Hey guys, up until yesterday I was all set on buying either a Jackson or an Ibanez. However whilst messing around in my uncle's studio I happened to plug up his SG Special into a Marshall Valvestate and within the ensueing time fell in love with it.

I am currently on the lookout for bargain SG's and I shall be checking them out in shops as soon as I get the chance.

Basically I was wondering if it is worth leaving the Gibson humbuckers in the guitar if I got one or put in some EMG's, DiMarzio's or something like that ( I mainly play heavy metal and NWOBHM).

As for my amp I am in the process of getting a new amp as well, some sort of Marshall.

Thanks in advance

Rock On!
I'm going to create the procrastination club, just later...
i got a PRS SE series im looking to sell . thoughs are the less expensive ones. i just bought it a few months ago. its basically brand new. the only reason im sellin it is i just got my tax return and im gonna up grade to something a lil better. but yea prs is and awesome guitar the SE series are way better quality then any fender or ibanez at the same price. if ur interested let me know and we can make the transaction through ebayand do one of thoughs buy now things.
^
PRS a metal guitar? :lol:

Well, I just ordered a calibrated set of ceramic Bare Knuckle Warpigs for my SG, so I'd say it's definitely worth it! I plan on taking the Gibson 'buckers and throwing them in an Epi SG or LP.
My gear:
'96 Ibanez S540FMTT
'91 Standard Gibson SG [w/ Bare Knuckle Warpigs]
Peavey Triple XXX 112
i've an SG Standard and i love it man, they're the most sexy guitars to play. i've left mine stock as i tend to play from all over the musical spectrum but i've heard good things bout EMGs in them. the thing with an SG is that they distort beautifully so no matter how wild ur dist tone is the guitar usually handles it admirably.

of course i think the amp you have will play a more important role in your tone than the guitar itself.

my advise is to look into what amp will suit you (other people here will give you their two cents bout that) then worry about whether you're SG needs an upgrade. chances are it'll be great just as it is.
If you want to do that, go for it. There are plenty of metal bands who have played with SGs, and those pickup upgrades should make it pretty neat for metal rhythm
My gear;

Custom HSS Strat (eBay'ed parts)
Fender Acoustic
DOD EQ
EH Big Muff
Home-made Wah
Home-made Booster
Laney LC15

Looking for a Jazz Bass body to refinish

My DeviantArt Page, MySpace Profile
as soon as im done "bluesing" up my lp im gonna get some emg's for my sg so yeah id say an sg makes a good metal guitar
My Musical attempts

My youtube music channel

Quote by TOMMYB22
Dammit, beaten to it, and by someone with the same name

CURSE YOU TOMMYT!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote by daeqwon10000
I hate tommyt and the high horse which he rides upon
Damn you Jarrott and your money, i will get my warpigs someday
Originally posted by: rich sg
And God said unto Jesus: "Son, is there anything you want to talk about?"
And Jesus replied: "Get off my back, Dad! Judas Priest your such a frickin' homophobe! FACE!"
And so Jesus was crucified.
Quote by tommyt
as soon as im done "bluesing" up my lp im gonna get some emg's for my sg so yeah id say an sg makes a good metal guitar

i think thats why esp have made the viper
hell yeah ^^ oh yeah sorry to hijack the thread but can anyone think of a good 3 emg combo?
My Musical attempts

My youtube music channel

Quote by TOMMYB22
Dammit, beaten to it, and by someone with the same name

CURSE YOU TOMMYT!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote by daeqwon10000
I hate tommyt and the high horse which he rides upon
Thanks for all the advice guys.

Quick question, what is the difference between installing active or passive pickups on a guitar and does anyone know how it would suit an SG with say EMG 81/85's?

I know this has been asked thousands of times but I haven't the time to search currently.

Thanks again.
I've got an Epiphone SG with an EMG-81 in the bridge. I was intending to put an EMG-60 in the neck, but I lacked the funds, so I only bought one pickup. I wired it so the neck is a dummy, but I regret doing it, as I saw on the EMG website that you can mix EMGs and passive pickups if they have separate volume and tone pots.
Quote by Saint of Steel
Thanks for all the advice guys.

Quick question, what is the difference between installing active or passive pickups on a guitar and does anyone know how it would suit an SG with say EMG 81/85's?

I know this has been asked thousands of times but I haven't the time to search currently.

Thanks again.

actives require a battery to power a preamp in the pickup so that it can usually handle a lot more gain than what a passive can do.
Quick question... well two

1. Is it worth buying an SG Special or saving a little longer and getting a Standard?

and

2. Will installing active pickups mean that alot of work on the body will be required?

Thanks.
Quote by Jarrott
^
PRS a metal guitar? :lol:

Well, I just ordered a calibrated set of ceramic Bare Knuckle Warpigs for my SG, so I'd say it's definitely worth it! I plan on taking the Gibson 'buckers and throwing them in an Epi SG or LP.

THOSE PICKUPS ROOCK SATAN OUTTA HELL! Bare Knuckles for the world.

If only i were rich (or they were cheaper)
Quote by Saint of Steel
Quick question... well two

1. Is it worth buying an SG Special or saving a little longer and getting a Standard?

and

2. Will installing active pickups mean that alot of work on the body will be required?

Thanks.

Nope. If you get a Special, you might have to sharpen up the edges of the pickup holes on the pickguard, because open-coil pickups are rounder than covered ones. I had to do that on my G-310 so the EMG could fit in. It was a long and tedious job.

Also, active pickups require no mods to the body, usually. With your SG controls, you can just nestle the battery in between the pots. That's what I did.
I have a '61 RI SG with the '57 buckers and my bandmate has the Gibson SG Standard with stock PUs. He hasn't felt the need to "upgrade" them because the sounds coming out of his tube amp are fantastic. I doubt he'll be able to exploit its full capabilities anytime soon and he's pretty decent.

While it's fun to continually upgrade one's gear, sometimes you don't have to ... it's more of wanting to. Heck, I do it all the time but then I usually get the upgrades for free or next to nothing. After dialing in gain, or OD, or whatever other effects, the stock PUs on "most" modern, well-made or reputable guitars are pretty good. A decent tube amp can "sometimes" make subpar guitars sound half-way decent.

I'm sure Slash or Zakk can play my cheap, you-get-what-you-pay-for Agile AL 3000M with stock PUs on a concert tour and still kick ass.