As bassists, we rarely delve into our past of Bass Viles, (uprights), and I think I need some inspiration.

Sooooo... does anybody know any cool stand up songs?
Member of UG's Keyboardists club. PM 4string-tsurigi to join.

Jimbo Wallace of the Godlike, Archaic, But Sexy Instrument Players. PM me to join.
Do you know the band, The Living End? There an Aussie punk/rock/rockabilly style band. There very popular here, hell they might be well known every where but he uses an upright, and he's pretty good. lots of stage-antics aswell.

PS: sorry if this is a band that everyone know, i was just thinking they might only be well-known here in Australia
Chicago by Frank Sinatra is fun. Find some good recordings of Cherokee and play along with them too. Giant Steps by Coltrane is fun but it's pretty tricky haha.
THE TREND IS OVER
YOU WON'T NEED THAT ANYMORE
ITS ON SALE AT THE FUCKING DOLLAR STORE
any rockabilly stuff would do you good, i reccomend alot of Brian Setzer, his bass player is one of the most sought after upright bass players ever.
Gear

Fender Geddy Lee Jazz
Fender MIA Precision
Musicman Bongo
Boss TU-2
EBS TD650
EBS ProLine 2x10 x 2
Annabelle Lee, Incorporeal, and Devil Girl by Tiger Army. Also look into songs by the Nekromantix.
Quote by Maxwell Bass
alot of old Bach stuff i guess?

If you can play with a bow, but I thought he meant just pizzicatto style. If you want fun songs for playing with a bow on an upright bass, I'll be happy to share some.
THE TREND IS OVER
YOU WON'T NEED THAT ANYMORE
ITS ON SALE AT THE FUCKING DOLLAR STORE
I love my French bow.

I am a bow master.

Name something fun.
Member of UG's Keyboardists club. PM 4string-tsurigi to join.

Jimbo Wallace of the Godlike, Archaic, But Sexy Instrument Players. PM me to join.
medeski martin and wood have some really cool upright grooves, especially on end of the world party. john butler trio also has some good lines on sunrise over sea. both of those bands have songs with a bow and fingerstyle.
Quote by Mr. T
"Mr. T defines love as the reluctance to murder. If you're still alive, it's because Mr. T loves you."
tiger army have good bass song too...and the living ends stuff is good too... try it.
halos falling hangs on the sound of death
^So What is incredible. Its even more fun if you play the melody after each bass bit with double stops as well.
Ernie Ball Musicman Stingray > Digitech BP200 > Gallien Krueger 400RBIII/115

Co-President of the fIREHOSE fANCLUB. PM Me, Tedrick, or Incubus_Science to join.

Quote by crazypeanutman

damn yertle, you got some groove
Primus - Mr. Krinkle

And you need to spin around in circles wearing a pig suit while playing it.
Groove is in the Heart - Dee-Light
Zebra - John Butler Trio
Tainted Love - Living End (Cover)
Gear:
Washburn RB2500 (5 String)
Yamaha BB400 Fretless (1981)
Carlo Giordano 3/4 Upright (White)
Cort Action 4 (Stereo-fied)
Orange Bass Terror 500
Orange 1x15 Cab
Boss GT-6 Bass Multi-effects
I know a lot of old jazz (mainly big band) music has a lot of fun lines to play pizzicato. "C Jam Blues" is fun, as long as you can find the right spot when you do that one jump. Also some classical marches call for some nice pizzicato parts.

As for playing arco (bowed), I know some good songs... just not off the top of my head.
^yes anything big band is fun, i know this really cool latin jazz song that has an awesome Bass solo thing (well as close to a solo as you'll get in jazz), it's called Chica de Espana.

another thought
All Torn Down - Living End
Gear:
Washburn RB2500 (5 String)
Yamaha BB400 Fretless (1981)
Carlo Giordano 3/4 Upright (White)
Cort Action 4 (Stereo-fied)
Orange Bass Terror 500
Orange 1x15 Cab
Boss GT-6 Bass Multi-effects
anything johnny cash and mr krinkle by primus and that tune "popcorn"
Call Me Joe
Quote by wesleyisgay
IF MATT DAMON DIES TOMMAROW

FUK

Communist Mormon of 2.21.19.8

Caffeine Head of The Bass Militia
lovecats by the cure sounds good on upright and is pretty easy.
Quote by slayaplaya

(oh! maybe some one will sig that witty comment! maybe not...)
A good Bach tune would be Fugue in G major. If your looking for other good arco pieces i would dabble into some Mozart too.

But if that stuff is not for you then look into some rockabilly, I particually like the horror pops in which their bass player plays slap double bass, its pretty sweet.
Quote by Pink_Floyd89
Hey baby, is that a mirror in your pocket or am I stabbing you repeatedly in the face?

The Slick Fingers of the Bass Malitia, PM IndieMetalHead to join

You don't own shit.