Lead Boost Problem
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Just need some help deciding on a pedal to boost my volume during solos. I know volume pedals are out there, but do they function the same way as a volume knob? Meaning that if you roll back the volume it reduces the drive/gain. I still want a full blown heavy rhythym sound.
I play through a 5150II.
any suggestions/solutins that work well for anyone will be appreciated
you can get a boost pedal....wchich boosts the volume, then hit it again to return to normal
CO-Founder of the Geddy Lee Fanclub
PM me or RIC4003 to join

Member#15 of the RushClub
and Alex Lifesons biggest fan

Pm Maet to join

Proud Member of the Yes Club
Pm TheHeartbreaker to join
if it has an fx loop you can put an eq pedal or a booster pedal, like an MXR microamp, through there, set the level up, and bam instant boost at your foot. Putting such things in front of your amp will only increase or decrease your gain since its before the compression stage.
Ibanez -> Peavey -> Eardrums

Apparently I'm on some list of people to listen to..?
I put an ashly-sc40 preamp paremetric EQ in my FX loop and it gives a NASTY loud boost, also with a paramntric EQ (or any eq) you can tailor your lead sound to be smoother or slightly different more midrangy maybe...
Mail Goes here.

Musician for 14 years. Been inactive on UG since 2007. My have times changed. It's good to be back.
how about using a volume pedal in the FX loop? would the amp retain proper tone even if volume is reduced with pedal.
Theres two things I can think of:

1 - If your 5150 came with a footswitch which has 2 OD/Distortion channels, use the first one for main rhythmn stuff and switch to the second one when going into a solo.

2 - Get an EMG Afterburner which is just a switch which gives you a gain and volume boost. This would need to be installed into your guitar though...
~ My Gear ~

Gibson Les Paul Studio in Alpine White with EMG 81/60
Fender Stratocaster
Marshall DSL401
Boss Metal Zone MT-2
Boss Super Overdrive SD-1
Boss Noise Suppressor NS-2
Digitech RP80
Samson Wireless
Fender Champions Series 30
Just get an overdrive pedal, or an EQ if you want the option of changing your sound when you're boosting too.
For an overdrive, maybe a BOSS SD-1 or something just for a boost.
"Breathe, breathe in the air
Don't be afraid to care"

Fender Strat/Tokai LS80>few pedals>Orange Rocker 30
I use a Boss GE-7 EQ in the FX loop of my Engl for solo boosts, works great, you can give yourself more than enough volume boost and change the tone however you want, I'd give the overdrive pedal a go, although im my experience, if you add it to a tone thats already pretty distorted, it can't add any volume or tone to it
Its always happy here
how would an eq pedal work going straight into the front....

obviously my amp has no effects loop...but i'd like to get an mxr 10 band eq pedal. would it still boost and shape my sound well plugging into the front?
Quote by deg0ey
The best pickups for emo are no pickups at all...

Gear:

1996 Les Paul Classic w/ Alnico II's
Marshall Jubilee 2550
Vox V847 Wah
Assorted pedals
does the 5150II have a volume control for the effects loop, cause you could just plug a cable from the fx send to the fx return, set the volume of the fx loop high, and itd boost your volume.
Fender '82 Walnut Strat
Fender '65 Twin Reverb Reissue
Voodoo Labs Sparkle Drive
EHX English Muff'n
Boss DD-6
no there is no FX loop volume control.
I dunno about a EQ pedal, wouldn't a volume pedal work better?