Gibson I would say is higher quality. Most people that getting Epiphones usually end up swapping the pups in them eventually. Not because they are defective, just some of them aren't as high of quality as you might find in a Gibson, correct me if i'm wrong.
epiphone uses cheaper materials, especially in their hardware. But they put out amazing value. If you are on a budget get their Les Paul.
top axes:
Taylor GS8
Fender American Strat (w/DiMarzio pickups)
Epiphone Les Paul
besides what noah said, even tho the bodies are both mahogany, Epiphone uses sheets of it instead of full blocks like Gibson does...so the sound isnt as good
My Gear:

82 Gibson Explorer
Ibanez '03 JEM7VWH

Greg Byers '01 Classical (Euro Spruce bent top)
Darren Hippner 8 String Classical (Engelmann Spruce)
Alhambra 4P
Taylor 614ce
Framus Texan se. # 5/196

Diezel Herbert 2007
Mesa Recto 2x12
Umm lets see here....rocket science...

Gibson doesn't have the same name as Epiphone...EUREKA!!!
Um.
For majority of it, you're paying for the Gibson name.
But, there are some quality differences.
Gibsons are handbuilt with wicked precision, and have slightly better materials.

I'd recommend the Epi. More affordable. If you have the cash, maybe look into the Epi Elitist series.
Spiral Out
Epi's owned by Gibson because they were in competition years ago, and the owner of Epiphone died, and shortly after that so did his brother and then Gibson managed to buy it. Now Epiphone is a subsidiary of Gibson, which means Gibson uses the better parts and labor etc. in Gibson and the slightly lower end parts in the Epi's.
It seems that most UG'ers think that both Epiphone and Gibson are crap.

Quote by thepagesaretorn
besides what noah said, even tho the bodies are both mahogany, Epiphone uses sheets of it instead of full blocks like Gibson does...so the sound isnt as good

wrong. Epi's (below the Elitists) have a mahogany/alder sandwhich body.
epi is NOT owned by gibson, they are business partners.

i have my sources
Epiphone LP special II
-Duncan Designed pu's
Schecter c-1 Elite
-Neck:PAF Pro
-Bridge: Steve's Special
Boss MT-2 Metal Zone
Ibanez Weeping Demon wah
Peavey studio pro 112 65 watt
Ampeg 50 watt
and! gibson isnt all its cracked up to be. once at my local store they received a gibson LP supreme with abosolutely no wires or electronics in it. shows how much they care about the customer.

75% of the cost is for the letters in G . I . B. S. O. N
Epiphone LP special II
-Duncan Designed pu's
Schecter c-1 Elite
-Neck:PAF Pro
-Bridge: Steve's Special
Boss MT-2 Metal Zone
Ibanez Weeping Demon wah
Peavey studio pro 112 65 watt
Ampeg 50 watt
Quote by Ignite
It seems that most UG'ers think that both Epiphone and Gibson are crap.

wrong. Epi's (below the Elitists) have a mahogany/alder sandwhich body.

So so so so true

Lol I hear it every day I come here lol
Quote by rps13fanatic
I know Fallout Boy does alot of stuff on stage, but sound good is not one of them.
OK! Time to set the record straight here.

Regular Epi's (aside from the new Epi LP Standard Plain Top) won't sound a whole lot like regular Gibson LP's because they use a mahogany/alder body. It's not a horrible thing, but it takes away from the tone of the guitar. The Epi Lp Standard Plain top solves that problem though by having a solid mahogany body with a plain maple top on it. It will sound closer to a Gibson Les Paul than any other regular Epi.

Elitist Epi's on the other hand are nearly identicle to Gibson's. Both use high quality components. The pickups in the Gibson LP Standard are identicle to those found in the Epi Elitists, although the Epi Elitist's pups go by a different name for legal purposes. The only real differences are that the Epi Elitists are assembled in Japan, then sent to the USA for hardware installation and a professional setup, and the headstock is different. That's really all there is.

I would highly recommend the Epi LP Standard Plain top if you're on a budget, or an Epi LP Elitist if you have around $900-$1000. Gibson's just aren't worth the price tag. You're paying so much extra for that Gibson name when you can get the same guitar for less than half the price. Also, a lot of the people here on UG have had some issues with Gibson's quality control. I haven't heard a word about Epiphone's slipping in quality.
My Gear:

Washburn WI14 Electric
Washburn D10s Acoustic
Marshall MG100HDFXR Special Edition
Marshall MG412AR Special Edition

Quote by Danno13
^Xenn is my favorite MG owner EVAR.

Quote by jj1565
^ Xenn fav MG user evar
whts the difference in the pickups that are in the standard, classic and plain top?
Quote by Soma3009
I came up with this kick ass riff on my ukelele when I was 12. Find out two years later, it was smoke on the water. Got my hopes and dreams killed..

Quote by saintjimmy99
you used the right form of "their!" i commend you sir!