So, yeah I was wondering if anyone could explain to me what it means when you say "in the key of __". Im trying to learn a bit of music theory, but i never know what people are talking about when they say " in the key of __".
"I have a large fridge at home and I've been eating alot of pork chops"
The key signature notates which notes (ABCDEFG) are sharp(#)ed or raised one semitone, flat(b)ed or lowered one semitone, double-sharped(X) or raised by two semitones, or double-flatted(bb) or lowered two semitones, and the key signature affects these notes until A) an accidental (#,b,X,bb) is placed in the the music that is not already included in the key signature or B) the key signature is changed.
In the Key of is usually the root note of the key. For instance CMaj is something like CEG
Cbeing the first note is the key being played in. There are more intense scales, they all boil down to the same principle. If some says"Lets jam in A" and you know that on the 6th string "E" in standard tuning and the 5th Fret is "A", and you know your scale pattern, well you are about 50% there, the remainng percentage has to do with talent and desire - you can divy it up anyway you wanna.
The key of a song refers to which notes can be played and still sound "right." In short, it's just a code so people know which notes and chords can be used. There's a much longer explanation that I'm sure someone can do much better than me, so I'll stop here.
Thanks guys
So does the first note in every scale determine what key its in?
Quote by wHere_aM_i

no. the first note of a scale is called the root note.

edit: to determine what key a scale is in you look at the notes that are in it and see what notes are sharp # or what notes are flat b.
“Science cannot solve the ultimate mystery of nature. And that is because, in the last analysis, we ourselves are part of nature and therefore part of the mystery that we are trying to solve.”

-Max Planck

☮∞☯♥
Last edited by metal4all at Jul 19, 2006,
the key really determines two things, the notes you can use and your resolution. if you had a song that used the notes G A B C D E and F# and resolves to A, then your key would be G with a note that it reflects the tonality of A dorian. just saying the key tells you what notes you can use doesnt quite cover the whole picture.
Quote by wHere_aM_i

Nope, you can tell the key by the key signature on the sheet music. But I assume you don't read sheet music, not many guitarists do.

So it's like this, if you wanna jam in say, the key of G Major, you could use a scale for soloing. So if you're using a scale pattern, which is very helpful, you'd find a G note, then the pattern goes from there.

A G Major scale would start on a G, yeah, but you don't have to use that as your starting note.
Quote by Godzilla1969
I love you, Muphin. You have great taste in music.

Quote by Pacifica112J
Muphin > You

The Cooperation