whats better epiphone les paul standard or les paul custom...

is there any differences? sound? delicatness? heavyness?

or is it just the looks
Main quips
Marshall MG100DFX
Squier Affinity
Digitech RP200A
Givson acoustic copy

elo ther.
Identicle aside from cosmetics. Look into the new Epi LP Standard Plain Top. It will sound closer to a real LP than the regular Standard.
My Gear:

Washburn WI14 Electric
Washburn D10s Acoustic
Marshall MG100HDFXR Special Edition
Marshall MG412AR Special Edition

Quote by Danno13
^Xenn is my favorite MG owner EVAR.

Quote by jj1565
^ Xenn fav MG user evar
take the custom cuz its comes with grover tuners, better pickups and is really close in sound to a gibson then the epi lp standard. i went through the same thing the custom is te way to go
Actually, the standard has a body of mahogny with a slab of alder in it, while the custom has a pure mahogny body. Pure mahogny is the better choice in case you were wondering. Also, the custom looks more exclusive with the gold hardware, and the pick ups are different i think. The binding on the body offers extra protection. I tire of the people saying that body binding is purely comsmetic, its not.

Edit: yeah, and the tuner knobs are way better. Overall, the custom just offers you more guitar for the money.
^Bull. BOTH have grovers. Both also have the same pickups. Like I said, they are identicle in all aspects aside from looks.

And no matter what, the Standard Plain Top will be closer to a Gibson because it is built with mahogany and a maple top-not an alder/mahogany body with flame maple veneer Epi LP standard) or alder/mahogany body and alder/mahogany top (epi lp custom).

Edit; The Custom is indeed the same alder/mahogany sandwich that the regular standard is. Check the Epi website if you don't believe me.

Also, binding is cosmetic. It doesn't give the guitar any extra protection. Either you dent the binding or you dent the wood. Either way it's a dent that won't go away and won't affect the sound of the guitar.
My Gear:

Washburn WI14 Electric
Washburn D10s Acoustic

Quote by Danno13

Quote by jj1565
^ Xenn fav MG user evar
Last edited by Xenn99 at May 29, 2006,
Can you get it inside your head that body binding offers better protection. And its NOT the same pickups. Just see the epiphone web site. Granted, the plain top doesn't have the slab of alder in it, but the customs still the better guitar.

Edit: The binding protects against serious injuries affecting tone. I've asked several guitarstore owners about this, including both my guitar teachers. The binding offesr protection.

Edit2: It says pure mahogny at musiciansfriend, so they probably carry epiphones from another plant than the standard korea ones. I don't have no slab of alder in mine anyway.
Last edited by guitarforever<3 at May 29, 2006,
lp's have those big fat necks right,im not much into those. i guess they take some getting used to.
Guitarforever, for the $220 difference, the binding isn't worth it. It's BS that it will protect from some kind of guitar destroying accident. It may prevent some small dents, but other than that it's not going to do a whole lot. Common sense *should* tell you that.

The Epiphone site is more likely to be correct on a product THEY MAKE than some store trying to make a sale. Just because Musician's Friend says it has a mahogany body doesn't mean it does. The Epi site says Alder/Mahogany with an Alder/Mahogany top. If you got some kind of fluke one, good for you. Most likely though, Herschel here won't be as lucky.

As for your Custom, I kind of doubt that it has a solid mahogany body, but hey, nothing's impossible. You could just be EXTREMELY lucky. If it sounds good to you though, who cares?

herschel, I recommend that you go to an Epi dealer, sit down and try as many Epi LP Standards, Standard Plain Tops, and Customs as possible. Pick the one that sounds best to you.

Edit: Also, no, Epi's don't have big fat necks. Their necks are based on the Gibson 60's slim taper necks. They're REALLY comfortable in my opinion.
My Gear:

Washburn WI14 Electric
Washburn D10s Acoustic

Quote by Danno13

Quote by jj1565
^ Xenn fav MG user evar
Binding protects the body

better pups

no alder in the body. The epiphone site is bull****.

musiciansfriend is genreally very honest.

I dont want any replies to this inciting further discussion, coz im not interested in one. Take my word for it or don't. You choice.
^Yes, binding will add protection, but anything that could seriously damage your guitar is going to go right through binding. It's not worth an extra $220. With that $220 you can go buy a premium flight case that will protect the guitar better. And still have money left over for a nice leather strap.

I can't find anything that says the pups are better. I was told that the Epi Standards, Standard Plain Tops, Studios and Customs all have identical pickups.

If Epiphone could find a way to show on their website that the Custom is all mahogany, they would. It isn't though, so they can't. Mahogany is much better than alder/mahogany. It would make more peopel buy the Custom over the Standard if it was made out of mahogany. Like I said, if they could say it's all mahogany legally, they would.

I agree that MF is honest, but they do make mistakes. When the Gibson SG Junior first got listed on MF it said that it came with a Gibson Hardshell SG case. The pictures, however, showed a Gigbag-the usual case for Gibson's under $750. It took them about a month to fix it. And that would have been with people complaining that they only got a gigbag with their new SG Jr. instead of the hardcase it was supposed to come with.

See my point? I trust that the Epiphone site is correct because they actually make the guitar. While Musician's Friend makes occasional mistakes and could have just forgotten to type "alder/."

I do however believe that you got a rare "cherry" Epi LP Custom. I don't really doubt that it's all mahogany. There have been cases of Epi LP standards being all mahogany or all alder before, so I'm sure the Custom has had the same.
My Gear:

Washburn WI14 Electric
Washburn D10s Acoustic

Quote by Danno13

Quote by jj1565
^ Xenn fav MG user evar
Xenn99, I like you. You know what you're talking about.

Quote by guitarforever<3
Binding protects the body

better pups

no alder in the body. The epiphone site is bull****.

musiciansfriend is genreally very honest.

I dont want any replies to this inciting further discussion, coz im not interested in one. Take my word for it or don't. You choice.

Wow. You really don't know what you're talking about.

The pups are not different. If they are, they're not better. The Custom DOES have alder in the body. It has a Mahogany/Alder body, AND a mahogany/alder top.

You are a complete idiot if you believe Musiciansfriend and not the official Epi website. Yes, MF is generally very honest, BUT they are wrong sometimes. The Custom IS NOT all mahogany.

My idea, get the Epiphone Les Paul Plain-Top. It has no alder, and a full mahogany body... and it's way cheaper than the custom. The custom is a waste of money.

Tone and quality should always be more important that looks.
^Thank you Ignite. Sigged.

My Gear:

Washburn WI14 Electric
Washburn D10s Acoustic

Quote by Danno13

Quote by jj1565
^ Xenn fav MG user evar
so if you had a choice what would anyone buy for any reason
Main quips
Marshall MG100DFX
Squier Affinity
Digitech RP200A
Givson acoustic copy

elo ther.
I am buying an Epi LP Standard Plain top in a few weeks. I picked it over the regular standard and custom because it will sound much better overall. It has a mahogany body, not a mahogany/alder laminate. It also has a plain maple top instead of a flame maple veneer. Everything else is identicle. It has Grover tuners just like the regular standard and the custom, it has the same pickups, and it looks the same, just has much better wood. It will sound more like a Gibson Les Paul than any other non-Elitist Epiphone.
My Gear:

Washburn WI14 Electric
Washburn D10s Acoustic

Quote by Danno13

Quote by jj1565
^ Xenn fav MG user evar
is soloing hard on it because of its fat neck...cause i'm a lead guitarist so i need to solo alot is that why slash has the mockingbird lol cause i want speed and soloing the most as well as strumming punk like
Main quips
Marshall MG100DFX
Squier Affinity
Digitech RP200A
Givson acoustic copy

elo ther.
You'll not want a les paul unless you're prepared to adjust to the uncomfortable neck join. To put its this way, the neck being a little fatter won't be the biggest obstacle in your soloing.

I'd save up some more money for an epiphone elitist though. They're not so much more money.

And to xenn: Not all epis have grover tuners, in fact, only the ones from the tzech republic have those, and the plant over there had to be closed down, so no more epi's with grovers, except maybe the elitist (Dunno about the tuners).

You were right about the binding however, so very sorry about that. I had misunderstood what they'd told me. I beg forgiveness Also, the tzech made epis didn't come with alder, not even the standard ones.

The plain top seems pretty nice, though, seeing as how it doesn't come with the alder slab which might come to annoy you in the future.
Last edited by guitarforever<3 at May 30, 2006,
if i change the pickups on an epi standard to the tremonti's how much do you think it will be
Main quips
Marshall MG100DFX
Squier Affinity
Digitech RP200A
Givson acoustic copy

elo ther.
although the stats for them are the same, my custom always feels much better that any standards ive played, maybe i just got lucky but theres just something about the custom for me that feels more playable
My Musical attempts

My youtube music channel

Quote by TOMMYB22
Dammit, beaten to it, and by someone with the same name

CURSE YOU TOMMYT!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote by daeqwon10000
I hate tommyt and the high horse which he rides upon
Eh...soloing will take some getting used to if you use the higher frets heavily.

As for the pups, if you get the Standard plain top, even with the pup swap it should be cheaper than the LP Custom.
My Gear:

Washburn WI14 Electric
Washburn D10s Acoustic

Quote by Danno13

Quote by jj1565
^ Xenn fav MG user evar
Quote by herschel
is that why slash has the mockingbird

No, as far as I'm aware he just bought it because it looked cool and BC Rich paid him to endorse them.

I have videos of him soloing pretty damn fast on his Les Pauls, man.
Ah no problem Guitarforever. I'd listen to my guitar teacher over most of the people on here too.

The plain top does look great. With a few upgrades I bet it would sound amazing.

As for the Grovers, I'm guessing that's hit or miss. Some have them, some don't. Either way, even with adding in some nice Grovers the guitar is still a good deal. A set of Grovers and some nice pickups and you've got an amazing guitar for under $600.
My Gear:

Washburn WI14 Electric
Washburn D10s Acoustic

Quote by Danno13

Quote by jj1565
^ Xenn fav MG user evar
Don't forget the tune-o-matic bridge. And the pups would cost you at least 200 if you want something decent.

So with only the pups, guitar and the grovers, it'd be 650. Then you have a great guitar for a low price.

Edit: And add another 50-100 for the bridge. if you want one.
Quote by guitarforever<3

And to xenn: Not all epis have grover tuners, in fact, only the ones from the tzech republic have those, and the plant over there had to be closed down, so no more epi's with grovers, except maybe the elitist (Dunno about the tuners).

My friend has a korean G400; with grover tuners.
what guitar has slash got (without the scratch plate)
Main quips
Marshall MG100DFX
Squier Affinity
Digitech RP200A
Givson acoustic copy

elo ther.
A Gibson...

Actually, his "famous" ones, from the videos, are custom-made by some guy who died shortly afterward.
Quote by mr_hankey
My friend has a korean G400; with grover tuners.

How do you know he has the stock tuners still? And there are always freak of natures. Like you can find a gibson les paul classic with an AAA figured maple top, so you can find koereans with grovers, if thats the case of your friend. I dont know. I've never seens an epiphone with grovers except me and my guitar teachers tzech epi's
Herschel, I'm going to give you one piece of advice here; Don't buy a guitar just because your guitar hero uses it. Most likely the guitar they used was modded or customized. You also have to remember that companies pay artists to use their gear. Just because some musician uses a certain guitar for one live performance, it doesn't mean that's what they used to actually record their music. Also, it's always best to make your own sound rather than imitate someone else's.

As for the Grovers on the Epi's, I believe the newer Epi's have Grovers stock. I'll check around and see if I can find any info on the odds of getting an Epi with Grovers. I doubt what factory puts them out has anything to do with it.
My Gear:

Washburn WI14 Electric
Washburn D10s Acoustic

Quote by Danno13

Quote by jj1565
^ Xenn fav MG user evar