i broke the bar on my strat copy, anyone know a way to get it out of the block so i can put a new one in?
Member #5 of the UG Luthier's club.
member #3 of the vermont cult
Member of the Frank Zappa Fan Club. PM deadhead313313 to join"

Quote by LightningRider
T Heff, No shit I'm a n00b

Quote by Will_Minus

EDIT: t heff wins the for the best response.

Quote by carousel182
i im gonna have to agree with t heff
ouch, we need a picture
Gear:
1980 Gibson SG Standard Cherry Red
Ibanez TM-71 Talman Artcore Semi-Hollow
2003 Tom Delonge Fender Strat Seafoam Green
Traynor YCV40
The trem bar?

Well off the top of my head i have two ideas that may or may not work.

1) Take a drill with a bit used for drilling into metal. Drill into the top of the broken part, and then slowly try to revers the drill.

2) Get a metal bar thinner than the trem bar, use contact cement, or some other adheisive that works on metal and put a SMALL amount on the part of the metal bar. Put the end wit the glue into the hole with the broken peice. hold the metal bar to the broken peice and let the glue set. slowly twist the broken peice out.
^^ If the above doesn't work, you could maybe use a thin magnet and reach for the bar and screw it out....Maybe???
How about you just take something, shove it down in there real hard, and twist it in reverse (the way the bar would have to twist to pull it out) ?

No adhesive, no drill, no nothing, just apply a ****load of pressure on the object and twist.
Just redrill the hole, the drill will take out the old bar in fragments.
I'm not very active here on UG currently.
I'm a retired Supermod off to the greener pastures of the real world.
if he redrills the hole then he would have to re tap it to give him a new thread. what you need is an easy out. You drill a small hole in the centre where it snapped off. Then you use the easy out and screw it into the hole you have drilled. The way it works is that the easy out is a threaded pice of metal, looks a bit like a drill bit but has the opposite thread to what you have screwed in. When it touches the bottom of he hole and gets tight, just keep screwing and it will screw the snaped off bit out. Hope this helps and makes sense.
Quote by That_Pink_Queen
Just redrill the hole, the drill will take out the old bar in fragments.

Then you have to re-thread the hole. Then you have to find a bar that is the right size for the hole.
just a question- how the hell did that happen? i mean i've tried to break my trem bar and i couldn't. you must have biceps the size of a small car.
Blackstar HT 5
George Dennis Spitfire 2x10
LTD GL 200M
Agile Ghost III
Warmoth SSS Tele with Floyd Rose
Ibanez Artcore AM73
I <3 Arcade Fire, Rainbow, Dungen, Muse, Pink Floyd, Def Leppard, Kate Bush etc.
ROCK OPERA!!
UG Rock Opera tracks
Or your just a girl!

nah, just kidding. it might have just had a really tight trem and using too much weakened the trem until ie gave in? I dunno, maybe it was just cheap metal.

Btw, I'd do with what genocide said, just get soemthing and push down on it really hard, then screw it out, maybe even glue the object to the bit that's stuck in the trem.
I doubt genocides idea will work.

Try and drill absolutedly perfectly straight down, taking out only the center of the rod that's stuck in there. Then the rest should just fall out pretty easily...

I kind of doubt mine will either
lol thats what I did when it happened to my cheap epiphone

but uh, the other dude has the best idea, the one that involves an actual tool- thats the RIGHT way to get it, otherwise you're just kinda screwed.

I broke a trem on my Ibanez and an Epiphone. Other than that I've been good *four floyd knock offs later and I'm still going strong!*
i broke it when loosing the trem, i have yet to find a trem that is strong enough to withstand the whammying i do

Quote by LightningRider

Quote by Will_Minus

Quote by carousel182
Ah, I've never had a problem with it.

Make sure that the bar is inserted and secured ALL THE WAY in your guitar before you do all that whammying, so it doesn't bend or snap at a weaker point.
i always do that, i just whammy like u wouldn't belive, stuff like flipping the guitar aroung and using the guitars weight, or turning the bar away from the guitar, and hold onto it, and violently throw the guitar up and down holding on to the whammy bar, this is the first time i broke a bar, i usaly break a plate, spring, saddles, blocks basicly i found out the bar is the strong point on alot of trems

Quote by LightningRider

Quote by Will_Minus

Quote by carousel182
Oh so you're like a more violent Steve Vai? Gotcha.

I'm pretty extreme with the whammy at times, but I've got a gentle touch so I don't usually beat on it too hard. Just hard enough to get what I want out of it.
Sounds like you need a thicker bar...just get a huge metal rod, drilll all the way through the trem block, and then bolt it on from the top and bottom, and then take it and bend it so its a nice shape...
i also use it gentaly, but i often can manipulate the bar to make amazing non whammy sounds, and i also play it in ways that will make steve vai's whammy abuse look like gahndi

Quote by LightningRider

Quote by Will_Minus

Quote by carousel182