Hey everybody

im lookin to buy a new amp. im spendin around $500-$600 and ive narrowed it down to two. im either gettin a Marshall MG100DFX/MG412 Slant Cab half stack, or a Crate GT1200H/G412SL Half Stack. the marshall is $600 and the crate is $500. we will be playin stuff like Green Day/Taking Back Sunday/Foo Fighters. i need some advice.
I'm Back.

[STAY THIRSTY, MY FRIENDS]

When Autumn comes, it doesn't ask
It just walks in where it left you last
You never know when it starts
Until there's fog inside the glass around your summer heart
u shud check out the Vox Valvetronix series, they're expensive but FANTASTIC, blow the backs right off the Marshall. I admit, however, that the MG100DFX is better value for money than the Vox
whoa nelly.
(**Typical UG solid state bashing ahead***)
you don't want either of those bad boys. Get a tube combo. The MG's seriously suck. A lot. And you don't need a half stack. A) It's a pain in the ass to haul around, B) You'll get better tone and just as much volume out of a nice tube combo. I'd look into traynor and peavey, maybe fender if you like em.
1995 MIM Fender Strat
Breedlove AD25/SM Acoustic
Chandler Les Paul w/Duncan Alnico II-Pro & Pearly Gates
Little Big Muff Pi
Dunlop Crybaby
Vox AD50VT

Quote by CheeseMuffin909
Zakk Wylde.
He's like Elton John but with a guitar, more stylish clothes, and not gay.
what about a B-52 100W 4X12 Half Stack?
I'm Back.

[STAY THIRSTY, MY FRIENDS]

When Autumn comes, it doesn't ask
It just walks in where it left you last
You never know when it starts
Until there's fog inside the glass around your summer heart
Wrong forum.

The Solid State one (LG)? I'd steer clear, I've played them not a big fan of their tone. But the AT-100 is pretty good, especially for the price, new tubes and a noise gate and you're set. Great clean/hard rock tones. Don't know if you could afford that though, maybe the combo.

For those styles a Vox Valvetronix might actually work, I don't like them myself but they get a good rock sound.
clips
Gear
  • Framus Cobra Head
  • Peavey 5150 Head
  • Marshall MF280 4x12 Cab
  • PRS Custom 24 w/ 3-Way/Coil Tap
  • Ibanez RGT220A w/ EMG 85 Neck/81 Bridge
  • Rack w/ BBE 482i, Hush Super C, and Furman
I'd agree with at AT-100. It's an amazing amp.

Edit, but for what you are playing and how much you're willing to spend, I would go with a Vox Valvetronix, or a Roland Cube.
or u could not play ****ty greenday and get a nice mesaboogie rectifier

greenday = 40 yr olds singing about nothing
Metallica = best band ever, enough said

thelastdeath
Of those two, get the MG. Crates are garbage. My MG blows them out of the water.

If you like the sound of the MG, go for it. I love mine and chose it over those mediocre Vox Valvetronix amps. Most people here hate them, but there are a few (including myself) who love them.
If you like the sound of the MG, go for it. If you haven't tried either of the amps yet, TRY THEM FIRST. I can't think of anything worse than you ordering a halfstack from Musician's Friend, getting it, and hating it. Then, having to sell a kidney to get enough money to ship it back.

Try both out thoroughly and pick the one you like best. Also try the other amps suggested in this thread. Pick the one that sounds best to you.
My Gear:

Washburn WI14 Electric
Washburn D10s Acoustic
Marshall MG100HDFXR Special Edition
Marshall MG412AR Special Edition

Quote by Danno13
^Xenn is my favorite MG owner EVAR.

Quote by jj1565
^ Xenn fav MG user evar
<is waiting for Xenn to come and praise marshall MGs as gods among amps>

:EDIT: nevermind lol, check the post above.
Quote by americnidiot
why the f*** does that guy have a KFC bucket on his head?

Quote by slashnmash
its buckethead dummy!
I don't praise them as God among amps. A tube amp would blow an MG away easy. All I say is that they're decent solid state amps.

Ass hole.
My Gear:

Washburn WI14 Electric
Washburn D10s Acoustic
Marshall MG100HDFXR Special Edition
Marshall MG412AR Special Edition

Quote by Danno13
^Xenn is my favorite MG owner EVAR.

Quote by jj1565
^ Xenn fav MG user evar
Quote by Danger_Dick
u shud check out the Vox Valvetronix series, they're expensive but FANTASTIC, blow the backs right off the Marshall. I admit, however, that the MG100DFX is better value for money than the Vox

All agreed except maybe for the marshall, Cheaper yes, but would never buy it over a Vox, NEVER.
Member #5 of the I <3 Schecter's Club-PM Schecter-06 to join
"Member of the Guitarists that wished they could sing because they would make fantastic frontmen club"-Pm Davidian to join
No Behringers! They Explode!
Epiphone LP special II
-Duncan Designed pu's
Schecter c-1 Elite
-Neck:PAF Pro
-Bridge: Steve's Special
Boss MT-2 Metal Zone
Ibanez Weeping Demon wah
Peavey studio pro 112 65 watt
Ampeg 50 watt