Page 1 of 2
Hi all,

I was just wondering, whats the point of Telecasters?
Does the shape add some kind of different tone that a Strat doesnt? To me they seem exactly the same accept one has a different body shape, presumably to make it look cool. Is the only purpose of a Telecaster to broaden the choice someone has if they choose to buy a Fender guitar? Or do they serve a completely different purpose?
They sound different than a Strat, if that's the comparison you're making. Not only is the body shape different, but the pickups are different as well. Where a Strat typically has three single coils, a tele has two. Also, the bridge is completely different than any regular stop tail bridge or trem bridge.

Originally posted by VoodooChild15
If your girlfriend's having sex at 13, she's a dirty dirty whore. And if you're having sex at 14, you're a dirty dirty...pimp.

Looking for a drummer in the Detroit, MI area
PM if interested!

MySpace
and teles normally have a lipstick pickup and are good for soft rock and country.
Quote by ZanasCross
I'm now so drunk that even if my mom had given me a blow job at aeg 2, i'd be like I'm a pmp, butches.!

If this even madkes sense... if yhou sig this, Iw ll kill you.
I don't like Teles, I think they are more gimmicky then anything and only suit country really. I hear indie fags are quite fond of them.
if you have belief in ur soul and jesus you can do anything
get a tele without a pickguard add two humbuckers and you get a sex machine also add a flamed maple top
I love Teles. I love Strats, too, but Teles are my favorite. I'm a blues and soft rock kind of guy, so Teles really do suit me. The main difference in sound is that Teles have a lighter sound, and softer.
My stuff
Fender Telecaster Aerodyne Series
Gibson 1980 Les Paul Standard
Fender Standard Strat
Taylor 414-ce
Takamine Acoustic
1938 Gibson Lap Steel (priceless)
Fender Blues Junior
USA Big Muff Pi
Danelectro Fab Overdrive

My band
well as the tele came first afaik the question should be whats the point of strats?
My Musical attempts

My youtube music channel

Quote by TOMMYB22
Dammit, beaten to it, and by someone with the same name

CURSE YOU TOMMYT!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote by daeqwon10000
I hate tommyt and the high horse which he rides upon
Does the body have anything to do with? Like more resonance or something? Personally i think Teles like hideous.
Teles are simply another style of guitar. A very versatile guitar too, ask Jimmy Page, Paul Gilbert, or John 5. It's not just for classic rock or country, with the right pickups it's a metal machine.
It's a fine line between clever and stupid.
A Telecaster with flamed top with a vinered transperant finish, a hot rail in the bridge and a lipstick in the neck is THE MOST sexy guitar ever made. It turns me more on than any girl. In a different way of course.
Quote by greety
I hear indie fags are quite fond of them.

Quote by Dogruitag
i think he wants to dream theater to be considered more metal, so he dyed his beard.

Quote by LookAlive
Lmfao, this is the best thread ever, aside from the fact that it involves a girl being harpooned through a tent.
Quote by Mudder
Teles are simply another style of guitar. A very versatile guitar too, ask Paul Gilbert,

wtf paul gilbert hasnt used teles to my knowledge, the guitarist that replaced him in mr big (richie kotzen) however, did and has a signature model.
Tunes, gear and other random stuff can be found in my "UG" profile if you click my name
Jeez, Tele's are just as good for any genre as the next single coil equipped guitar. Hell, I usually play Rage Against The Machine, Pearl Jam and Lenny Kravitz on mine.

Morello himself uses a stock telecaster for his Drop D (and argueably his best) stuff.
I don't really like Teles in either look or tone, but they do have a unique sound and have their place. Regardless of whether I like them or not, they're a classic guitar that's remained virtually unchanged in 56 years. Country, blues, and a lot of classic rock owes its signature sound to the ugly old Tele, right alongside the Stratocasters and Les Pauls.
Guitars: Custom Lado Earth 2000-3, Custom ESP Explorer, BC Rich KKV, Gibson LP Studio, Greco SG, El Degas Stratocaster, Agile AL-3000, LTD EX-351

Rig:Marshall JVM410H + Marshall 1960A, Boss Noise Suppressor
Tele`s are awesome for blues and softrock..meh , i wanna buy one.
Behringer V-tone GM108
Epiphone SG
Quote by greety
I don't like Teles, I think they are more gimmicky then anything and only suit country really. I hear indie fags are quite fond of them.

Wow you do not deserve to be a mod after that comment, you think they are for fags! I'll list my 2 favorites, you are an absolute idiot

Eric Clapton- Yardbirds
Jimmy Page- Yardbirds, Led Zeppelin I, Heartbreaker and Stairway to Heaven Solo
Quote by greety
I hear indie fags are quite fond of them.

What a moron.
The tele is the least gimmicky guitar ever, two single coils, hard tail, one vol one tone, thats it. They are used for way more than country, but thatd be enough, what jerry Donaghue can do with a tele blows my mind. They are a great workhorse, probably the best rhythm guitar there is.
I rather find them very good instruments. I just love the feel on the neck, plus the tone is just awesome both clean and slightly overdriven/distorted.
It's Raining in my Cranium
Last edited by Tero Huttunen at May 29, 2006,
People say Telecasters are only good for country and soft rock, yet Jimmy Page used one on Led Zeppelin 1, the stairway solo and a bunch of other artists have used them. They have a nice feel to them (in my opinion) and I think they also look nice (again in my opinion)
and I think they're great guitars.
Looking to buy a Fender Jagstang, u sellin?
The Tele was introduced before the Stratocaster, and is still one of the biggest selling guitar designs ever. If anything, you should be asking what the point of Strats are. Now I gotta say i prefer the feel of a strat over a Tele, but it has a competely different tone than anything else out there, especially when fitting with p-90s or when it is a semi-hollow Tele. The Tele has its place in every genre of music and was/still is completely different from everything else out there- that's the point of them.
My gear;

Custom HSS Strat (eBay'ed parts)
Fender Acoustic
DOD EQ
EH Big Muff
Home-made Wah
Home-made Booster
Laney LC15

Looking for a Jazz Bass body to refinish

My DeviantArt Page, MySpace Profile
I love Tele's!! Hate Strats!! Actually, if Fender didn't make the Telecaster, I'd never touch one (a Fender guitar that is). They are so unique and awesome lol. And they are String-Though (at least the one's I've seen are, unless they got a Bigsby on them).
Current Rig:
Gibson Firebird Studio
Limited Edition Schecter 35th Anniversary C-1
Schecter Jeff Loomis Signature 7 FR
Ashdown Fallen Angel
Custom 7 Firebird from Ignition Custom Guitars (check them out)
ESP Phoenix
Telecasters have a richer tone than Stratocasters in my opinion. I have played both in succession, and find that the Telecaster has a very beautiful sound compared to the Stratocaster. Stratocaster's are still fine guitars, but I would probably buy a Tele before a Strat.
Tele's are different looking, different sounding guitars that Strats and other Fenders, end of.
"Breathe, breathe in the air
Don't be afraid to care"

Fender Strat/Tokai LS80>few pedals>Orange Rocker 30
AND if teles sustain much better than a strat with a trem. Less magnets=more sustain. Plus teles are much thicker than strats, i believe
#12 of the "Ibanez SZ over RG Club!" PM ibanez4life SZ! to join!
Quote by greety

you're an idiot.
I don't like the look of Tele's really, and I'm not a fan of many guitarists who use them (Page and Clapton are exceptions).

And greety, while I did notice that almost every indie band you see does play a Tele of some sort, that was a bit harsh to any indie/Tele fans out there
Quote by justinb904
im more of a social godzilla than chameleon

Quote by MetalMessiah665
Alright, I'll give them a try, Japanese Black Speed rarely disappoints.

Quote by azzemojo
Hmm judging from your pic you'd fit in more with a fat busted tribute.
Last edited by duncang at May 29, 2006,
you can pick a tele out of a whole room full of guitars playing at the same time.the tele has a tone all its own........a killer tone.
The Telecaster (Nocaster/Broadcaster) was THE ORIGINAL solidbody electric guitar. It was the first and it's still going strong. What does that tell you?

They're are not everyone's cup of tea. I find that they generally appeal to players with a more refined/matured taste in guitars. Although lately they're becoming a bit of a bandwagon fad.

American Stratocaster + Blues Junior

Quote by duncang
I don't like the look of Tele's really, and I'm not a fan of many guitarists who use them (Page and Clapton are exceptions).

And greety, while I did notice that almost every indie band you see does play a Tele of some sort, that was a bit harsh to any indie/Tele fans out there

lol, who cares.

i got the reaction i was looking for, so now obviously i have a hardcore boner.

indie fags.
Quote by greety
lol, who cares.

i got the reaction i was looking for, so now obviously i have a hardcore boner.

indie fags.

Metal elitist fag
Quote by Dogruitag
i think he wants to dream theater to be considered more metal, so he dyed his beard.

Quote by LookAlive
Lmfao, this is the best thread ever, aside from the fact that it involves a girl being harpooned through a tent.
Quote by ToolBass_dude
Metal elitist fag

/retreats

obviously, im out of my depth here.

the comments being hurled at me are obvioulsy far beyond any comprehension.
Quote by greety
/retreats

obviously, im out of my depth here.

the comments being hurled at me are obvioulsy far beyond any comprehension.

sarcasm doesn't suit you. Go back to hitting things in the name of metal.
Quote by Dogruitag

Quote by LookAlive
lol

I love this Forum, man.
Page 1 of 2