heya, i've a marshall TSL100 with a mode 4 cab and i switched it on yesterday and the guitar sounded all distant and farty then it faded away and now there's no sound out of it.

all the tubes are fired up and heating up normally.

the amp hasn't taken a knock or anything.

could this be a dry joint issue or dampness or something?
Sounds to me like one of the power amp valves has gone
Its always happy here
ye def a valve problem.
ACOUSTIC
Martin 0001
Fender Stratacoustic

ELECTRIC
Gibson SG Special Faded (Mod)

AMP/FX
DOD ICE IT 60 Watt
ZOOM 606II Guitar
all the power amp valves are fired up nicely tho, isn't there a test you can do?

something about striking the valve and listening to if it makes a 'ping' sound?

and shouldn't the amp work even if one of the power valves are gone?
Oh yeah, Fire up the valves.....plug your guitar in to amp but turn down your guitar volume, turn the amp full on....tap the valves (you can actually knock on the top of the amp but its not as easy) If a sound comes out of the amp when you touch the valves, it means the valve is broken basically
Its always happy here
woah be careful about getting oil from your skin in the valves!!! it can crack them when they cool. just a warning
ACOUSTIC
Martin 0001
Fender Stratacoustic

ELECTRIC
Gibson SG Special Faded (Mod)

AMP/FX
DOD ICE IT 60 Watt
ZOOM 606II Guitar
cool, and do you take off the back grille for this or just wedge somethin in there to tap them with?

the thing is i'm getting no sound out of the amp even when it's maxed out, no buzz or nothin so i can't even check that way to see if the tubes are gone.

it doesn't really sound like a tube prob cos even if a few were gone, you'd still get a signal thru the cab wouldn't you?

and even if a speaker or 2 were gone in the cab you'd still get some buzz or sound out of it.
^^ yea but there's no sound out of the amp! i won't be able to tell if they're microphonic.
there's no buzz as you raise the volume at all, no signal coming out of the speakers.
While im here, get yourself a jcm800 1960a or b cab, makes the TSL sound fuller in my opinion - only a tip!
do you have another speaker or amp laying around you can plug the head into?
Quote by deg0ey
The best pickups for emo are no pickups at all...

Gear:

1996 Les Paul Classic w/ Alnico II's
Marshall Jubilee 2550
Vox V847 Wah
Assorted pedals
no the other amp's i have are combos with no speaker input. is there anything else on an amp i can run the output of the head into? external jacks on the combo? headphone jack? basically what ways are there to line a head into an amp?

you hav to worry bout the load connected to the head aswell don't you?
Last edited by controlfreak at May 30, 2006,
Quote by controlfreak
no the other amp's i have are combos with no speaker input. is there anything else on an amp i can run the output of the head into? external jacks on the combo? headphone jack? basically what ways are there to line a head into an amp?

you hav to worry bout the load connected to the head aswell don't you?

first off don't do this til someone else comes in and says it can be done...but you could try trunning the head into the effects loop of one of your combo amps...that should bypass the preamp and send it straight to the speakers...

BUT...this may screw up your head...so let someone say its possible first.
Quote by deg0ey

Gear:

Marshall Jubilee 2550
Vox V847 Wah
Assorted pedals
what kind of sound does the amp make when you tap it (if the valves are bust). Is it that really clangy metallic noise?
whatever you do, DO NOT use a metal stick to poke around with. Use a wooden/plastic chopstick like cakehead suggests. don't use a pencil!
Quote by Dave_Mc
how do those marshall handles compare tonewise to, say, mesa handles?

Owns a Blackheart Little Giant...
What you could do is connect the head to one of the speakers from the combos, but, it's got to be able to handle the wattage of the amp, and be able to match the impedence of the head.
You might be able to try it this way, but wait 'till someone more knowledgeable comes here...
"Breathe, breathe in the air
Don't be afraid to care"

Fender Strat/Tokai LS80>few pedals>Orange Rocker 30
JorisBlack the tubes are glowing orange, all of them. not purple as gassy tubes on their way out would.

Mahavishnu80 there's no sound out of the amp so i can't tell if the tubes are microphonic but there'd still be a signal thru the amp if they were.

R H C P i don't have an amp that has a plug in speaker that's not a tiny 10W thing so i wouldn't b comfortable plugging a 100W head into it.

i've heard if you turn on the head without any load attached it can be bad for the head but in what way exactly? can this blow anythin in the head? i don't remember turning it on without the cab tho.

oh and can you line in thru the effects loop like bonchie1 said?
Quote by controlfreak

i've heard if you turn on the head without any load attached it can be bad for the head but in what way exactly? can this blow anythin in the head? i don't remember turning it on without the cab tho.

It'll blow the fuse or something like that, it's really bad for the amp when it's switched on with no load attatched, in some cases sparks have flew out and the amps have broke, or so some have said.

What you could do is, you could take it into a guitar shop close to you, and ask if you can plug it into a cab, and then see what the problem is.
"Breathe, breathe in the air
Don't be afraid to care"

Fender Strat/Tokai LS80>few pedals>Orange Rocker 30
how long have you played the amp? at what volumes, and how often?
ma gear

"it's too hard man, don't even try"
-jason becker

"get those flabby fingers in shape"
-rusty cooley
just take it to an amp tech...ask him whats wrong.
Quote by deg0ey

Gear:

Marshall Jubilee 2550
Vox V847 Wah
Assorted pedals
quick couple things to look at before you bring it in. Make sure the output mute isn't selected on the panel switches, and check to see if the HT fuse in the back is blown.
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids
i play it at band volume bout once a week and i've had it bout 9 months.

what's the HT fuse and how would i know if it's blown? is it like a regular blown fuse?
the HT is a regular fuse, it's in the back next to the mains fuse. If you replace it, make sure you get the exact rating fuse it needs. If it is blown, it's probably a problem with your power tubes. The HT fuse is meant to go if there is a problem with the power section. You're also positive the output mute didn't get depressed accidently right?
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids
hey man, checked the fuse and yes it is indeed blown!

i'll get a replacement today but is there a chance the same thing might happen again if there was a prob with the power stage of the amp?

all the tubes are fired up ok. but if there's an underlying prob then it'd be better to get that fixed before the fuse blows again right?
yeah, I would plan on replacing the power tubes, it could have been a mild short. How old are they?
amp clips
amp vids
got the amp second hand but the guy selling it said it wasn't really played cos his manager got it for him but he prefered his DSL so he sold it on. to be honest it did almost look new when i got it 9 months ago. the tubes do seem to be fired up nicely tho.

do power amp tubes pull out in the same way as preamp tubes? i might get a new set from eurotubes but do they need to be biased aswell?

i've been checkin on the internet there for the fuse but the code on it doesn't seem to match anything. the code's T1E250V but there's no mention of a fuse with that code anywhere!

do u know offhand what amperage the HT fuse should be?

sorry for the volume of questions man!
9 months is a pretty long time for used tubes. They last an average of 1-2 years with normal playing, but they can really go at any time.

Powertubes pull out the same way as preamp tubes, straight out. You could probably get away with using the same brand and grade number tubes if you had them, but for using new tubes, I would get it biased. That will assure the best sound with the longest tube life.

From the handbook at the Marshall site, I think that's just a T(thermal) 1 Amp fuse. You should be able to see inside the fuse, if it's a small thin wire, it's probably a normal/fast blow, if it's a blob in there or another thick substance, it's probably a slow blow. T usually stands for Thermal, but HT fuses are normally fast blow, so I don't know. By your rating though, it's a 1Amp 250V fuse. I would email Marshall to confirm.
amp clips
amp vids
Last edited by Erock503 at Jun 2, 2006,
^^ yeah you're right, been checking them up alright. i'll pick one up today and see if it makes it blow again before i go changing the tubes. the 'T' stands for 'timed' and it's a very thin wire from i can make out but the fuse's been blackened a lot.

would a whole retube be the best thing for the power tubes or do people tend to replace all 8 at one time?
I see, timed makes sense, the thin wire would indicate fast blow/normal. It might last for a while, but something caused it to blow, and that's usually something with the tubes.

you should be fine just changing the power tubes, but new preamp tubes wouldn't be a bad idea. They generally last about twice as long as power tubes, but they can make a nice difference in shaping the preamp gain. They should be pretty reasonable too if you're buying a kit from Eurotubes. You definitely want to replace all the power tubes at once so you can get matched ones.
amp clips
amp vids
hey man, changed the HT fuse and the amp's back working!

i see what your saying bout the tubes, prob will get a whole set soon but i'll have to get them biased by a pro i'd say as i've no real equipment to do it myself.