Ok, Im not that stupid, I know quite a bit, but how can you work out a chord from any set of notes? I dont understand how Cas and others do it in that "name that chord" thread. Do you work out all the intervals and then try out different notes for the root and work from there?

Chrs.

Quote by Robbie n strat
In the changing rooms we'd all jump around so our dicks and balls bounced all over the place, which we found hilarious.

Little children should be felt, not heard.
Quote by notoriousnumber
Ok, Im not that stupid, I know quite a bit, but how can you work out a chord from any set of notes? I dont understand how Cas and others do it in that "name that chord" thread. Do you work out all the intervals and then try out different notes for the root and work from there?

Chrs.

Rearrange the tones so that they're stacked in thirds. When you're done, the bottom tone is the root.
All things are difficult before they are easy.
- Dr. Thomas Fuller (British physician, 1654-1734)
Quote by Freepower
For everything you need to know - gpb0216.
You need to know your fretboard and what makes a chord. Then it's a piece of piss. Say, take an Open C chord. Do you know what is making it a C chord?

I had fun once asking people a chord quesiton.. Oh the different answers we got..

I am made up of D, F#, G and A. What am I?
Quote by Applehead
You need to know your fretboard and what makes a chord. Then it's a piece of piss. Say, take an Open C chord. Do you know what is making it a C chord?

I had fun once asking people a chord quesiton.. Oh the different answers we got..

I am made up of D, F#, G and A. What am I?

D F# A is a Dmaj, so adding a G is like adding a 4th.

Dadd4 or sus4
Dadd11 actually.. When there's a 3 in a chord, call the 4 a 11

You can also see it as a Gmaj7sus2 Or Gmaj9(no 3)
The "Popped Collar" Award(Sexiest)
Elvenkindje

The "Rest In Real Life" Award(Best Past MT Mod)
Elvenkindje
Told you there would be lots of answers!

I settled on Dadd11. As above, as the 3rd is there, the 4th can''t be, so we whack it up to 11. Although i could be totally wrong there.
I did not know that. =P

Well, it's enough that I knew off the top of my head the triad of a major chord.
Quote by Applehead

looking at it like it's a tab

0 E
1 C
0 G
2 E
3 C
0 E

G + E + C = Cmajor

I mean, I know that stuff. Complex **** is lost on me as far as naming, I just like to add notes for fun.
Think of thinigs in relation to the Major scale, as they all come off that. Learn what a sus chord is, a diminished, dominant etc.. You'll be sweet as my nuts my friend.

edit: Oh, and **** tab ! Real men use sheet music baby
Real men don't play music, they do construction work.

:p

But I can do sheet music as well, I'm a vocal music education major and I'm required to learn piano and vocal sight-reading. SO FUN.
I was gonna say the chord was a Dadd4 but then I saw people's replies and now I know it's a Dadd11

Thanks!

any other tips of that kind I should know??

@ threadstarter- im not very good at it yet either but you just basically take a root (most of the time the lower note) and find the matching intervals

so for that D F# G A chord, I took D and thought of the D major scale (actually I wrote it down cause I'm visual and I don't know them all by heart yet :P)
to do so, i used the WWHWWWH method... so I've got that scale:

D (W) E (W) F# (H) G (W) A (W) B (W) C# (H) D
That means:

D - Root
E - Second
F# - Third
G - Fourth
A - Fifth
B - Sixth
C# - Seventh

So I said, hmm there's a root, a third, a fourth and a fifth... so thats a major chord (1+3+5 = D+F#+A) with an add4 (4 = G)... that means

D F# G A = Dadd4 (actually it's a Dadd11 cause 11 is the octave of 4 and according to people who replied before me, you can't have a 3 and a 4 on the same chord... so the 4 turns into a 11 to give a Dadd11)

All you need to do is take that method every time and practice... I just started learning chord formation last week so I'm not very good at it yet but I understand how to do it so I'm able to do it without problems most of the time...
Note: Sorry if my grammar and/or vocabulary isn't very good, English is my 2nd language!

Quote by Resiliance
you show me yours and I'll show you mine!

If you're wondering where I've been gone, click here!