I'm either going to get a Marshall Tsl 100 or a Mesa Dual Rectifier 100. In terms of versatility, which of these amps is better? I play everything except country. I usually dont play ultra heavy stuff but I would like the capacity to get some fairly heavy gain if I wanted it. Thanks

btw I'll be running a Gibson Les Paul Custom through the amp.
they're both very versitile, so thats a tough choice. If it was me, id get the marshall, but hey thats just me
TSL = horrible sterile sounding amp

Dual Recto = versatile, does all the tsl does, but better.

Hard choice indeed.

And a TSL with a Metal Zone? You could get better tone with a paper bag full of bees than that combination.
Ibanez -> Peavey -> Eardrums

Apparently I'm on some list of people to listen to..?
I have to agree I'm really not a fan of Marshall amps. Everyone I've played has been rubbish compared to the Mesa/Engl/Peavey sitting next to it.
(caugh caugh) MESA.... maybe I'm bias?
Mesa Dual Rec/ Mesa 4X12 cab
01 PRS Custom 22
06 PRS Singlecut Ann.
1965 Fender Mustang
Ibanez acoustic
AceFrehley Epiphone LP
Takamine Explorer
tr-2 tu-2 / EHX DMM / MXR Script Phase 90 / SMM w/ HAZR
WH-1 Whammy / 535Q Crybaby
i would say the dual recto but if you want a marshall go for the dsl. not as many channels but has way better tone (Imo)
This is the way I see it - the dual recto can do Marshall sounds and craploads more, but the Marshall can't do Mesa sounds, or any sound other than a Marshall sound. Since both amps are comparable in price, it seems like a clear winner to me.
Guitars: Custom Lado Earth 2000-3, Custom ESP Explorer, BC Rich KKV, Gibson LP Studio, Greco SG, El Degas Stratocaster, Agile AL-3000, LTD EX-351

Rig:Marshall JVM410H + Marshall 1960A, Boss Noise Suppressor
I'd say the Mesa. Why? Because the Mesa has so much distortion that you could ever need, even if you didn't want that much you could just turn it down, and the three channels it has... So like yeah, I would totally gte a Recto over a Marshall ANYDAY.
If you don't need the heavy distortion all the time, you should probably look into a different Boogie head, like the F100 or the Mark IV. Dual Rectos are great and all that, but the cleans and "in between" gain sounds aren't as good as other Boogies.
Hi, I'm Peter
Really? Jesus uses a Mark IV? Wow, it truly is the Holy Grail of amplifiers...

I love mine.
Hi, I'm Peter
nah. I got my combo for around $1,700 new. That was 8 years ago. If he's talking Dual Recto (coughcoughposercoughcough), the Mark IV shouldn't be a stretch. Most flexible amp out there, IMO.
Hi, I'm Peter
You can get Mark IVs for the same price as you can Rectifiers new or used. I can basically trade my Single recto straight across for one right now, I wont because I have someone interested in it (and that is important to me)

But I duno. I'm really starting to not like rectifiers. The more I play on mine the worse it gets.

That and too many n00bs ask questions about them on UG and I get tired of seeing the same question six times in a row. Do you know what the definition of insanity is? Repeating an action over and over again and expecting a different result. Take a hint n00bs *cough* don't be crazy, read the threads that are already posted.
Marshall TSLs suck
Funky P is right!
and MY dream amp is a mark IV too, I just love that "harmonic" switch
if you play everything except country, i'd get a different amp.

I'd take a recto over a tsl after about one second's thought ( i tried them head to head about a week ago).

But for a little bit of everything, i wouldn't be buying a recto either.

I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?