well, ive found an ok guitarist and an absolutely brill drummer and started a band. One problem though, inbetween songs Matty seems to continuosly play drums, like he is trying to prove his speed on the drum kit although we already know he is ace. And Russ tends to doodle on his guitar. But if I tell them to stop sometimes they dont. So far we have made one song in about 7 hours of practice together. But that is because I cannot get there attention for long enough to write more.

They dont really listen to me much and prefer to just be left alone to play random stuff on their instruments (which sometimes sounds awful when done together). What should I do to get them to listen to me more (except for shouting down the mic)?
get a megaphone, or destroy their ears with feedback
Quote by Dogruitag
i think he wants to dream theater to be considered more metal, so he dyed his beard.

Quote by LookAlive
Lmfao, this is the best thread ever, aside from the fact that it involves a girl being harpooned through a tent.
i dunno i've never found a bassist and my band has never practiced lol cuz our drummer moved
your mom goes to college
maybe you should suggest that ye try and write songs as part of a jam. you know, get your drummer to start off playing a beat, then get your guitar player goin over it, at least you'll be getting something constructive done.

a band needs time to gel together, so that everyone will tend to play as a unit rather than individuals and the best way to do this is to jam a lot so ye get used to each others styles.

if that's not working, try to take them aside and explain that pointless meanderings aren't condusive to song crafting....or sumthin
ahhh. i had this problem for the first few practices
has to be said..this is just the whole male ego thing from my point of vieww
everyone just wants to prove their point that there instrument is the loudest & that they're very good in their instrument
it's soooo frustrating when you really want to get something going
talk to them
[not at a practice]
& just ask them.if they're serious, then why are they ****en around all the time?
or maybe have a warm up time before practice, where everyone can make as much noise as they can..get all that out of their systemm..& after 30minutes of that, you may find they do it alot less as they've has some time to **** around before
instead of interrupting practices
Fender American Deluxe Telecaster
Marshall JCM800
Boss Tu-2, Os-2, DD-3
Quote by Unforgivable
well, ive found an ok guitarist and an absolutely brill drummer and started a band. One problem though, inbetween songs Matty seems to continuosly play drums, like he is trying to prove his speed on the drum kit although we already know he is ace. And Russ tends to doodle on his guitar. But if I tell them to stop sometimes they dont. So far we have made one song in about 7 hours of practice together. But that is because I cannot get there attention for long enough to write more.

They dont really listen to me much and prefer to just be left alone to play random stuff on their instruments (which sometimes sounds awful when done together). What should I do to get them to listen to me more (except for shouting down the mic)?
You don't yet have a band. It may look like a band and you may think you're in a band, but it's not a band. A band is a group of musicians coming together to rehearse with the ultimate goal of performing live and possibly recording. Instead, you have a collection of noodlers. Either resign yourself to having fun with your noodling friends or continue looking for some musicians who understand what a band is. Good luck.
All things are difficult before they are easy.
- Dr. Thomas Fuller (British physician, 1654-1734)
Quote by Freepower
For everything you need to know - gpb0216.
on second thoughts
i agree with him ^^^
Marshall JCM800
Boss Tu-2, Os-2, DD-3
Quote by superdawggy77
i dunno i've never found a bassist and my band has never practiced lol cuz our drummer moved

What does this have to do with anything???

Well, one thing you can do is turn off their amps ( for guitar ) because this really pisses em off and gets em 2 stop doin it ( because they did it to me and i stopped ) or, when the drummer is playing his drums, just grab a stick and play the cymbals and stuff, and hell stop because its very annoying to him you playing his set when hes trying 2 jam, and also he will be suprised, try these for the short term.
so glitter wizard
all you're getting at is
MEGA PISS EM OFF
x
Marshall JCM800
Boss Tu-2, Os-2, DD-3
Quote by gpb0216
You don't yet have a band. It may look like a band and you may think you're in a band, but it's not a band. A band is a group of musicians coming together to rehearse with the ultimate goal of performing live and possibly recording. Instead, you have a collection of noodlers. Either resign yourself to having fun with your noodling friends or continue looking for some musicians who understand what a band is. Good luck.

well, we have a 1 n half hour gig in sept and i wanna be ready for it
threaten them both with physical violence, if that doesnt work threaten them with your singing.
My band had this problem too. Here's the thing. There shouldn't be any "one" person in charge of the band.. A band is a "group" project. I found that when one person gets too bossy in the band, everyone tends to shut their ears and goof off.. No one likes to be told how to run their band. Try asking for their suggestions and oppinions. Maybe they'll be more likely to listen if you listen to them.

Shutting off their amps and equipment will tick them off.. as stated by other people in these posts, but if you want to start animosity between your band members and risk making someone mad enough to quit, then go right ahead. Being the guitarist in my band, I know what it's like to be jamming along and have a fellow band mate unplug me or turn off my amp and it infuriates me. But then again, i listen when someone has something to say.

If none of this works, set them aside individually (outside of practice) and explain to them the difficulties their causing and how serious you are and how series they need to be to be a part of this band. If they don't understand or are still persistant in being a neusance, then my best suggestion would be to find new members.. This may be hard, but would benifit your band in the long run.

To be in a band, an open mind is a necessity. If you're not willing to listen to the rest of them, then they won't be willing to listen to you when you have something important to say.

There, you have my little bit of constructive criticizm, I hope I helped.

-Corey
everyone is right. just start gentle and if it dont work (like it didn't for my old band) then start pissing them off.

oh, and if things get really bad, look for replacements behind thier backs... a little sneaky, but you can use it as leverage in a fight. you can go out on top and they will be left with nothing.

i love spite
Quote by Unforgivable
well, we have a 1 n half hour gig in sept and i wanna be ready for it
You very tellingly said I wanna be ready for it. Until the rest of your "band" wants to be ready for your September gig, you're wasting your time and energy. Again, good luck.
All things are difficult before they are easy.
- Dr. Thomas Fuller (British physician, 1654-1734)
Quote by Freepower
For everything you need to know - gpb0216.