Are there only modes of the major scale???

Also, when you're palying a mode, do you have to stick in the box position because if you go out of it, aren't you just playing then in another mode?
I've wondered about if every single different kind of scale had modes, then I figured that'd be way to much crap, but I really don't know. I usually play in one mode and then switch to another with a slide of something. Mark Tremonti did this thing on a Guitar World lesson where he played a like on the e and B strings thenmoved it throughout all of the modes, it was cool.

Sorry that didn't help at all.
i wonder, what is the point in the modes? why dont we just have the major scale? i mean as soon as we take a note out and add a different one in why isnt it a different scale?
"Often licked never beaten......I wish"

"liquor in the front, poker in the back"
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=26618

Quote by freemind12
i wonder, what is the point in the modes? why dont we just have the major scale? i mean as soon as we take a note out and add a different one in why isnt it a different scale?
What?
You can create modes in either major or minor scales (either way works, you'll still get the same modes), but you have to switch it around a bit.

As an example, C Major is C D E F G A B C
The starting note for each mode is:

C - Ionian
D - Dorian
E - Phrygian
F - Lydian
G - Mixolydian
A - Aeolian
B - Locrian

But, if we were playing a A Minor scale, which uses the same notes as C Major (A B C D E F G A)
The starting notes for each mode would be:

A - Aeolian
B - Locrian
C - Ionian
D - Dorian
E - Phrygian
F - Lydian
G - Mixolydian

Does that help?
Quote by Megatallica
Are there only modes of the major scale???
You ask the question as if you think there might be some sort of prohibition against using scale fragments or runs that begin and/or end anywhere other than on the tonic. You can, of course, start and/or end a run on any scale tone. Let your ear and musical taste be your guide.
Also, when you're palying a mode, do you have to stick in the box position because if you go out of it, aren't you just playing then in another mode?
I urge you to stop thinking in terms of boxes. Instead, concentrate on expanding your musical vocabulary by...

* learning the tonal makeup of every possible scale and mode...
* everywhere on your fingerboard

Yes, this is a lifetime task, but it sure beats the hell out of thinking in terms of boxes, in my opinion. Good luck.
All things are difficult before they are easy.
- Dr. Thomas Fuller (British physician, 1654-1734)
Quote by Freepower
For everything you need to know - gpb0216.
Last edited by gpb0216 at May 29, 2006,
Quote by Megatallica
You can play any note in that scale.
Quote by freemind12

Because you have to always have a tonal center. No matter what, you're always gonna have a dominant I. Now, the dominant may not be as it appears in the key signature. It just gives names to all the different scale degrees so you can use chord progressions. That was a bad explanation, but it is needed.
You said your self at the end of your post that it didnt't help at all.

So watch what you say. Póg mo thóin agus ligh mo liathróidí
Quote by freemind12

They create different types of sounds.

IE
Ionian = happy
Aeolian = Sad
Phrygian = Spanish
Locrian = Dark
Been away, am back
Every scales has modes except the chromatic or whole tone.
UG Blues Mafia
Founding Members: Forklifterer, Steve Cropper, Crzyrckgtrst28, and TNfootballfan62

Member of the Anti-Whammy-Bar-Solo Club