I ordered an amp off ebay. ( I know) It's a Hiwatt Bulldog 20. It works, but I have to play with the channel switch to get volume on the overdrive channel and just can't seem to get much volume at all on the clean channel. If I play with the swith I do get some pops though. Since I don't have allot in this amp I don't want to take it to the shop for repair. any suggestions on what I should do to attempt to fix?
Is it a tube amp? Maybe retube it or get it check out by a tech. Otherwise, I'm not really sure.
It's Solid State. Once I get it to lock it it plays good, heaven help me if I need to change channels.
Quote by sashki
Either pot or something wrong with the switch itself? It's a wierd problem...does it have volume controls for each channel?

Same volume control for each channel, I really think the issue is with the switch, can you clean a switch or do you have to replace it?
You might try buying a can of air/air duster/whatever its called and clean it that way..

If that doesn't help any, then you might try taking it to a shop to get it looked at.
try posting this in GB&C im sure pink will spot it somewhere in the two and be able to help (there are also others in GB&C who can help you)
Quote by thesumoftwo
try posting this in GB&C im sure pink will spot it somewhere in the two and be able to help (there are also others in GB&C who can help you)

I put a link over there. thanks for the suggestion.
Next time just PM a mod to move the thread for you...
*reported*

And with that much info, it could be a ton of stuff...switching out the switches would be the first thing I'd do, and then I'd look around inside for any fried components or anything...is it a DSP amp?
I'm not very active here on UG currently.
I'm a retired Supermod off to the greener pastures of the real world.
Quote by That_Pink_Queen
Next time just PM a mod to move the thread for you...
*reported*

And with that much info, it could be a ton of stuff...switching out the switches would be the first thing I'd do, and then I'd look around inside for any fried components or anything...is it a DSP amp?

Wow, I feel like I just got busted ny the hall monitor for not having a bathroom pass. lol. I'll make note of it. Thanks.

I'm not sure if it's a DSP, infact I'm not sure what tha even means. I'm a super noob, I do know it's solid state if that helps. Here's a link to the amp. It's the bulldog 20 if you care to look. I appreciate the help.
DSP is... digital signal processing?
I'm pretty sure it means it has a whole bunch of digital effects (emulated chorus, reverb, etc)

and as far as electronics goes, it's almost never dust that's the problem (although dust should be cleaned anyway).
Yeah, DSP means digital crap...most amps with all sorts of effects built in are digital...

Which makes it crazy hard to fix...
But as I said before, switch replacement comes first.
Quote by That_Pink_Queen
Yeah, DSP means digital crap...most amps with all sorts of effects built in are digital...

Which makes it crazy hard to fix...
But as I said before, switch replacement comes first.

Nah, just standard Gain, Volume. Treble, Mid, Bass, Pressence and a Channel Switch. Pretty basic.

What's involved in a switch change, I'm confident I can make the change, but are there universal switches that I can pick up locally or do I need to order one from Hiwatt? Any thoughts?
If you can desolder the switch and describe it, I can work out some tests so we can figure out how it works, and then it should be easy to find one.
Quote by That_Pink_Queen
If you can desolder the switch and describe it, I can work out some tests so we can figure out how it works, and then it should be easy to find one.

I'll pull it out at home and take a pic of it, probally easier than me describing it, lol " it's this buttomn looking thingy." lol
Alright, cool.
Appreciate the input guys but i opened her up and used contact cleaner on the swich and all the pots. Worked like a champ. This set up sounds amazing. Thanks again.