Poll: Do you download metal albums?
Poll Options
View poll results: Do you download metal albums?
Yes, all the time
36 36%
Only to see if I like it, then I buy it if I do, or to hear an album pre-release in my country
49 49%
Never
10 10%
Only legally
4 4%
Voters: 99.
Page 1 of 2
occationally. with CDs costly $30 on average (metal cds are all imported from the USA or Europe to NZ) its hard not to resist downloading an album or too.

but i bought the entire Nile discography among many others. and of course i buy cds by NZ metal bands and such.
Youtube covers

[url="http://www.youtube.com/user/MrJumboHumbo[/URL"]
Yeah, most metal albums are about $25 CDN here, but I only download to give an album the 'one-week-test'. If I still like the album after a full week of listening, I go buy it. If I don't, I delete it.
Yes, most of the time.

But not ALL the time...

^ and what night_lights said about the price is very correct...
roar
it depends on who the band is
I generally buy the smaller artitst's cds rather than the big ones who dont really need the support
All the time. Of the ~4500 mp3's on my computer (about 90% or so are metal) the number of songs I have legally purchased is about 20. I am poor, I really just don't want to spend my money on stuff I can easily get for free. You could say that I'm not supporting the band or whatever, which is true, but, bands see very little profit from actual cd sales, it's mostly major labels. Bands make their money from touring.

I like to expose myself to lots of different music, and with the little income I do have I just can't afford it!

edit: Oops, I accidentally voted as "Never" when I meant "All the time" heh. Guess I thought the title was "Do you buy metal albums" or some ****. Anyway, yeah.
Breedlove Studio D25/SM Acoustic
Epiphone Les Paul Custom w/ EMGs
B-52 AT-212 Tube Amp
MXR 10 Band EQ
Digitech Bad Monkey
Boss RC-2 Loop Station
Last edited by Op3th at May 30, 2006,
Used too. No more.

I'm not so much worried about 'tehomfgrre666releasebynekrobodygoatsexxoffslsk' anymore versus just buying albums that I love. So it's more or less, all the Immortal stuff and various other albums and stuff which tend to fall more into mainstream metal and I can find at a lot of stores etc.
if you have belief in ur soul and jesus you can do anything
I don't ever buy a band's full discography. If I like them, I'll be sure to support them by buying at least half the records they have out, but rarely all (unless it's like Opeth or something).

Metal CDs are just too expensive these days. A good metal CD under 25$ is a rare find.
Quote by Night_Lights
occationally. with CDs costly $30 on average (metal cds are all imported from the USA or Europe to NZ) its hard not to resist downloading an album or too.

but i bought the entire Nile discography among many others. and of course i buy cds by NZ metal bands and such.

Same sh1t here in South Africa.

I sometimes download a song or 2 then go and get the album if its available or place an order for the album. The waiting period is fvcking irritating as well. But nothing beats buying a cd.
yeah. not overly proud of it or anything, but the fact is i'm ****in broke, all the time, and i still want to hear music. if i win the lotto tho, i'll buy a **** load of cds
I always to prefer to buy, bur if I'm saving or out of money I don't mind downloading, but with some bands I'd much prefer to buy the CD, I'm not really sure why.
Originally posted by Novaworld
Smiddys right...
Quote by Davidian
I am dutch, i must have everything for free ofcourse.

We are quite cheap yeah

I download albums to see if I like them or not, and if I do I'll (try to) buy the cd. Only problem is that I download more cd's than I can buy, right now I have a big ass list of cd's I want but can't buy unless I wanna be broke all the time. It's quite an expensive thing.
imo, not downloading is ignorance. You can not know tons of bands and really know what's good and what isn't if you download not. Because albums are WAY too expensive (goes up to 30$ CAN) since a lot of albums are imports, and a lot of albums are much harder to find. I'm a big thrash head and slsk does wonders for that, but if I see an old thrash album in stores I most definitely buy it. I usually buy around 20-25 albums a year, but download 100's
I buy the actual cd. But if that is not possible because the band doesn't sell/ship in/to the UK, I'll download it legally and pay for it. Unless the band are giving it away free on myspace or something.
O.K.

“There's never enough time to do all the nothing you want.”
~ Bill Watterson

O__o
I used to buy everything but I'm totally broke all the time. so I started some d/ling here and there, but with my crappy internet connection it takes forever so I usually buy a CD once in a while. The problem is I don't only love metal, there's so much Jazz CDs that I need to get..
Die Sonne graut dem Morgen
Morsch sind Baum und Pfad
Die Sonne graut dem Morgen
mir ist kalt...
Both. Normally the case with me is that i'm buying cds i've already downloaded. I've got a good 200 cds now, still rising. But I still like to download leaks or stuff i haven't heard.
LAMMERGEIER
Disclaimer: Dyer's Eve can not be held responsible for the loss of time spent or the insult to your aural senses as a result of exploring this link
And I like the effort put into cd cases/artwork, also cds won't just up and crash and all disappear....
O.K.

~ Bill Watterson

O__o
^Yeah, and it looks cool as hell if you have a big-assed collection.
LAMMERGEIER
Disclaimer: Dyer's Eve can not be held responsible for the loss of time spent or the insult to your aural senses as a result of exploring this link
Supporting your favourite metal bands is important

I only download albums from bands I haven't heard before - if I really like it, I will go out and buy the albums. I don't tend to buy albums from bands I have never heard before - I hate the feeling you get after you have spent your hard earned cash on an album to then find out it sucks ass.

If I am going to listen to a downloaded album more than twice, I tend to delete the album and buy it.

I hate the excuse: "Well maybe they'll go and see them live" - stop being a cheap skate and buy the damn album if you like it.

One of my friends hasn't bought an album in many many years, he always wants copies from me and downloads.
Quote by MaAal_MaAan
i don't see any reason not to. Although, when i was little, i had a bad experience and pissed all over my feet, i've since improved my aim dramatically and always get in the hole.

Last.FM
i usually download to see if i like it, or if i cant find it anywhere else
Last.fm
My Recordnerd
Myspace

Quote by Crazy
okay. have fun. 1,567,584,586th time I've heard that in the pit

Quote by c0ld_3mphasis05
Not even that many people exist on this planet.

LOL
just like the posts above, i only download to find new artists and to see if i like them or not. if i do, then i'll usually buy their albums.
The trouble with nude dancing is that not everything stops moving when the music does.

Last.fm
Hell NO!!
omg,DUDE i just downloaded Nile, its sick DUDE......more sick than my slipknot collection.

I have luxury of living near a local cd shop.
I usually end up getting rare eps,first prints,etc.
If you are reading this, GET A JOB!!
As other people in the thread have already said, I'll download a few songs to see if I like the way the album looks like it's gonna shape up then either go out and buy it if I like it, or delete it if I don't.
Quite oftenly. Mostly because the CD's are hard to find or needs importing and with my finanical situation. If I can find it, I will buy it.
Quote by Green_Fox
just like the posts above, i only download to find new artists and to see if i like them or not. if i do, then i'll usually buy their albums.

+1

I think it's much cooler to buy an album, not only do you support the artist but you get the whole package and it just feels a lot better if you know what I mean. Especially with concept albums it's nice to see the artwork and see how much effort the artist has put into creating the images and setting the atmosphere for the album.
I download a lot. I don't have a job, so I simply can't buy everything I want. I only buy the rare albums I can't find online.
Yes, because most metal albums aren't available in my local HMV (the metal section is full of emo and metalcore).

And I download legally. So....yeah.
Quote by justinb904
im more of a social godzilla than chameleon

Quote by MetalMessiah665
Alright, I'll give them a try, Japanese Black Speed rarely disappoints.

Quote by azzemojo
Hmm judging from your pic you'd fit in more with a fat busted tribute.
Last edited by duncang at May 30, 2006,
I have to download all my metal, becuase there is none around here. I've already bought all the metal cds that I could buy(which totals maybe 3) from the only two places left... Best Buy and Circuit City(becuase all our music stores are closing). Around where I live(Erie PA), our market is so over-saturated with **** that alls you can buy at the two or three CD stores are Hardcore, Metalcore/Nu-Metal, Emo, RnB, Rap/Pop and Country. So, pretty much everything but metal.

Oh, I also plan to get enough money and attempt to buy the CDs I've downloaded so...
Last edited by Tsunekuni at May 30, 2006,
i download, but buy alot of albums too. I buy more albums BECAUSE i download. i don't burn cds though.
Read my post. Not this.
I download like a crazy mofo, mainly due to my lack of funds. I still buy all the time though, especially if theres a new release, great to have it on the day its relased, easier to get, and probably cheaper, which I've done with quite a few albums.
I buy almost every single album I own. For me it's more about status than actually supporting the artists, as I have paid over a hundred dollars for some albums that are out of print - even when downloading them is just a few clicks away.

I have downloaded some things though; albums that are completely unabtainable and stuff that I don't really care to listen to, but am practically obligated to hear.
- Celtic folk metal | - Folk metal | - Folk Metal label/Distro
Lately yes.

But I do plan on buying many of the ones I've downloaded. I've mostly downloaded albums that I'd never be able to find anywhere around here, though.
And being somewhat an audiophile, the drop in quality of mp3 from full wav irritates me. But I will always prefer to buy. And I only ever buy 3-4 cds a month, I don't have enough free time to listen to more than that properly so it's affordable for me.
O.K.

~ Bill Watterson

O__o
I don't download anything at all I like supporting the band but I don't come across too many cd's I can't find in a store or buy over the internet but if i couldnt find it then i would download.
Page 1 of 2