I guess the basic question for a dipschitt like me is what difference is there between the two types of of humbucker? Please help a technical imbecile.

Quote by Clay Treznum
alnico is cheap to produce.

So ceramic is generally considered superior, but more expensive? How about differences in tone?
Ceramics have a little more top end and output than alnicos from what I've played at least.
My Band------> www.myspace.com/earlybirdspecial
Gear: modded Epi Les Paul>Boss TU-2>Dano Compressor>Boss DS-1>EHX Small Stone>Boss PH-3 Phaser>Ibanez CF-7 Chorus/Flanger>Boss DD-3>Boss DD-20 Delay>1989 JCM 800 2205>1973 Chequerboard Marshall 4x12
Ceramic magnets are generally more powerful. Your high output passive pickups will be made from ceramic magnets. They tend to be more harsh, though. Alnico II and Alnico V pickups sound "sweeter" since they're a bit weaker. Usually Alnico is used to make PAF and vintage-style pickups, will have better cleans and smoother distortion.
Hi, I'm Peter
ceramics in general have worse cleans as well. just to let you know.
I R tr00 Member of UG's Gain \/\/hores - don't pm gpderek09 to join unless you are truly worthy
www.purevolume.com/mordecaiaus
Quote by xifr
There is the possibility that I may have or may or may not have gone or not gone into the danger zone.

Quote by lespaulmarshall
I love you Joel
Yeah it's ok, say like something ceramic in the bridge position and something with alnico in the neck.
These go to eleven...
Ceramics have more output but crap tone. Get neither of the two your talking about. Get burstbuckers or nothing from gibson. The rest of thier pickups are crap.
Quote by Bulletbass man
Ceramics have more output but crap tone. Get neither of the two your talking about. Get burstbuckers or nothing from gibson. The rest of thier pickups are crap.

burstbuckers are alnico pickups...alnico V magnets in them.
Quote by deg0ey
The best pickups for emo are no pickups at all...

Gear:

1996 Les Paul Classic w/ Alnico II's
Marshall Jubilee 2550
Vox V847 Wah
Assorted pedals
Quote by bonchie1
burstbuckers are alnico pickups...alnico V magnets in them.

haha

I've never seen anybody so throughly...

PWNDT!!!!!!

wow, I knew the difference, but oddly didn't know that it was alnico rather than alcino. Silly inobservant me.
Quote by Abe
wow, I knew the difference, but oddly didn't know that it was alnico rather than alcino. Silly inobservant me.

Quote by JorisBlack
all good and well, but does anybody know what's the physical difference? Like a different metal used or something?

I think "alnico" means "aluminum/nickel/cobalt", but I have not idea what the wire is made of.