Ok, I am still stuck on tryin to find a scale that is good for rock-hard rock. Do you people have any prefrences, opinions or suggestions?? Currently I am using the Harmonic Minor and that seems pretty good so should i keep goin with it or Ill look at your suggestions.
depends how you want your solos to sound, go with the harmonic minor if you want them new sounding or maybe blues or penatonic if you want pure ac dc style ass kicking solos
Gear:
1980 Gibson SG Standard Cherry Red
Ibanez TM-71 Talman Artcore Semi-Hollow
2003 Tom Delonge Fender Strat Seafoam Green
Traynor YCV40
the reason i liked the harmonic minor is because it gives the classical metal sound.
ohh ok, well how is the phygrian i liked that a bit, and yeah i hate emo stuff
Ionian - 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 1

Dorian - 1 2 b3 4 5 6 b7 1

Phrygian - 1 b2 b3 4 5 b6 b7 1

Lydian - 1 2 3 #4 5 6 7 1

Mixolydian - 1 2 3 4 5 6 b7 1

Aeolian - 1 2 b3 4 5 b6 b7 1

Locrian - 1 b2 b3 4 b5 b6 b7 1

This should help you out a bit. PS: Emo gets you laid because girls have bad taste in music.
Last edited by silentdud at May 29, 2006,
haha yeah *girls do have a bad taste in music* no doubt bout that, but i dunno play s hitty music and get laid or play good music and who knows
Quote by silentdud
PS: Emo gets you laid because girls have bad taste in music.

Oi, no we don't. Emos suck.

You knew that was coming.
Mania VB4W natural walnut bass
Ashdown MAG300 1x15 combo - FOR SALE £190 ONO

Yamaha Pacifica 012 - FOR SALE £65 ONO
Laney LC30-II - FOR SALE £230 ONO
i use pentatonics or blues but you said you wanted a metal sound in hard rock? if were talking like acdc, Guns n Roses then go pentatonics and blues if were not then errr listen to everyone else! learn those modes.......
"Often licked never beaten......I wish"

"liquor in the front, poker in the back"
iv found that the harmonic minor is best for me so far beacuse im good witht the classical metal type of playing or i like it alot i dunno wich one.

Im still open for suggestions
Last edited by camo9543 at May 29, 2006,
If you haven't learnt it yet, I highly suggest learning the pentatonic scale. Also the blues scale is good too for classic rock, and it is very similar to the pentatonic scale (it just adds one note).
I think Harmonic Minor is the best for your style of music. Still, I suggest learning the pentatonic scale.
iv glanced at the pentatonic but not much any kind of pentatonic in particular or just plane pentatonic???
Try using fancy scales like Hungarian Minor and the Egyptian scale, things like that for a heavy sound.

If you're wanting a classic rock sound, pentatonics is the way to go.

Also I don't get your question, plain pentatonics?
'If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch you must first invent the Universe' - Carl Sagan.
my bad i just meant pentatonic, and yeah dont get me wrong im not a metal head i like to play hard rock and rock but not metal
Quote by silentdud
Ionian for a lighter more major feel

I laughed a little bit when I read that.

Common Solo Scales

Minor Pentatonic/Blues Scale = Classic Rock
Harmonic Minor - Sortof Metal Sounding
Phrygian/Dorian/Aeolian(Standard Minor)/Locrian - Dark Shred scales, used best when used together in their respective keys.
Ionian(Major)/Lydian/Mixolydian - Lighter Scales for the more-notes-than-average soloing.

My Short Rant on Modes - Soloing with modes just complicates things. 95% of ALL songs are either Major or Minor in tonality, say your playing a song in C Major. Playing D Dorian isn't gonna make your solo sound cool and dark over C Major, it's still gonna sound all happy, and resolving on D just sounds tacky. It's best not to pick a mode, but to learn all their shapes in their order so when you are soloing, you can stick with the relative major/minor, but then switch to another position on the neck in the position of a mode, but you're still playing the same notes, just in a different position.
If you know your formulas for constructing modes you're alright, once you've got used to all them you start to use them without realising.

And pentatonics, well you either got major or minor really, major pentatonic is more Free style whilst minor pentatonic is more ACDC and Metallica.
'If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch you must first invent the Universe' - Carl Sagan.
Use some sort of hybrid minor pentatonic scale. Stick in a b5 or maj3rd interval here and there - that usually works for me if I wan't a good rock sounding solo with a hint of touchy feely resolutions.
phrygian's great....you should get all the modes under your fingers though, eventually you'll develop a taste for one