Poll: Was Hendrix really the best?
Poll Options
View poll results: Was Hendrix really the best?
yes
45 69%
no
20 31%
Voters: 65.
Page 1 of 2
I respect Jimi Hendrix as a guitarist but i really dont think he was THE BEST. He was just a pioneer of the time, so it looked like he was the best.
no, listen to his live stuff. it was in****ingcredible that someone like that could improvise so well, especially being high out of his mind and having no formal musical knowledge. he was all self taught.
The Gear:

Custom Strat
Mesa Boogie Stiletto Ace
Fulltone OCD
Electro Harmonix Small Clone Chorus
Dunlop Crybaby Classic
MXR EVH-117 Flanger
Fulltone Soul Bender
hendrix is WAY better than any of these new metal guitarists. He made sounds with the guitar that could never be duplicated in a million years.
'course hendrix was good. He was the best of his time, especially with what Trapman said, but compared to people like Vai and Satch, i don't think he's the best.

EDIT: the poll just appeared. I voted Yes because he WAS the best, but is no longer. Now i think he's just the most influential.
You can't compare the 60's with the 00's idiot. Everything is evoling. Is todays football better than the football of the 60's? Sure as hell, but still Pele is accepted as the best ever. Why can't this be in music too.
He was the best and it won't be another Hendrix. End of story...
mate it's such a personal preference thing.

i mean for me listening to jimi made me want to learn the electric guitar. when i look in the mirror with my strat (to replicate hendrix tones/styles) i try and replicate some classic hendrix moves as lots of peope do. when im in a rut or want to get inspired i go to my hendrix cds/dvds so to me he is the best for those reasons.

yngwie malmsteen or santana for arguments sake don't do that for me even though i respect that they're both very good.

i don't and i don't think that many judge hendrix or any other guitarists on circumstantial things but mainly on their personal connections with that person meaning that your second statement isn't really true for most people.
i agree with the guy who started this thread hendrix was an amazing guitarist FOR HIS TIME THO, compared to guitarist now.....he falls kinda short.........
He had enormous soul and vitality in his playing; if that's important to you then he was the best or close to it. If theory and technique is more important to you, then somebody else has to be your guy.
idiot, read post above you...
And why does this ****in thread comes up every week?
Is it important to know?
How do you define best and how do I define best?
It's just opinion. And I stated my opinion above.
And IMO it's just sad if someone says Yngwie Malmsteen now... Dunno why though.
Ya he was the best, he influenced a generation of guitar players and arguably no other guitar player has had the impact on the instrument that he had. Someone else mentioned listening to his live stuff, it certainly is incredible, I have a few of his DVD's too, and watching those are incredible. He just appeared to have an overall mastery of the guitar, in all aspects.
School children washing cars for charity, is there anything more arousing?
he really was an awesome guitarist, and there has never been anybody like him, and probably never will...

he was probably the best guitarist at the time, but i agree that people like satch and vai, and many more people are better than he was, but there is no denying that he was an incredible guitarist..

im not a big fan of his songs, just not really my thing, but some of his songs are really awesome, and his guitar playing in all of his songs is amazing
Yeah he was good, I'm just sick of every interview in Guitar World consisting of some guy saying "H3nd|2i>< i5 G0d!!1!! 14\/\/1!1!!!!". Jeez, there are soo many better guitarists than Hendrix.
Here's what the critics are saying about Hanzi_G:

Quote by SteveHouse
Hanzi_G = god damned prophet.

SIG ME GODDAMMIT
Quote by Hanzi_G
Yeah he was good, I'm just sick of every interview in Guitar World consisting of some guy saying "H3nd|2i>< i5 G0d!!1!! 14\/\/1!1!!!!". Jeez, there are soo many better guitarists than Hendrix.

soo many? can you name a few?
While I will respect Hendrix, I must say, he wasn't a particularly fantastic guitarist even for his time. One must remember, that at the same time as Hendrix, a new wave of fusion virtuosi were also breaking the scene on a much smaller scale. Hendrix may have evolved rock and blues, but these guys basically invented a whole new genre, which is not comfortably comparable with any other genre of music. The same guitarists have barely been surpassed as goes technique or improvisational skill in thirtyfive years.

In a jam seesion with ANY of these guys, Hendrix would be shown to be what he was, an unknowledgeable and uncapable musician. That is of course if anybody could even hear what he was playing, his live tone is drowned in unwanted noise and slop.

I can respect his influence and the fact that many people on here like his music, but as objectively as I can put it, he was not the most revolutionary, most inventive or best guitarist of all time.
My name is Tom, feel free to use it.
BETTER guitarist now like who the guy from rhcp? I dont think so. will someone tell me what bands these "new" guitarists of today are in.
Quote by Prophet of Page
One must remember, that at the same time as Hendrix, a new wave of fusion virtuosi were also breaking the scene on a much smaller scale. Hendrix may have evolved rock and blues, but these guys basically invented a whole new genre, which is not comfortably comparable with any other genre of music. The same guitarists have barely been surpassed as goes technique or improvisational skill in thirtyfive years.

In a jam seesion with ANY of these guys, Hendrix would be shown to be what he was, an unknowledgeable and uncapable musician.
not trying to be argumentative, but can you elaborate as to whom these guitarists were? as iam genuinely interested. As for calling Hendrix unknowledgable and uncapable, I'm going to have to say you have no idea what you're talking about.
Quote by Vedder
soo many? can you name a few?

Allan Holdsworth, Greg Howe, Paco DeLucia, Al Di Meola, Eric Johnson, Frank Gambale, Guthrie Govan, Richie Kotzen, Tony MacAlpine, John MgLoughlin, Alan Murphy, Paul Gilbert, Steve Vai, John Petrucci, Paco Pena, Manuel Barraco, Steve Morse, Steve Howe, Antonio Forcione, Joe Satriani, Neil Zaza, Vinnie Moore, Shawn Lane, Brett Garsed, Marty Friedman, Andy Timmons, Mike Kinneally, Pat Methany, John Scofield, Joe Pass just to name a few.
not really.
Quote by trev913
RHCPhysco for the win.

Quote by rmr024
poop? i put it in a blender from time to time

Member of the We Have Better Taste Than You club
PM DorkusMalorkus with a list of your favorite bands to join.
Quote by Vedder
not trying to be argumentative, but can you elaborate as to whom these guitarists were? as iam genuinely interested. As for calling Hendrix unknowledgable and uncapable, I'm going to have to say you have no idea what you're talking about.

Sorry, but I actually do know what I'm talking about. Check out Allan Holdsworth, John MgLoughlin and Al Di Meola.

Compared to those guys, Hendrix was unknowedgeable and uncapable.
Quote by Prophet of Page
Allan Holdsworth, Greg Howe, Paco DeLucia, Al Di Meola, Eric Johnson, Frank Gambale, Guthrie Govan, Richie Kotzen, Tony MacAlpine, John MgLoughlin, Alan Murphy, Paul Gilbert, Steve Vai, John Petrucci, Paco Pena, Manuel Barraco, Steve Morse, Steve Howe, Antonio Forcione, Joe Satriani, Neil Zaza, Vinnie Moore, Shawn Lane, Brett Garsed, Marty Friedman, Andy Timmons, Mike Kinneally, Pat Methany, John Scofield, Joe Pass just to name a few.

none of those are even close to household names, none have had the influence that hendrix had, as for Petrucci, mock me if you will, but in my opinion he is fast, thats it, no soul, no creativity, no originality, a very one-dimensional guitar player, but thats my opinion. Granted I have never heard of most of the others work, so I cannot effectively argue there, only that they have not had the widespread influence of Hendrix.
Quote by Vedder
none of those are even close to household names, none have had the influence that hendrix had, as for Petrucci, mock me if you will, but in my opinion he is fast, thats it, no soul, no creativity, no originality, a very one-dimensional guitar player, but thats my opinion. Granted I have never heard of most of the others work, so I cannot effectively argue there, only that they have not had the widespread influence of Hendrix.

Now you're confusing soul with skill.

Just because you can pour a thunder storm's worth of emotion into a single solo, doesn't mean you're skilled. I'm sorry (wait... no i'm not), but Petrucci slaughters Hendrix in guitar. Retreating into emotion as a cover for subpar playing is quite frankly, pathetic.

And that's as far as I go into the subject.
I think he was the greatest ever because he could write a great song and put awesome melodies and riffs behind them, plus there is no one past or present that could solo like him. His solos and all his guitar work were so unique. Yeah, there are shredders and virtuosos around today and everything, but they aren't noticed for the songs they write so much as their talent. I love watching Yngwie fly through the E harmonic minor, but I still feel that he and other ultra-talented guitarists aren't able to write and acomplish what Hendrix did.
Quote by Vedder

Are you trying to say that the more popular you are, the higher your skill level?
Quote by Vedder

I won't mock you, but I'd be curious to know what you have heard by Petrucci. I can accept you saying he leaves you emotionally sterile, that is fine, "soul" is subjective. But saying he lacks creativity and originality, being confined to one dimension, sorry, thats not the Petrucci I know.

Whether you will ever see any of these players as being better than Hendrix, do check them all out, you're the only one missing out if you don't.

The question was "was Hendrix that good?", not "is Hendrix the most influential?" or some such. I'm referring only to the level of creativity, variation, technical and musical competence of his work.

Keep in mind, if you google search those guys for vids or the like, you may get clips from excercise videos. I would expect you all to have the common sense to realise that an excercise video is a measure of an artists technique, not his musicianship. Listen to them by all means, just don't form your oppinion off of them, they are not stressing the music, they're stressing technique.
Quote by Maet

Just because you can pour a thunder storm's worth of emotion into a single solo, doesn't mean you're skilled. I'm sorry (wait... no i'm not), but Petrucci slaughters Hendrix in guitar. Retreating into emotion as a cover for subpar playing is quite frankly, pathetic.

And that's as far as I go into the subject.

I mentioned soul as one aspect, thats not my entire argument, Petrucci is faster than Hendrix, yes, but thats only one aspect of a guitar player.
Quote by Vedder
I mentioned soul as one aspect, thats not my entire argument, Petrucci is faster than Hendrix, yes, but thats only one aspect of a guitar player.

And evidently, the only aspect of Petrucci's you take into consideration. (dammit, now I went back on my word...)
Quote by Prophet of Page
I won't mock you, but I'd be curious to know what you have heard by Petrucci. I can accept you saying he leaves you emotionally sterile, that is fine, "soul" is subjective. But saying he lacks creativity and originality, being confined to one dimension, sorry, thats not the Petrucci I know.

Whether you will ever see any of these players as being better than Hendrix, do check them all out, you're the only one missing out if you don't.

The question was "was Hendrix that good?", not "is Hendrix the most influential?" or some such. I'm referring only to the level of creativity, variation, technical and musical competence of his work.

Keep in mind, if you google search those guys for vids or the like, you may get clips from excercise videos. I would expect you all to have the common sense to realise that an excercise video is a measure of an artists technique, not his musicianship. Listen to them by all means, just don't form your oppinion off of them, they are not stressing the music, they're stressing technique.

Im not sure what it was by Petrucci, it was posted on this site in a thread so i checked it out, I did check out some stuff by Holdsworth and Di Meola, ya they are amazing, but different styles, hard to compare, and i wasn't blown away by them the same why I am by Hendrix.
You know what, as childish as an arguement as this is, props to Vedder. Seriously. You're like, one of a few people on this forum that can actually hold their own in are arguement without resorting to childish name-calling.

Quote by Vedder
Im not sure what it was by Petrucci, it was posted on this site in a thread so i checked it out, I did check out some stuff by Holdsworth and Di Meola, ya they are amazing, but different styles, hard to compare, and i wasn't blown away by them the same why I am by Hendrix.

Hard to compare? Its damn near impossible to compare.
Petrucci is fast...Hendrix was also pretty fast, but that isn't all about the guitar. Of course you see these people on YouTube playing 20 nps but are they really catching your ear? That new band Dragonforce or whoever....total blah, yeah he's fast but the music is so irritating.
Quote by Vedder

Totally, he does suck balls. So does dream theatre. Is their singer a girl or something?
Quote by distilledspirit
Petrucci is fast...Hendrix was also pretty fast, but that isn't all about the guitar. Of course you see these people on YouTube playing 20 nps but are they really catching your ear? That new band Dragonforce or whoever....total blah, yeah he's fast but the music is so irritating.

Dragonforce has a fast guitarist, but they sound like they made the themes for those stupid 80s ski movies.
Hendrix was not an amazingly awesome guitarist, but he was a great musician. That's my opinion.
Quote by shark38j
You need a Flux Capacitor ........ Oh, wait, that's for time travel.

Quote by GiantRaven
Watch this one lads, I think he has intelligence!

Quote by unplugtheradio
or maybe he has an opinion *GASP*
Quote by Maet

Over the years Jimi H. has been adopted as a sort of guitarist of the people - a wide variety of folks hear and like what he plays because it moves them somehow. He left an impressive catalog of real good songs too. In a forum like this maybe he should be put in proper perspective as a guy who had a lot of charisma and an "it" quality, and who maybe lacked the technique and skill that a few other players have. But I take issue with theory guys bashing him for his lack of technical skill as if that's all a good musician requires. Skillful playing without emotion is subpar for me.

Call me "pathetic", but I'd rather touch alot of people with my music then impress a minority of guitar snobs.
was hendrix that great....i think so but thats for you to decide.

but go to youtube.com and type in woodstock...watch his live performances of fire, purple haze, and voodoo child...and then tell me he doesn't rip all these new age shredders a new one...i don't care if he didn't know theory or not...or if his technique isn't good...

the man played with soul...and thats why i'll always respect him as one of the best ever. he certainly touched me personally and hes done the same for millions of others...thats something most guitarists can't say.
Quote by deg0ey
The best pickups for emo are no pickups at all...

Gear:

1996 Les Paul Classic w/ Alnico II's
Marshall Jubilee 2550
Vox V847 Wah
Assorted pedals
Quote by Bloozy
Skillful playing without emotion is subpar for me.

But then at that, you must accept that emotion is subjective. You may have no attachment to Holdsworth playing some impossible lick, but I do. Hendrix however, a player without much skill, leaves me cold. It does nothing for me. The only reason I push theory is not because it's a necessity, but because its a tool that broadens your options creatively. How many of you would disagreee that Hendrix would have been better with theoretical and technical competence?
imo nobody can play like jimi hendrix, sure some people can play better but how he played nobody can ...
Imo it all comes down to genres. In his specific genre (blues rock/ classic rock) Hendrix was pretty much untouchable. Say what you will but imo if you got Petrucci to try and write a classic rock song complete with improvised solo it would either sound crap or turn out to be a rip off of an already famous song. Similarly if Hendrix was still alive if you were to try to get him to write a prog metal song it would probably sound dire, he may not even know what the genre was. However Hendrix is arguably the greatest guitarist of his genre ever. In a similar way Allan Holdsworth may be one of the greatest jazz/fusion guitarists ever. But that doesn't mean he's better. And also its worthwhile considering that Hendrix/Clapton/Page used to play the guitar for hours and hours a day. And while Petrucci may have been playing 1,2,3,4 across all the strings what were Hendrix et al doing? Chances are they were probably improvising etc. In the end it all comes down to what you practise rather than how often you practise.
Do the pelvic thrust when playing wild thing like he did. Makes you go "ooooooh yeeaaaaah"

And to was hendrix really that good .... that shouldnt even be a question

Solos like the ones on bold as love, voodoo chile, lill wing... sometime feels like god is playing with his guitar considering no human inspiration could mix those sounds and come out with something so blissfull.
Last edited by Muaddib at May 30, 2006,
Page 1 of 2