There's a laney vc50 (combo of vh100r) in local music shop for £500, i've tried it and it's amazing. I was just wondering if there was any other option for a good metal amp with good cleans. I've considered stretching my budget to an orange rocker 30 - is this good for metal and cleans, and is there anything else?
Marshall DSL401!! Awesome for classic rock and blues and with a bit of a boost or the right pickups can do incredible metal.
~ My Gear ~

Gibson Les Paul Studio in Alpine White with EMG 81/60
Fender Stratocaster
Marshall DSL401
Boss Metal Zone MT-2
Boss Super Overdrive SD-1
Boss Noise Suppressor NS-2
Digitech RP80
Samson Wireless
Fender Champions Series 30
Save a bit more and get an Engl Screamer Combo. You can get them for £650 if you hunt around and they're pretty much as good as a Mesa Boogie (maybe better) for about £500 less.
I've heard that the Peavey XXX 40 Watt amp is very good at this price, but I personally have not tried one out. Second opinion on this please?
Jackson RR5
Epiphone LP Standard
Ibanez S370
Marshall JCM 800 4103 Combo
Roland Cube 60
^ nah, but if you import it'll be the wrong voltage and you'll have to get a transformer and so forth...

i don't think the orange rocker 30 is a metal amp.

I'd go with the laney, unless you want to fork up the extra for a screamer.

I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
With an OD in front of it the Orange sounds great, IMO. I think I'd go for that with the Boss SD-1 myself!
Quote by korinaflyingv
cool thanks davey
so why arent you a mod anymore?

there should be something about it in the site feedback forum, under tavern or something like that.

the orange is really nice too- just a bit less metal. and more classic voiced- you might need an eq as well as an OD with it. But if it's anything like the 50 watter i tried, it's very, very nice.

Just try everything you can get your hands on, lol.

I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
^ haven't tried a thunder- you'd need to try them both to make an informed decision.

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
^ yeah, that'd be the best thing to do. better to waste £15 on a train ticket, than £500 on an amp that wasn't the best you could get.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
^ yeah, go for it then. That's about what it cost me to get to the wembley guitar centre when i was in london last summer on holiday. It was worth it!

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
^ laney, mesa, peavey, engl, marshall, ashdown ( i think).

probably fender and the like too, but i assume you aren't after them...
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
ANY Behringer V-Ampire or Line 6 Spider II
R.I.P.:
Randy Rhoads (December 6, 1956 – March 19, 1982)
Dimebag Darrell (August 20, 1966 – December 8, 2004)
Les Paul (June 9, 1915 – August 13, 2009)
Ronnie James Dio (July 10, 1942 – May 16, 2010)
^ agreed. unfortunately, they only had a powerball that had just arrived when i went, so i didn't get to try it head to head with the laneys and peaveys... and being on holiday, I was kinda short on time. But if you have time, you should try everything you can- even amps that you think won't do the tone you want.

Also, they have a soundproof room- that means you can crank them to 10- maybe bring attenuating earplugs or something?

I wish i'd had earplugs when i went, lol.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
^ well, i was there about a year ago, lol.

the didn't have a fallen angel when i was there, or i'd have tried it. I only got to try one of those about two weeks ago, when I was in scotland.

on their site it says they have a savage too- if they do, I strongly suggest trying one as well. It's less out and out metal than the powerball (going by my savage se).

they had a GH when I was there, but I didn't try it, unfortunately.

you'd want to ring them or email them, basically- they're bound to have sold all the stuff that was there a year ago, lol. There's also a mcdonalds handy to it, which was of course perused by me, since amp testing is hard work.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
^ like a slightly more modern sounding, and bassier tsl.

but you can get nice classic rock tones on the clean channel/channel 1, with the gain cranked up.

it depends what you're after, in terms of savage vs powerball. powerball = extremely brutal. savage = still brutal, but more aimed at hard rock as well.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
^ haven't tried the thunder.

bear in mind, it's all in how the amp is eq-ed/recorded etc. I can eq my savage se to sound 95% (at least) like I remember the powerball sounding.
Just because the savage recording doesn't sound like the powerball doesn't mean it can't sound like that, lol.

But it's true, the powerball is the more all-out metal amp.

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?