Here's the deal: there's an old SG for sale near me and I want it!

But I have no idea how much I should pay for it.

Link

The link is in french but you can still look at the guitar (which looks like it's in rather good condition).

It's 100% original except for one potentiometer which is broken and was replaced, but the owner still has the original one and it can be repaired.

The seller asks 1800 (canadian) for it. Is this a good deal?

Anyway, thanks for all your answers!

PS: I may be able to have a look at it this week-end, so I'll update this!
Last edited by Freddedonna at May 29, 2006,
Gibsons in the 70s are notorious for being nothing like what "The Gibson Sound" should be. Go for lower or stay the hell away. BTW, those bigsbys are horrible.
haha
how much is 1800 canadian worth in american money? but still that guitars a beaut
Quote by Soma3009
I came up with this kick ass riff on my ukelele when I was 12. Find out two years later, it was smoke on the water. Got my hopes and dreams killed..

Quote by saintjimmy99
you used the right form of "their!" i commend you sir!

Check out for repairs, SGs are notorious for being weak at the headstock and body joint.
G&L L2500
Squier Affinity Jazz Bass 5
Ashdown RPM pre-amp
Ashdown Little Giant 1000
300 watt 15" powered cab
450 watt 15" powered sub bass cab
2x10 + horn
1x15x10 + horn
Yes, and 70s Gibsons were of lower quality build than you'd find in the 60s. Notice how all 70s Les Paul customs on ebay go for $1500-$2000 and anything from the sixties is automatically $3500+. And as stated SGs are notorious for headstock breaks, and deep cracks around the neck joint. Not to mention binding and fret problems.
clips
Gear
  • Framus Cobra Head
  • Peavey 5150 Head
  • Marshall MF280 4x12 Cab
  • PRS Custom 24 w/ 3-Way/Coil Tap
  • Ibanez RGT220A w/ EMG 85 Neck/81 Bridge
  • Rack w/ BBE 482i, Hush Super C, and Furman
Quote by latinosuperstud
hell yea thats a good deal... that guitar is worth at least ten thousand

uhhh... no
Guitars: Les paul standard faded(wcr crossroad pickups), SG special(wcr crossroads) Roadhouse strat, G&L ASAT, Mahogany Strat (P90 and SD JB)

Amps: Vox AC-15 w/celestion blue, Vox AC-4tv, Orange tiny terror head, Ampeg Reverberrocket.
Sorry for double post, but the seller just sent me a picture of the back of the headstock.

Any chance you can play it before(if) buying?
"Breathe, breathe in the air
Don't be afraid to care"

Fender Strat/Tokai LS80>few pedals>Orange Rocker 30
might just be the picture, but it looks like theres a crack goin down the headstock (right side of that last picture)
My Gear:
Agile AL-3000 Prestige
Custom Made Electric
Oscar Shmidt OE-30 w/ Bigsby
Ibanez V70cent Electric Acoustic
Carlo Robelli CW4110 Acoustic

Mesa/Boogie F-50 Combo
Boss DD-3
Boss PH-3
ask for pictures of possible weak points like the point were the head is connected to the neck. It doens'nt show in the picture above, but if you can check if it's been repaired before, and that would lower the value a great deal
Gear
Gibson Les Paul Studio
London City Comet MK1
London City Spitfire II (Modded)
Squire Tele Custom (Modded)

Peavey Classic 30
Electro Harmonix Holy Grail Reverb
Line 6 Echo Park Delay
Visual Sound Jekyll and Hyde
Dunlop Crybaby Classic
You can do better for the money.
There once was a man who really loved salt
So he tied his nose to the sea
And then God came down from his silver throne
And said, 'Honey, that water ain't free
Well the seller just e-mailed me back, and the line we see on the headstock is definatly a crack. He says it happened about 5 years after he bought the guitar and that it was repaired by a luthier at the time, but he never repainted it. He also says that the other side will probably do the same thing in a few years and that this is why I can negociate the price.
if you want an sg then go get a new one
you can probably afford a 61' reissue those are bitchin'
Quote by iloveboobs99
what im a pig bcuz i like boobs. Ok who here like boobs! just wonderin. i do

Quote by Shoestick
Never has there been a time more in need of a smiley that pops a boner.

tee hee

check this out 4 real
I don't know, thats a lot of cash and the guitar does seem to not be in the greatest condition =\
just get a regular sg, gibsons from the 70's werent the greatest, it has a crack in the headstock and for an sg its overpriced. get a 61' reissue or a standard, hell get the supreme, you have the money. in my opinion the one you want isnt not worth it
Quote by Scutchington
I like this guy, he's UG's Greek, and he just told your ass in two paragraphs. And I once spent 5 minutes watching his avatar.

A Brain Malfunction

We'll Never Admit As Defeat