Learn Improvisation, Harmonization, Speed and everything a Pro should know...

Hello and Welcome to First edition of The Pro System, in these articles you'll be Learning alot of things covering Improvisation, Harmonization, Speed, Resolving, and anything a Pro should learn, but I won't cover everything in this Single Article, so instead I will cut this in Parts. In the End I will always include a Special Artist and talk about his Style. Hope you like this Article/Lesson. This Article is going to cover:

Note: This article is not for beginners, it is for Intermediate/ Advanced Players who have a bit of Experience.

Resolving

Resolving is another calling for a way to lead songs back to the Root/ Tonic. It is used for chord progressions and it can be used to Single Note applications. The 7th Degree is called The Leading Note because it leads back to the tonic. The Leading note is half step from the tonic, so when you resolve, you use half steps. In single note applications it is pretty easy because you just have to think to play from one fret down back to the tonic. When you play with chord resolutions it gets a bit more complicated. When a chord progression is being played, you are always trying to resolve back to the tonic, not every chord resolves directly to the tonic, but they will resolve indirectly.

The chord that resolves to the tonic the best is formed from the 5th (V) degree of the scale. The reason that this chord is the best is because it contains the leading note (7th degree). In the Key of C, B is the leading note because it is the note before C. Here is a diagram on what chords resolve directly to the tonic.

C Major Notes

C E G

C Major Scale

I II III IV V VI VII Octave
    C D E F G A B C

G Major Notes (V chord)

G B D

C Major Notes

C E G

G7 Notes

G B D F

C7 Notes

C E G Bb

B Diminished 7 Notes

B D F G#

The II chord resolves directly to the V chord (and therefore indirectly to the tonic) because the II chord is the 5th degree from the V. In other words it is the dominant of the dominant. If you took the V chord (G) and wrote out its major scale the 5th degree of that scale (G major scale) is the same as the II chord (in this case it is D). This is where we get the II-V-I Jazz Progression. The IV chord also resolves nicely to the V chord but not as well as the II chord. This is where we get the chords of the 12 bar blues (I-IV-V).

The 12 Bar Blues
    (Part 1)

The 12 Bar Blues is simply a chord progression. It is a I - IV - V progression. This progression is often used in jam sessions. Most of the time, musicians use Dominant Seventh Chords for this progression. So for the key of E you would use E7, A7, and B7. The Reason it's 12 Bar Blues is because it is played over 12 bars. The 12-bar blues progression is the main underpinning of the vast majority of blues tunes out there. In order to start playing blues you will want to know what a 12-bar blues progression is. The most basic explanation of the 12-bar blues need answer only two questions: "What chords/notes do I play?" and "What order/progression do I play them in?", Here is the Structure of The 12 Bar Blues:

| I Chord (E7) | % | % | % | IV Chord (A7) | % | I Chord (E7)
    | % | V Chord (B7) | IV Chord (A7) | I Chord (E7) | V Chord (B7) |

Bar Number 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12
    Traditional 12 Bar Blues I7 I7 I7 I7 IV7 IV7 I7 I7 V7 IV7 I7 V7/I7
    Modern 12 Bar Blues I7 IV7 I7 I7 IV7 IV7 I7 I7 V7 IV7 I7 V7/I7

Notice that the first 4 bars are E7. That is the Traditional way to play the first 4 bars. You might want to try the Modern method by substituting the IV chord into the 2nd bar. I advise you not to try the Modern version until you know the Traditional version. Notice that the last bar has two different chords in it like the second bar does. The chord shown on top of the bar (the V chord) is the chord you play if you are going to repeat the 12 bar blues back to the beginning. You use the I chord if you are ending the song. When you play the 12 Bar Blues, you can't just go out there and play one chord per bar for 4 beats. You have to create a rhythm, shuffle, swing, or whatever brings the blues out, and Feel brings Blues great, so try to play what you feel and in the same time obeying the rules.

Playing with Style

First of all, playing with style doesn't mean you stick to a Guitarist and Play exactly like him, it means that you play by your ogirinal Style, so how do you play with your own style? Imitating other Guitarists is good, but combining each of their skills together is better, and that way you will develop your own style, without even noticing. Here are some Guitarists with Great Sense of Style:

Imitating their moves, Techniques, equipment, style is great but as I said before, you need to combine them, for example:

You get Slash's Power Stance, get Joe Perry's Strap Height, Jimmy Page's wild movements on stage, Jimmy Hendrix performance and style, Eric Clapton's Tricks while playing, few of Angus Young's head Banging a Freak Show Appearances and a bit of Richie Sambora's Stance mixed together will get a great Performance and Style but in order to get better results, why not stealing a short lick which you like from every Guitarist and stick them to your head? This way you'll be having the same sound of each of them but combined to one, and this will be your own style. Learn about their techniques, and how they learned some techniques so you'll be rewarded with a great technique too.

Now that you've combined all of your Favourite Guitarist's Skills, you need to give it one last touch to state it as your own style. After playing and imitating them all for a long time, you'll get used to their style and will become naturally when you play, now invent some things which you like to do, which however you think it's original and try to add that to your style, after alot of practice and a long time playing, your style will be formed, and noone can tell that you imitated other Guitarists because it's your own style now, and you have nothing to do with them, and by time their styles in you seem to fade away, don't be alarmed, because it's just your own style taking place into your old, and that's the best of it, your style keeps to upgrade everytime.

The Slash Style

For those of you who have been living out of this world: Slash was an Ex-Guns n Roses Guitarist and Current Velvet Revolver Guitarist.

Every guitar player recognizes Slash's talent. He's one of the best guitar players of all time. Slash doesn't use music to express his guitar skills. He uses his guitar to express his feelings in his songs. He prefers to play melodic music rather than play fast stuff although he can really play fast.

Now First of all, Slash's tuning is a half step down so that is:

Eb Ab Db Gb Bb Eb

This is his usual Tuning, but alternate tunings include:

D A D G B E
      D Gb Db Gb Bb Db
      Db Ab Db F Ab Db

Rhythm Playing: