The reason I ask is the cheapest store in the UK for first-hand guitar equipment is www.gak.co.uk and even compared to a site like musiciansfriend (which doesn't ship to the UK) the prices are still ridiculously high.
Jackson RR5
Epiphone LP Standard
Ibanez S370
Marshall JCM 800 4103 Combo
Roland Cube 60
i find that mostlyy..
you end up paying so much in delievery & customs etc from the US
it works out about the same price if you just buy from GAK
x
Fender American Deluxe Telecaster
Marshall JCM800
Boss Tu-2, Os-2, DD-3
Merchant City Music ain't bad either
i ordered the wrong guitar once & they were very good about it
try themm
x
Fender American Deluxe Telecaster
Marshall JCM800
Boss Tu-2, Os-2, DD-3
how can you order the wrong guitar?
you cant spell manslaughter without laughter

Quote by ACG
I like my women how I like my cookies. Smothered in diarrhea.
www.music123.com does but it cant ship gibsons to england for some reason. thers excellent prices on ther tho.
Fender American Deluxe Ash Stratocaster (2000)
Fender Classic Player 60's Stratocaster
Marshall JCM900 100w head & 4x12 cab

Korg DT-10 Tuner; Boss DD-3 Digital Delay; Jim Dunlop JH-1B Wah; Boss RT-20 Rotary Ensemble; MXR EVH Phase 90.
Be very careful if you're buying your amp from across the pond. They're rated differently.
Thanks for your replies, music123.com was the only American site listed in this thread, the rest were UK and more expensive than gak
Free, what do you mean by rated differently?
Jackson RR5
Epiphone LP Standard
Ibanez S370
Roland Cube 60
If you buy a guitar from the US, you WILL pay over £50 for postage, and even moreso for customs charges. I bought a strat neck from the states and got £25 customs charges, the neck itself only cost £50. For smaller items like pedals, accessories or small guitar parts, you can save a lot of money buying from the states, as long as it weighs adn costs less than the customs limits (not sure what they are).

Oh, and US amps have different transformers and are made to work with 110V, 60Hz power supplies, whereas UK uses 230V at 50Hz
My gear;

Custom HSS Strat (eBay'ed parts)
Fender Acoustic
DOD EQ
EH Big Muff
Home-made Wah
Home-made Booster
Laney LC15

Looking for a Jazz Bass body to refinish

My DeviantArt Page, MySpace Profile
The reason I ask is because I was looking into buying an Epiphone Gothic Explorer, which is £350 from GAK (not including postage) but only $400 from music123. If we assume I'll have to pay £80 ($150) on top of the $400, then it's $550 which is £300... I'd be saving a whole £50...
Well, I need all the money I can get so gotta start saving somewhere.
(If someone can suggest a good guitar for under £400 that will suit rhythm playing and the odd solo for a thrash metal band then please be my guest)
Jackson RR5
Epiphone LP Standard
Ibanez S370
Roland Cube 60
You can find Gothic Explorers for cheaper than that, check eBay. The Epi Korina Explorer is only £250 in most places these days, £300 at the most. I got mine second hand in a shop in Liverpool for £200 inc. hard case.
My gear;

Fender Acoustic
DOD EQ
EH Big Muff
Home-made Wah
Home-made Booster
Laney LC15

If you know someone in the us, then you can get them to order it, send it to you. This way, if they send it as a gift, you don't pay import tax.

Its what i did for my wah, i got it for nearly half the price i'd pay here.
Quote by Dogruitag
i think he wants to dream theater to be considered more metal, so he dyed his beard.

Quote by LookAlive
Lmfao, this is the best thread ever, aside from the fact that it involves a girl being harpooned through a tent.
^^ True, although most businesses won't proclaim goods as "gift" because its technically illegal. Like you said, if you have friends there pretty much everything is about half the price of what you'd pay here
My gear;

Fender Acoustic
DOD EQ
EH Big Muff
Home-made Wah
Home-made Booster
Laney LC15

Sounds like a good idea... I have a cousin living in Canada but I don't know if that will work, will he have to pay taxes from buying from a US website? Other than him I don't really have any close friends actually in the USA.
I don't want a Korina explorer, mainly because I like the sleek look of the Gothic, plus the wood is mahogony and has better pickups than the Korina (so I've heard).
Jackson RR5
Epiphone LP Standard
Ibanez S370
Roland Cube 60
Take a holiday in america and go get it..make sure its a connecting flight otherwise you may get hassle from customs. You're not allowed to bring back any more than £180 worth of goods..but ive done it 3 times and never been stopped.

GAK is **** by the way..they never have anything in stock and they are very pricey.
Quote by Mahavishnu80
Take a holiday in america and go get it..make sure its a connecting flight otherwise you may get hassle from customs. You're not allowed to bring back any more than £180 worth of goods..but ive done it 3 times and never been stopped.

GAK is **** by the way..they never have anything in stock and they are very pricey.

Yeah thats what i did. Take a battered guitar case with you that looks like its been everywhere with you.

buy your new guitar and put it in the case.

I hope to run this a little buisness when im older by makking short holidays to New York and buy enough equipment that when i resell for profit covers the cost of the trip.

Best things to make profit on is Splash cymbals for drums as ones that cost $60 can cost upto £100 here, ridiulous.
Just looked it up. You can get a return flight to new york for about £350, could prob find cheaper. Accomodation for a weekend is about £100.

So if you can get $900 profit or save $900 on an intended purchase then you can get the trip for free. So thats about the price differance on a pair of les pauls after some haggling and getting a good sale on ebay.
Lol, well calculated but I'm only 16. I'm going to have a job all summer to be able to afford a new guitar (and my birthday is in late summer so I probably won't have to pay the entire price) but I doubt my parents will let me fly to New York on me own for a week.
I don't know why but I'm dead set on a Gothic Explorer. I've played Epi Les Pauls and, while it's not a guitar I enjoyed the feel of, I frickin' loved the tone I got out of it. I played an Ibanez SZ and enjoyed the feel of it, as I did with a Fender Strat. However, I know someone who has an Epi Gothic Explorer and adores it. I think it looks bad ass on stage and, after all, I'm a rhythm player.
Man, am I shallow or what? Buying a guitar purely on cosmetics and what I've heard from a friend. I'm afraid there are very few guitar shops near where I live and they don't have much of a stock so it's unlikely I'm going to get to try before I buy. Still, it's gotta kick the crap out of my Pacifica...
And if I get someone else to send me the guitar, will they have to pay import tax if they get it from an American website because they live in Canada?
Jackson RR5
Epiphone LP Standard
Ibanez S370
Roland Cube 60
I've got relative going to America tomorrow. They're bringing me back a Dime from Hell wah for like 1/3 of the price I'd pay here. I just hope they don't charge customs for that thing...It's like a brick.