As you can see, I'm getting an Ibanez SA260FM and it has a non-locking SAT 30 trem, so I was just wondering what exactly is the difference between locking tuners and non-locking tuners? And would they make much difference to tuning stability? And roughly how much would they cost?

Thanks
Gear:

Crafter FX550 EQL
Ibanez SA260FML

THD Univalve
Framus FR-212 Cab (Celestion Vintage 30's)

Dunlop Crybaby

Started playing May 28th 2005
Locking tuners will help somewhat. They will make tunign a lot more stable for regular playing. With a tremolo that doesn't also lock at the bridge, they won't hold strings completely in tune if you're using the tremolo, but definately will hold them better than standard tuners. But for non-trem use, they should make a difference.
Guitars: Custom Lado Earth 2000-3, Custom ESP Explorer, BC Rich KKV, Gibson LP Studio, Greco SG, El Degas Stratocaster, Agile AL-3000, LTD EX-351

Rig:Marshall JVM410H + Marshall 1960A, Boss Noise Suppressor
Locking tuners, instead of wrapping the string several times around the shaft of the tuning machine, use either a pin or a lever action to *lock* the string in place. Remember if you use them, though, that you should still wrap at least a half wind worth of string around the post. They'll cost you probably around $50-60 for a set, depending on what you get, and might require minor modification to install. Another option is a locking nut, which will provide you a little more tuning stability than locking tuners, although it makes tuning a little more...interesting.
Hi, I'm Peter
do either a locking nut or locking tuners need any complicated work done? And would it be worth it? Thanks
Gear:

Crafter FX550 EQL
Ibanez SA260FML

THD Univalve

Dunlop Crybaby

Locking nut isn't even an option unless you have a locking trem (which you don't). Get a set of Grover lockign tuners. They're only a slight more expensive than regular Grovers and won't require any modification to your guitar.
Guitars: Custom Lado Earth 2000-3, Custom ESP Explorer, BC Rich KKV, Gibson LP Studio, Greco SG, El Degas Stratocaster, Agile AL-3000, LTD EX-351

Rig:Marshall JVM410H + Marshall 1960A, Boss Noise Suppressor
thats what I thought, well I'll get the guitar and play it for a while, and see how it is after a couple of months....thanks
Gear:

Crafter FX550 EQL
Ibanez SA260FML

THD Univalve

Dunlop Crybaby