Hmm do any of you wear ear plugs during playing. Ive never tried it. Is it a good idea to wear ear plugs. I mean does it matter? Will one's hearing get impaired over long time playing? Is there like a rule of when you should wear one. Like how many watts ect?

It takes a lot of bass to hurt your ears. Around 120 db.

Its loud guitars you want to protect yourself from.
Member of UG's Keyboardists club. PM 4string-tsurigi to join.

Jimbo Wallace of the Godlike, Archaic, But Sexy Instrument Players. PM me to join.
If your hears are hurting or its too loud, throw 'em in. No need to damage your hearing for life.
For larger gigs they would be a good idea. You have to really crank your amps and the PA to get the sound to reach everyone sufficiently, so it can be pretty damn loud from your vantage point.
Quote by metalstillsucks
It takes a lot of bass to hurt your ears. Around 120 db.

Its loud guitars you want to protect yourself from.

yeah, john garcia of kyuss never wanted to wear earplugs, and that's how they got their trademark all-bass-no-treble sound...anyway, it's probably safer to put earplugs in, i don't, but if it bothers your ears, do it
Quote by Soma3009
An interesting Thread. IN BIZARRO WORLD! HAH.

Quote by FakePlsticTrees
and props, clapping and bows to you mantiscabinet.
I recommend them. My ears sometimes ring after a gig. I'm really concern about my hearing because I know I already have poor hearing, i.e. decreased range.

The problem is with cheap ones, it only really cuts out the mids. For me this is a problem because I need to be able to hear my guitarist, and his range is usually mostly mids. Since he often goes off on tangents, I need to be able to follow him dynamically, which is hard with cheap earplugs. I'm thinking about spending £20 on a good pair. I've heard they can go up to £100 ($150) though...

Also you can get in-ear monitors that serve as earplugs too.

btw... I've just come back from band practise and there is slight ringing in my left ear... I might buy those earplugs very soon.
I use gun ear covers, but only if I play drums, or if I play bass with a guitarist and drummer. Otherwise my Tinitus really acts up....and is very perturbing. I would definitely recommend it for high volume applications, but not if you are playing bass by yourself.
College. ... ? . !!
There's no need to talk when we have medicine.
In absolute silence (no wind, no leaves rustling, no washing machine running, etc), I can hear my ears ring. I used to assume that it was electrical equipment on idle (because I happened to notice it most in a dead quiet church right in front of their giant PAs that were, at the moment, idle), but as of late, I think my hearing's getting worse and worse.

If you're going to be exposed to loud sound levels very often, good quality ear protection is a MUST.
Member #8 of the "I Love Waterbears" club!! PM Phantom lord363 to join

Member #2 of the "I love Mexican food" club. PM frozen-dirt to join.

Machine-gun tappist of the Bass Militia. PM Duff_McGee or IndieMetalhead to join.

LOL @ RABBIT
I don't, but it's always a good idea. My ears ring for hours sometimes after practice. My hearing is going downhill and my father has awful hearing too. Let's hope it doesn't run in the family.
-Fender Deluxe Active P-bass (60th anniversary)
-Peavey T-40 (1982)
-Hartke HA-3500
-Aguilar GS 2x12
-GK Backline 2x10
I always wear earplugs when giging or practicing with my band at high volumes. If your ears ring for longer than 5 minutes, you've done serious damage to your ears. As a musician your ear is a valuable thing :]
Its better to regret the things you did, rather than the things you didnt do.
Where do you recommend i buy them? Today my band was practicing and i could have sworn my ears were ringing for about 30 seconds after we finished a piece.

Any sporting goods type place should have them
College. ... ? . !!
There's no need to talk when we have medicine.
Quote by shut_up_you_***
My ears sometimes ring after a gig.

btw... I've just come back from band practise and there is slight ringing in my left ear... I might buy those earplugs very soon.

When your ears are exposed to loud constant noise, the small hairs deep in the drum are flattened. When the noise stops, the hairs seek to take up their normal position. This is what causes the ringing in your ears. Ear ringing means your ears are working. when they stop ringing, time to **** your pants.

Remember the threshold of pain is 120db SPL. We can't replace ears yet, and i have big plans for mine for the next 50 years. So i would agree, they are a must.
Or just put earphones on. I'm talking those small ones. They let enough sound in, but still cut out a couple of those pesky Db.

Once i lost consciousness for a moment when a vocalist took too high a note. I was standind next to a monitor, than he takes the note, I feel INCREDIBLE weight pushing me down, for some reason coming form the ears, then everything goes black for a moment.
my friend took full advantage of the "free-take some" policy at the guitar show in wembley, he walked away with a bucket of ear plugs.

He gave me 3 pairs, im going to try them tomorrow at practice.
Quote by Dogruitag
i think he wants to dream theater to be considered more metal, so he dyed his beard.

Quote by LookAlive
Lmfao, this is the best thread ever, aside from the fact that it involves a girl being harpooned through a tent.
YES you must wear earplugs any time when there is something loud enough that you have to shout to each other, band practises especially because you are often right next to amps and that does the damage, i wear tracers which are like earplugs on a strap so they are easy to take up and leave round your neck etc, it cuts out the drum symbols and slightly the guitar but you can still hear you and the drums and vocals fine.
you WILL go deaf without ear protection, Im deaf from listening to music to loud with ear phones, going to a Bad Religion concert and having loud band practises, so I try to protect my ears as much as posible before im totally deaf
Originally posted by Meths
You need serious amounts of therapy.

Quote by jagstang270
One should not try to masturbate while Dragoneforce is in the background
you just can't keep up.

Quote by waylay00
DragonForce? Sounds like some early 90's children's cartoon or action hero lineup.
At band practice I wear earplugs, it's just common sense. The bass doesn't really hurt your ears too much but the guitars do and over time the drums do serious damage, they even give me headaches sometimes. Band practices can be really stressful for me, the noise just seems to piss me off a lot and it hurts my ears, when I put earplugs in I can hear everything more clearly and I don't get annoyed by the contsant racket around me. It's a good idea for band practices but if you're just playing bass in your own home it's not worth bothering.
slammed my penis in the toilet seat when I was 7-8yrs old,when I tried to run away,it got caught and stretched out, now it is huge,and I have the good ol shxtter to thank

Member of the Anti-Hotpunksk8rgirl club. PM X Alkaline 3 to join
My ears always ****ing ring after gigs, it's annoying. Last time I went to the London guitar show, I took about 2 carrier bags full of free disposable earplugs, it's the way to go!
Posted By Joth
BassyJoey has a sweet toosh!
When at practice i wear earplugs, and a brand i really suggest is Hearos you can check them out at www.hearos.com. They really help when playing in a band cuz they allow you to hear everything just filters out that annoying painful screeching of the guitar which i hate with a passion. It allows me to focus more on the drums and myself while still hearing the foundation of the guitar without putting up with all that high end treble.

However at live performances i dont wear them i prefer to hear myself singing through the monitors, makes me feel as though i can better control my voice.

edit: oh and if you go to their website click on the music section and the rock and roll series...the ones on with the red packaging are the ones i use, were recommended to me by Morrello after a show we played with them, cool guys.
Last edited by Paladin1469 at Jun 2, 2006,
Quote by Bassilo
Once i lost consciousness for a moment when a vocalist took too high a note. I was standind next to a monitor, than he takes the note, I feel INCREDIBLE weight pushing me down, for some reason coming form the ears, then everything goes black for a moment.
It probably jostled your equilibrium too much and you lost your balance.
TRANSFIXUS SED NON MORTUUS
Trust me, I am 15 now and my ears ring like hell.

I am synaesthetic and my ears are overly sensitive.

Get those musician's earplugs, just google it and GET THEM. They don't muddle your sounds and it really helps.

oh yea, get the cord too, it makes you look cool :P