Hey all, I'm kinda in a dilemma about what amp i need to buy. I was thinking of buying a Marshall JCM 2000 a little while back until i stumbled upon a Vox AC30cc2, which sells for around £670. I Just wanted to know what you guys think of either, in terms of tonal quality, value for money and reliabilty etc, and which one you would prefer.

I play a Gibson Les Paul, and i play music from all different styles and genres (classical, pop- rock, punk, metal).
the marshall. it has great cleans too. o you check out a dsl or tsl for more versatility
Quote by steven seagull
Can I save money by using lightbulbs instead of tubes - will energy saving lightulbs last even longer?

Quote by latinosuperstud
if i buy a les paul studio and walk out into public a man in a clown and/or gorilla suit named tyrese, will come attack me and/or rape me
Quote by korinaflyingv
ac30 cannot do metal, unless you have a distortion pedal, which kinda defeats the point of having a tube amp

Hmm.. It's good you mentioned that. I was planning on using a distortion pedal on the Vox for when i play metal. Why would it defeat the point of having a tube amp?
Go for the Vox simply because of its tonal character. It has far more actual character and qualities as an amp than the Marshall not to mention it has a wonderful clean sound. With a good set of humbuckers it'll push into Plexi territory and with a good booster it'll do pretty much whatever you please.

The overdrive on it is really something though,you can get a perfect Who Live At Leeds sound out of it.
scratch my former post, i got 2 amps confused
Quote by fosho
how....did you find that wiki article?
youre a weird one tjdjr09

Last edited by tjdjr09 at May 30, 2006,
Quote by 12eTa1217e17
Hmm.. It's good you mentioned that. I was planning on using a distortion pedal on the Vox for when i play metal. Why would it defeat the point of having a tube amp?

correct me if i'm wrong, but i thought the whole point of getting a tube amp was having nice distortion on it, and not having to use a distortion pedal
Quote by korinaflyingv
correct me if i'm wrong, but i thought the whole point of getting a tube amp was having nice distortion on it, and not having to use a distortion pedal

and thats the reason why all the pros have 2-mile long pedal boards?
They two totally different amps on each end of the spectrum. one is famous for its distortion and the other for its crunch. What is more important to you?
Hmm... i only occasionally play metal in band practise.. never when i gig. The crunch tone would probably be more important, along with clean tone.
using a distortion pedal does not defeat the point of getting a tube amp. tube sounds so much better that solid state anyday. I have a tube amp and i mainly use the amps distortion but i can also achieve other distorton sound that my amp cannot do on its own. Tube has more of an organic feel to it where as a solid state ( with or with out distortion) feel cold an sterile.
Quote by 12eTa1217e17
Hmm... i only occasionally play metal in band practise.. never when i gig. The crunch tone would probably be more important, along with clean tone.

Then go with the AC30 with a nice OD pedal, you won't be sorry, they are truely timeless amps that you'll even enjoy when your 60 years old.
I'd say Marshall.

Fro those genres what you said you like it can do them all pretty well.

And Gibson Les Paul + Marshall tube amp = Sweet. It's the famous guitargasm.

LINK

EDIT: second post of the thread in the link.

nakki
Then go with the AC30 with a nice OD pedal, you won't be sorry, they are truely timeless amps that you'll even enjoy when your 60 years old

I'd say Marshall.

Fro those genres what you said you like it can do them all pretty well.

And Gibson Les Paul + Marshall tube amp = Sweet. It's the famous guitargasm.

Choices, Choices....
I'm guessing the Vox would be better for gigging because of it's size. But supposedly it weighs 32kg! Would it be a wise idea to haul around a Marshall half- stack into pubs and other small venues?
I'd say save up a bit more n get a screamer combo Great for metal and badass cleans aslo nice crunch
Very different amps, one's great at cleans and light gain/crunch, and the Marshall's well known for its distortion.

Try them out, see which one you prefer.
"Breathe, breathe in the air
Don't be afraid to care"

Fender Strat/Tokai LS80>few pedals>Orange Rocker 30
what do you call metal?

I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
what do you call metal?

Bands like Metallica, Slayer, Pantera, Trivium and Hatebreed.

When I play metal it's mostly thrash.

EDIT: I own a Jeckyll and Hyde overdrive/distortion pedal, and was thinking of using it with the Vox to create the hi - gain that i will need now and then. That way i can have great tone and hi - gain in one unit.

The reason i'm a bit skeptical about the marshall is it's clean tone channel, and it's size.
Last edited by 12eTa1217e17 at May 30, 2006,
^ if you can get up to £800, I'd suggest a serious look at an engl screamer combo. that price should include the footswitch.

the wembley guitar centre has them- and peavey, mesa, laney and marshall, so you can try all those amps head to head.

I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by 12eTa1217e17

The reason i'm a bit skeptical about the marshall is it's clean tone channel, and it's size.

Many Marshall's still have good cleans but nobody buys a Marshall just for its cleans
Ok, heres another question:

Which Marshall amps would you guys recommend as a worthy investment?
^That's a bit of a general question.

You mean, and a real investment, to buy and then sell? Or to buy and play?
"Breathe, breathe in the air
Don't be afraid to care"

Fender Strat/Tokai LS80>few pedals>Orange Rocker 30
Pretty much any all tube Marshall will be good. Of coarse some will be better at getting certain tones than others. Some good lines include; JTM, JMP, JCM800, JCM900, JCM2000, their Bluesbreaker combo's, and a few more but those are your good Marshall's
So basically your saying any Marshall amp with a J in it's name is good?

That'll be easy on the brain...
Last edited by 12eTa1217e17 at Jun 1, 2006,
pretty much, there are exceptions though................. hopefully they won't come out with a JMG anytime soon