Soma3009
I came up with this kick ass riff on my ukelele when I was 12. Find out two years later, it was smoke on the water. Got my hopes and dreams killed..

Quote by saintjimmy99
you used the right form of "their!" i commend you sir!

well i practice alot...or at least sued to and should again........ and i proabbly would for that long if i didnt have school.......and as for the hands........well when you miss and hit hard.... you lose some skin......as i learned...........well i do practice some real songs and some scales.... well i also did this........probably makes no sense to anyone.........

0 | 2 4 5 7 9 10
5 | 7 9 10 0 2 4
10| 11 0 2 4 5 7 9
| 5 7 9 10 0 2
7 | 9 10 0 2 4 5
0 | 2 3 5 7 9 10
I hope this is helping me practice, I'm sure it is. but I spend almost all of my free time playing guitar,(at least 2 or 4(hopefully) hours a weekday, and about 4-5 on weekends). All I really do is look up songs and play them. I only know 1 scale, Gmaj in first postion haha...oh man I do need to learn some scales dont I? :|
Quote by joel_grieve

...we all know how useless scales are when writing music.
I'm not racist.

I hate everyone the same.

Quote by Amped
I always read about people like John Frusciante and Van Halen and Malmsteem and all of them and how when they were kids they used to practice for 10-15 hours a day. It's not that I don't believe this my question is just how they did it, I mean that can't be good for your hands and how many days did they actually do that for like everyday for 10 years...I don't think so. I just want someone to explain a little about how they think it was done...and if you yourself do this then please explain your practice routine. Also what did these guys practice all those hours, did they just do covers of their favorite guitarists or scales or build their chops or what? That's a lot of time to do stuff so what were they doing?

The secret; I'm playing guitar right now. I play when dinner's in the oven, when I'm watching TV, when I'm listening to music, anything that leaves my hands open is filled with playing. It's not that I don't have a life outside guitar, it's that I include guitar in my everyday life.

Although I must admit, my grades COULD stand to be a bit better. Oh well, as long as I'm not failing.
Dickless.
Last edited by MetalMilitia212 at May 30, 2006,
Quote by SpIkE27Z
...we all know how useless scales are when writing music.

i know more than enough scales to be able to write music, but if you know every scale but cant use them in context then whats the point. if i could run through any scale in 3 seconds that'd be cool, but useless really because it wouldn't be pleasent for the listener. THAT's more like what i meant.
Quote by xifr

Quote by lespaulmarshall
I love you Joel
the point is some guys can play scales and arpegios so fast they sound like chords i mean thats ****in awesome but come on at a sertain speed it stops sounding musical
Cmstar90: i have too lisen to a song for hours just to figure out of one part it sound and how to move my fingers tso that it sounds that way
Cmstar90: when u seem to figure it out in seconds
If I had the time I could easily spend all day practicing scales. The main thing is
that I ENJOY it and really don't see it as work. As it is, I generally spend at least
a couple hours a day on scales.

The reason I enjoy it is because each and every day I see progress. When I'm
actually playing and improvising and start seeing the scale work becoming part of
my solos ... it's magic.

I would imagine you see the "pros" practicing so much is because they also enjoy
it as well.