So if i get a 2x12 AC30 can i put an attenuator on it, use it for bedroom use and take it off if i was to play live? Can i get the volume really low but still get tube tone?

I know absolutly nothing about attenuators so i have some ?s...

Can i use a weber minimass on it?
Since it hooks up to the speaker do i need 2 attenuators if the amp has 2 speakers?
Can i put the attenuator on myself or do i need a tech to do that?

If i can do this then what attenuator should i get? (i dont want a hotplate its too expensive. id prefer some kind of weber)

Is this a retarded idea?
Last edited by JET116 at May 29, 2006,
1. webers wont work on this amp.
2. Its a 30watt class a, an attenuator would be a big waste of money.
3. It'll connect easily, not that you would need to use one.
Ibanez -> Peavey -> Eardrums

Apparently I'm on some list of people to listen to..?
About all the gain is preamp anyway.
Why wouldn't a weber work?
#12 of the "Ibanez SZ over RG Club!" PM ibanez4life SZ! to join!
I don't see why a weber wouldn't work on it, but here's the problem- the AC30's speakers are wired right to the amp section, so there's no internal speaker jack to plug the attenuator into. You could either modify the amp (not too difficult but voiding your warranty) or get the AC30 head and cab separately (about $80 more than the 2x12). If you choose either of those options, I don't see why an attenuator wouldn't be a good idea, I don't know what funky_P is smoking today but an AC30 gets LOUD, especially if you're trying to be brian may. It might seem odd on a 'low power amp' but then again THD makes a 15 watter with a hot plate built in. I'd say go for it.
I personally don't see the point of needing *REAL* tube tone in your bedroom practice. I can understand using one in a recording situation, but it seems like a waste of money for just noodling around practice. Not pushing your tubes all the time will make them last longer anyway.
Hi, I'm Peter
You'll get a great "tube tone" at bedroom levels from an AC30 without an attenuator anyway, but not much natural overdrive.
"Breathe, breathe in the air
Don't be afraid to care"

Fender Strat/Tokai LS80>few pedals>Orange Rocker 30
I dont want to blow out the windows or anything. i need it for bedroom and recording and i dont want to buy 2 amps, one for recording on for playing live. natural overdrive isnt a big deal in my room so that shouldnt be a problem..

i hear i can switch the AC30 from 33 watts to 22 watts from the back is that true?

And i can get it low enough to play in my room??
Of course you can play it in your room, just turn the volume down.
I think you can change the wattage on the back, so that might help too.
"Breathe, breathe in the air
Don't be afraid to care"

Fender Strat/Tokai LS80>few pedals>Orange Rocker 30
I read somewhere class doesn't make a difference? I smell marketing scheme....
#12 of the "Ibanez SZ over RG Club!" PM ibanez4life SZ! to join!
Quote by JET116
natural overdrive isnt a big deal in my room so that shouldnt be a problem..
??

Then you don't need an attenuator. between the 22 watt mode and the master volume, you'll be fine.
yes of course i have played through an AC30. i didnt crank it. i dont need to get a huge natural overdrive from it. i just want a good tone (better than the crappy peavey transtube) for playing live, bedroom use and recording.
Quote by Cadd99
If it's class A, then aren't the tubes always driven, even at low volumes, making an attenuator useless?

It isn't a Class A,its just a really hotly biased Class A/B.
I was thinking about this the other day for a cou0pe reasons myself.

I've got one an ac15 with 2x12 if your amp has a 'Cab out' and a 'ext out' you can bypass the built in speakers and go into an attenuator from my understanding can anyone verify this?

If so then could I go go an attenuator with a built in line out so use with cab Sims?

If so this might solve your issue if you just line out to studio monitors thru a sim or something.

Thanks for any input,
Kevin
Please don't post in old threads. Make a new one if you have a question.