Hi. I'm looking for a new amp, and recently found this one by Marshall, MG30DFX, which seems good. A friend of mine has one and it gives you a good tone, but checking the reviews i've found good and terrible comments about this amp. I'd like to know what you think/know about it. Is it really bad? I mainly play Santana, U2 and Satriani. Would it be good for it? I've also read some very good comments about the 15 W version, but would like to jump from 15 to 30 W. That's why this amp calls my attention. Price range: $1.00 to $300.00.
Woza Mandele

Hello, Hello!!
Hola!!!

I'm at a place called VERTIGO!!
¿Dónde está?

CHIVAS for champion
Last edited by JC Rea at May 29, 2006,
I have an MG50DFX and love it. A lot of people here hate MG's though. They're good solid state amps in my opinion.

Before you buy it be sure to try out other amps in the same price range. If you still like the MG best, go for it. Also be sure to sit down and try it thoroughly first.

Also, i'd recommend the 50w if you plan on playing in a band, although the 30w would be fine for jusr practicing alone or jamming with other guitarists. You'd probably need the 50w if you play with a drummer though.
My Gear:

Washburn WI14 Electric
Washburn D10s Acoustic
Marshall MG100HDFXR Special Edition
Marshall MG412AR Special Edition

Quote by Danno13
^Xenn is my favorite MG owner EVAR.

Quote by jj1565
^ Xenn fav MG user evar
Quote by Air Guitarist!
marshall mg series = big no no

Yeah... that...

I naively bought a MG 250 DFX and have been regretting it for the past 6 months. Look around more and you will see that there are better amps. MGs aren't TERRIBLE but they are a ripoff for the price you pay.
Member #52 of Alter Bridge Fan Club (pm logz to join)

Member #3 of the Eggnog > Humanity club (pm Scourge441 to join)
Quote by Xenn99
I have an MG50DFX and love it. A lot of people here hate MG's though. They're good solid state amps in my opinion.

Before you buy it be sure to try out other amps in the same price range. If you still like the MG best, go for it. Also be sure to sit down and try it thoroughly first.

Also, i'd recommend the 50w if you plan on playing in a band, although the 30w would be fine for jusr practicing alone or jamming with other guitarists. You'd probably need the 50w if you play with a drummer though.

Thanks dude!!
Woza Mandele

Hello, Hello!!
Hola!!!

I'm at a place called VERTIGO!!
¿Dónde está?

CHIVAS for champion
^not really, my crate rfx15 can play over a drummer, prolly not good for a gig situation but for our band practice its good
i use a 15mgdfx in my bedroom and a 50mgdfx in my garage and they both work really well. i would, however, suggest a different setup should you be seeking band-type gear. I agree with Xenn though, try out different brands before you commit.
What's your price range?

^The MG30DFX is around $250 I believe. I'm sure with a bit of haggling he could get it for ~$200.

Remember though-don't just run out and buy the MG because I say it's good. Go try other amps in your price range first. Pick what sounds best to you then start working a deal with the salesperson.
My Gear:

Washburn WI14 Electric
Washburn D10s Acoustic

Quote by Danno13

Quote by jj1565
^ Xenn fav MG user evar
Don't buy the MG30, please. The electronics are VERY unreliable. I have to fight with mine everytime I want it to produce some sound.
I have a MG50DFX and its very good, but I know someone who has the 250DFX and I tryed it, its not as loud, and they have been known to have cooling fan problems. But i recommend the 50.
Quote by CustomCustom
Cube60 if you cant afford a Peavey XXX combo

gahh, i dont like the tone my (M)G50 gives out at all.

and for U2??? no way, get a VOX. AD series, ull need the cleans.

im a big cube fan too, but they are for more of a high gain sound.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
not a fan of modellers myself but a vox could be good for what you want... if you save a bit more you could get a peavey valveking...also take a look at crates maybe the rfx's
i have an mg30dfx and its good for some types of music, classic rock, metal, alternative, punk, and blues if you are going for distorted blues like cream. if you want to play things sounding more like bb king blues, i'd reccomend something else.
^What?

Wait, do you have ears?
GEAR:
Fender USA Lefty Telecaster
Custom HSS Lefty Strat
Samick Hollow-body
BOSS DS-1
BOSS SD-1
BOSS CE-4
BOSS DD-6
USA Big Muff PI
Peavey MACE 160w Head
Peavey MACE 410 Cabinet
Yamaha FG-450S-L
Eleca DAG3LN Lefty Acoustic
try out some modelling amps as well such as the roland cube, vox valvetronix and tech 21 trademark. out of all of those though, the tech 21 has the best tone.
malmsteen on jerry c "you are a rising force"
I have NEVER gotten an MG to sound good. NEVER. Tons of people have them, and I always try to approach them with an open mind. No matter what settings, what guitar, what person is playing, to me, they sound like lifeless tone-free crap.

Do yourself a favor and look into the Vox Valvetronix series or the Roland Cube series. They are much more versatile, actually sound half-way decent (they are still solid-state, though), and are much better for the money.
Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
^Really? My MG sounds fine. I've gotten any tone I want from it so far. Anywhere from warm, smooth cleans, to sharp biting distortion, to heavy metal distortion. I haven't found a sound that it can't handle yet.

I've tried a lot of sounds and it's handled them all quite well for a solid state.

I tried quite a few amps in my price range (including the Vox Valvetronix and Crate SS amps) and I prefer the MG. The Vox was average at best-it's really just a marketing ploy. The Crates I tried were just ****. Cheap looking and bad sound. I think I tried a Roland Cube 15w as well, but I'm not positive on it. I it was a Cube, it was pretty decent.

I've also tried quite a few MGs. My 50w thoroughly of course, a 15w and the 100w halfstack. The 15w was ok-great for a starter amp and much better than the POS Washburn BD12 I started with. My 50w is great-and for some strange reason it doesn't have a single problem that MG haters mention (Muddy sound, Loud fan, weak, no tone, etc). The effects are also great-although the chorus sounds a bit too digital for my liking. The 100w halfstack is LOUD. Same sound as my 50w, just much stronger. If I were to need a bigger amp, I'd upgrade to that.

People need to stop comparing these MG's to tube amps. They say they suck, but they compare them to tube amps or semi-tube amps. Of course a nice tube amp will sound better. That's common sense. If you want a tube amp, get a tube amp. Solid state amps are good for practicing. Yes, you can use them live, but they are better for practicing. I recommend the Marshall MG over other SOLID STATE amps in the price range. If you disagree, fine. But don't flame me for my preference.
My Gear:

Washburn WI14 Electric
Washburn D10s Acoustic

Quote by Danno13

Quote by jj1565
^ Xenn fav MG user evar
Hey man, I'm happy that you like the sound of your amp That's what it's all about.

I'm just giving the threadstarter more options and my somewhat educated opinion .
Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
^I know-I am too. I did recommend that he try other amps as well to make sure he likes the MG best. That's what I did and it worked out for me.

I'm also trying to pull MG amps up from their horrible reputation on this board for being complete sh*t. Of course they are when compared to some high end all tube amp. All solid states are. People act like the MG series is supposed to be on par with a Mesa Boogie, when it isn't. It's meant to be a practice amp, and does a good job for that.

And don't worry FacingUsAll, I know you're just sharing your experience and opinon as well.

My Gear:

Washburn WI14 Electric
Washburn D10s Acoustic

Quote by Danno13

Quote by jj1565
^ Xenn fav MG user evar
well every MG i've tried sounds like utter ****!!! try a Peavey Bandit for solid-state. Its decent.
MG's have muddy distortion, horrible cleans that don't have any life and has one general tone no matter what your eq settings. Everyone i know who has tried one believe it sounds plain, boring and unlively. Personally i reckon for that price, there are many superior alternatives.
Quote by dannyniceboy
I consider myself to be really intelligent and I've gotten into a fight coz this kid thought it was nasty to put sour cream on enchiladas.

Quote by Minkaro
The fact that I went TOO high singing a Darkness song on Singstar

DARK RED TEAM