hey i was wondering what oil i should put on my fretless neck? i went to my local hardware shop and the closest thing to guitar neck oils they had was orage oil, and it was siht expensive so that is that out of the picture. so then i thought, linseed oil... what would be the advantages disagvantages with this? thanks in advance, oh and the clearcoat will be done this weekend and i wanted to get the oil b4 i done the coat
Quote by Unforgivable
LesPaulMarshalls ace!
Quote by Dudage
LesPaulMarshall, you friggin rock!
Quote by adrian_brown89
It's pretty hard to find someone as hardcore as Tom. The race for hardcore supremacy would be pretty close but i think Tom's got his nose just in front for now...
and what can i use to clean the neck, as in, before i oil it?
Quote by Unforgivable
LesPaulMarshalls ace!
Quote by Dudage
Quote by adrian_brown89
It's pretty hard to find someone as hardcore as Tom. The race for hardcore supremacy would be pretty close but i think Tom's got his nose just in front for now...
The neck? I thought you painted that, or are you talking about the fretboard? With the fretboard i'd just rub it of with a tack cloth, you sanded it when you put in the fretmarkers so it's not going to be that dirty.

And for the finish on a fretless i've heard of epoxy or a polyurethane applied to the fingerboard for protection from string wear when using roundwounds.
The fingerboard won't really need a finish if your using flats, maybe rub some lemon oil on the fretboard to keep it in shape.
yeah im using flatwounds, and yeah sorry i was talking about the fretboard not the neck. i cant get hold of lemon oil, the closest thing is the orange oil.

can anyone tell me about the linseed oil? yay of nay
Quote by Unforgivable
LesPaulMarshalls ace!
Quote by Dudage
Quote by adrian_brown89
You should be able to get lemon oil at a guitar store, it's not the sort of thing you'd find at bunning or a hardware store.

Linseed oil has been used it finishing guitars before,i aven't heard of it being used on a fretboard but i can't see any problems with using it.
Orange oil will work, infact almost any natural oil will work I think. I've heard of some people using orange and almond oil with the same results.
Won't pure Tung Oil, not the one with additives, be the best? I've read it's even better than lemon oil or linseed oil becuase it's a natural polymerizer ... helps the wood fibers keep its natural flex. And unlike linseed, it doesn't get rancid.

BTW, it's how I'm finishing my maple/maple neck for a Partstocaster.
ok before u **** up im gonna step in, linseed oil works good if not great imo, orange oil and almand oil work good together, but not seprate, tung oil is more for the back of the neck not for the fretboard, but works good also. epoxy works well 2
Member #5 of the UG Luthier's club.
member #3 of the vermont cult
Member of the Frank Zappa Fan Club. PM deadhead313313 to join"

Quote by LightningRider
T Heff, No shit I'm a n00b

Quote by Will_Minus

EDIT: t heff wins the for the best response.

Quote by carousel182
i im gonna have to agree with t heff
^^ thanks guys, i think im going to go with the linseed oil. its the cheapest so it is very appealing.

oh and another thing, would it leave a sticky residue? or will it sink in? its a rosewood fretboard
Quote by Unforgivable
LesPaulMarshalls ace!
Quote by Dudage
Quote by adrian_brown89
^I don't like linseed oil...my grandpa had a big vat of linseed oil for furniture, and I tried a bit on my acoustic neck, and it just went all greasy, didn't really help the wood, just made it all gross...

I'd say go w/ orange oil.
I'm not very active here on UG currently.
I'm a retired Supermod off to the greener pastures of the real world.
phhhhhhhhew, thanks for the dude...i would have hated to screw up what i have put so much effort into. looks like im guna have to pay bloody 20 bucks, for like 400 mL then...
Quote by Unforgivable
LesPaulMarshalls ace!
Quote by Dudage
Quote by adrian_brown89
I'd say Bore Oil or for the win! Makes the fretboard look really nice and holds it in shape way longer than lemon oil.
Isn't epoxy like, resin? As in glue?

And, mixing almond and orange oil wouldn't work better than just almond or just orange by itself. I use lemon oil for my fretboard, and it works great. Orange oil works the same, just make sure you don't use a commercial wood polish, they tend to have additives. Even though they claim to condition your wood, they usually mess it up.

I agree with That Pink Queen, linseed oil has effects similar to rubbing McFries all over your neck.... Unless it's tru-oil, because thats like... different.

What is cool about linseed oil is that, if you soak a rag in it, and then deprive the rag of all oxygen, it will burst in to flames. It's amazing.
Enjoi <--- Friend me
Quote by Scowmoo
Otter, you're my new god.
no epoxy, its not need with flatwound strings.

as for lemon oil, i can get it at my grocery store, so i would look there if its convenient for you. if not, orange oil will work, only difference i think is just the smell. and it is slick for about minutes until it dries, after that, its fine. i like to oil my necks whenever i change my strings.

as for linseed, i have no experience
Recognised by the Official Who To Listen To List 2012

Quote by steven seagull
You don't argue with tubadude on Washburn-related matters, he flosses with the G string from a set of 0.12's y'know....and it's WOUND!