Well, I used to record using the line out of my amp and the sound card's line in on my computer, but now I'm trying to improve the quality of my recordings. I got a nice microphone and stand at a garage sale, and now I'm trying to find out how to use the microphone for recording. I have a laptop without firewire, so USB is pretty much my only option. Now, I think that plugging the microphone into the line in on my laptop won't give me a much better sound. I've heard of people using mixers, but that would just go into the line in too, so it wouldn't improve the sound quality either, would it, unle3ss it was a USB mixer?

So, I now have a guitar, amp, laptop, and mic. What do I need next to be able to record with the mic?

Thanks!
Epiphone Special II -> Roland Cube 60
Ibanez SR400 Bass -> Ibanez Soundwave 20-watt
BOSS MD-2 Mega Distortion
if the mic fits into the laptop's mic input then it's simple:

1. get some recording software (i recommend cakewalk guitar pro 2 if your just starting out)

2. close mic your amp when you're going to record, don't plug it straight into your laptop!

if you plug it straight in you get such a generic sounding guitar tone, if you close mic it you can get the real tone of how it would sound live (which is much better.) just make sure you have the amp turned down pretty low when you're recording other wise you'll get a distorted recording (not good distortion.)
Could you please elaborate on what you mean? Do you mean, I should mic the amp rather than plug the amp straight into the laptop? THe laptop's line in is labeled "mic/line in", so would I get a really crappy generic tone if I plugged the mic directly in and put the mic in front of the amp? I guess my question is, do I need an interface or mixer, or can I just plug straight in and get a good recording quality?
if you want quality recordings, get an interface. period.

Adam
Quote by ollie_12318
my grandma is dying and my mum wants me to play something on bass for her, any body got any suggestions?!

Quote by splinter26
another one bites the dust has a pretty cool bass line
Yeah, I'm just trying to find the <i>best</i> way to record quality recordings. I can get a Shure 57 and Stand for $50-$55 from a friend, and beyond that I'm pretty short on cash, so I'm looking for the right mix of good quality and cheapness. Right now I'm debating whether I should get a M-Audio Fast Track or M-Audio Mobilepre. Anyone have any experience with either one? I'd apprecaite any input at all on which is better! Thanks UG!
meh, it's a shameless bump. What more can you expect?