I know this sound like a stupid question but my cousin asked me that question and I couldn't come up with any definition.
#25 for top 100 UGer of 2009
UG's 2nd Funniest UGer and 3rd most likely to be a Serial Killer of 2009, 2nd of 2011
I think Intonation is where how perfect the notes are along the neck.

Like the octaves at the twelfth frets being perfect octaves to open strings and the fifth fret harmonics being the same as the twelfth fret harmonics.

I think thats what it is.
Sat in a lab, curing diseases. They actually LET me play with chemicals!
Quote by davidp313
your balls

oooooh

Yeah that seems like a reasonable answer.
F U C K Y O U
UG's 2nd Funniest UGer and 3rd most likely to be a Serial Killer of 2009, 2nd of 2011
Quote by Guitardude19
I think Intonation is where how perfect the notes are along the neck.

Like the octaves at the twelfth frets being perfect octaves to open strings and the fifth fret harmonics being the same as the twelfth fret harmonics.

I think thats what it is.

Okay thanks for the answer.
Quote by reb_49
I know this sounds like a stupid question but my cousin asked me that question and I couldn't come up with any definition.
The only stupid question is the one you don't ask.

Intonation is the state of an instrument's or voice's in-tune-ness. Several factors can and do affect a guitar's intonation...

• string tension
  • string diameter
  • fret height
  • accuracy of fret placement
  • pressure exerted by fretting fingers
  • picking energy
  • accuracy of the nut's notching
  • accuracy of the saddles' notching
  • accuracy of the saddles' adjustment relative to the 12th fret

A luthier could no doubt come up with several more, but I think you get the idea.
All things are difficult before they are easy.
- Dr. Thomas Fuller (British physician, 1654-1734)
Quote by Freepower
For everything you need to know - gpb0216.
for your purposes, it's basically a question of whether all the notes on the fretboard play in tune. yes, i know you just tuned your guitar and your expensive electric tuner says your strings are in tune. but your guitar must also be properly adjusted so the fretted notes play in tune as well. It's good to check to see if they are. Play a 12th fret harmonic on each string, and compare it to the fretted 12th fret (with your tuner). is the fretted note the same as the harmonic? if not, it needs intonation adjustment. hit google for some DIY tips or have a guitar tech do it (he can adjust your action nicely too if needed).
Intonation is also about the player as much as the instrument. More so on frettless instruments suich as violin, double bass, cello etc. In fact, good intonation is the hardest part of learning a stringed instrument i would say. if you hear someone say "(s)he has great intonation...." they're less likely to be talking about their instrument than they are them.
intonation can also be referring to the accuracy of bends,

...making sure that if you bend a note, it reaches the correct pitch...