i want to start recording for my own personal use and my band
i'm going to invest in a laptop, which is better mac or pc, ik mac is good for audio, and also what model
any extra hardware such as an interface
also which is the best software to use

thanks help will be appriciated
Line 6 toneport, prob the Ux2, if u need more inputs such as mic and guitar u can always get a good mixer but the Toneport is great. U need the Interface to go in between the instrument and the Computer. The toneport comes with Ableton live recording software (its a demo so u can learn on that and then maybe get a better one). It alse comes with gearbox, software of every effect and it models all different sorts of amps. other than that i recommend some good mic's like the Shure sm57. Good Luck,

Steve
Member #5 of the I <3 Schecter's Club-PM Schecter-06 to join
"Member of the Guitarists that wished they could sing because they would make fantastic frontmen club"-Pm Davidian to join
Get a Mac for sure.
Basically, this is my setup:
Apple Powerbook computer
Presonus Firebox interface
Behringer submixer(for drums)
and then a crapload of mics...
And for sofware, I like Tracktion. Try the demo at www.tracktion.com.

EDIT:
And the Toneport is completely unsuitable for band recording. Not enough inputs/the modelling feature is basically useless.
I'm not very active here on UG currently.
I'm a retired Supermod off to the greener pastures of the real world.
well, for his own personal use it will serve him great. If he needs more inputs u can always get a decent mixer.
Member #5 of the I <3 Schecter's Club-PM Schecter-06 to join
"Member of the Guitarists that wished they could sing because they would make fantastic frontmen club"-Pm Davidian to join
hey thanks alot
yea i was looking at sm57's for micing guitars amps ect, maybe vocals, but from my expieence i liked sm58's for vocals,
thanks for the tone port idea
and the power book kicks ass, my music app/theory teacher has it
thanks alot guys
^The SM58 is more of a live mic, I suggest a condensor for studio work.
I'm not very active here on UG currently.
I'm a retired Supermod off to the greener pastures of the real world.
Hey I was just wondering if it was true that the Sm57 doesn't work to well withthe Presonus Firebox? I got this rumor from this site right here.

http://www.tweakheadz.com/rigs.htm

Scroll down till you see the Firebox rig and in the description there is a note thats says there may be trouble using the sm57 mic with the firebox.